Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Magnum Engines?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 10:02 AM
allena99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Magnum Engines?

I have several Magnums. Two 2-stroke 40's have been in service for several years, and have been totally reliable. Very powerful for their size. One is in a 6 pound plastic SPAD, and hauls it with great authority on a 10x6 prop. I have a 4-stroke .52 which I acquired nearly new, and I have used it for two years. Not a powerhouse, but .52 4-strokes are not expected to be. It is very easy-starting, reliable, runs great on a 12x6 prop and hauls my Twist .40 very nicely. I also have a 2-stroke .52XLS. Lots of power, but I have had a lot of problems keeping it running. I like my Magnums, but this one might be an exception.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:04 PM
mirwin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Magnum .80 4-stroke has been a totally reliable engine for over three years. Just purrs like a kitten, and hauls my 6 1/2 pound GP Corsair just fine.

Mike

Old 07-17-2006, 08:52 PM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Might just as well add my 2 cents .The 4 strokes seem to be the better end of the magnum line .My 52XLS has been a headache since day one .But its a cake walk compared to the 91 XLS I have seen several of them and yet to see one that ran right .
My buddys wouldn't hold a head Gasket like I seen a few others here having the same problem .I tossed it in the lathe and it wasn't warped .I didn't check the sleeve as he was in a hurry to get it back together .after several tries and 2 trips back to hobby people,it found a new home in the dumpster.For my money I will buy something I know will run ,and run for a long time .Granted you can get a bad engine from anyone but I sure see lots of posts in this thread regarding how the folks at the magnum service centers takes good care of ya.That tells me theres allot of engines going back to them including one of mine (52xls).
Like its already been said its a crap shoot ,sometimes ya win and sometimes ya don't.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:43 PM
chashint

I have had excellent performance with Magnum engines.
36xls, 61 4s, 70 4s, 91 4s
When Hobby People runs them on sale and Tower matches the price plus has the $25 off $150 code the value of the 4 strokes just can't be beat. Don't get me wrong, I really like my OS engines and prefer them over the Magnums, but once broken in the Magnums have been rock solid performers too. My Magnums have all required extensive break in before they would idle and transition smoothly, i did this on a test stand and this is the major reason I prefer the OS engines, they pretty much are ready to go on a plane when you open the box.
As mentioned very early in the thread the needle valve on the Magnum does not have as fine of control as the OS, this has not been a problem but it is noticable.
For me using the same props and fuel I get about 600 RPM more out of the Magnum 70 and 91 four strokes than I do out of my OS 70 and 91.
If the good sale price comes back I will buy Magnum again if the price is close I will buy OS, since it has taken well over a gallon of fuel to break in each Magnum I just count that as part of the purchase price now.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:34 PM
papion007
My Feedback: (19)

I am gonna crash and burn....Please somone tell me where I can get a muffler for a Magnum Pro 45 engine,or a close fit.
I have been looking for two weeks and no luck.
Pappy
Old 07-23-2006, 12:09 AM
chashint

Another Magnum 91 4 stroke story.
Brand new engine, it is the new design with the tube from the crankcase to the carb.
Mounted in plane, took it to the field, cranked right up and I ran one tank of fuel through it at full throttle.
On the second tank I leaned the low end and it idles beautifully, transition is very smooth, set the high end to 9000 and let it idle for a while. Transition was still smooth and it seemed to be working perfectly so I decide to give it a test fly. Flawless is the only word that comes to mind.
This engine was just as easy to put in the air as an OS.
I now have 4 Magnum and 2 OS 4 strokes on flyable planes, all of my engines are rock solid reliable.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:38 PM
HellcatAce
My Feedback: (6)

I had 2 of the .52 xls POS's. The first one came as a combo with a Magic 300 ARF. Bought the other to get my old trainer back in the air since I had dropped out of the flying part of hobbies for about 11 years. Since I worked at Hobby People, I got great a great deal on the seperate motor. I worked with that one for quite a while. After 6 deadsticks and chasing air leak after air leak, I took the thing back, along with the other one I hadn't run and traded them in for OS 46 AX's. Even though I spent more for the OS's, I took my precious free time into consideration and decided that I can't afford to fiddle with cheap, crappy engines when I could be flying.

My advice concerning ANY Magnum engine....keep saving for a better motor
Old 10-27-2006, 10:54 PM
max-nix
My Feedback: (1)

Check Tower Hobbies, the Tower 45 muffler is cheap & will most likely fit.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:06 AM
aatiger
My Feedback: (26)

Hello All,

Has anyone had any experience with the Magnum 1.6? Thanks

Allan
Old 04-08-2007, 11:24 AM
cwalke32477

I have a magnum .91 four strok engine. Can you tell me if the os .91 surpass flex pipe will fit on it?
Old 04-08-2007, 01:08 PM
Ejiro

ORIGINAL: cwalke32477

I have a magnum .91 four strok engine. Can you tell me if the os .91 surpass flex pipe will fit on it?
Yes it will fit. I have one fitted in my magnum.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Parkerm
My Feedback: (6)

I have owned and operated several Magnum FS engines. I find that they are of inferior quality when compared to OS or Saito. The major problem is the carb adjustments. They are just too coarse. In addition the needles are too loose and have a habit of leaking air. All that being said I had one Magnum .80 FS that was the envy of all the pilots in my club. It had compression like a Saito. It would start with one flip and idle at less than 2000 rpm. Ran like a top, never needed adjustment. I flew it often for 3 years and then it was involved in a midair collision. On the basis of that one I bought 4 others of various sizes. Those were hugely disappointing.
The others that I have had, had lousy compression and wouldn't idle. I had one replaced by Hobby People and got no improvement. On another I overhauled it and worked on the valves. I couldn't make it better, but it wasn't any worse. It's too big to be a fishing weight.
I'll never buy another one. I'm moving to higher quality and price. I would guess there would be one really good Magnum in a box of ten.
P.S. I know a guy that replaced his Magnum carb with an OS carb after fighting those needles. It helped a lot. He had to turn the OD of the carb throat a little to get it in the engine. On the FS models I know that OS valves and springs will work. I expect other parts are interchangeable too.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:15 AM
timmy45140
My Feedback: (20)

I currently have a few Magnums. A 52 fs with several gallons of gas through it, it hauls my Hangar 9 cub through its paces quite well. I don't think it will ever die. A 91 four stroke with 2 gallons through it, and a 1.20 on my Dynaflite Spitfire. I can't complain about the four strokes. They are great for the money and have great power for the price.

I also have a few of their 2 strokes. A 40 pro, which if you ask me is exactly like my old OS 40 FSR inside and out. Also have a Thunder Tiger 46 pro(same as the magnum imo) also identical to the old OS FSR series. Both run like scalded dogs, the 40 is on my Direct Connection Tsunami and leaves nothing to be desired.

Right now I have a Magnum 25 GP that leaks out of every possible orifice.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:16 AM
pault
My Feedback: (34)

been using the 4 strokes for 10+ yrs.......i like them.................pault
Old 01-30-2008, 10:30 PM
exbrit49

After reading the various comments on Magnum engines I was alittle surprised. I am running a 91FS and it runs great! In fact it ran so well last summer I decided to order the 70FS for another new model this summer. I think the Magnum represents great value and is a much lower cost alternate to OS.
"Running in" is key to any engine performance and long life. I also add about 2% castor to the regular Omega Kool power and the engine seems to love the blend. It stays clean and runs consistantly, requiring very few needle adjustement even with drastic weather changes.
I think another thing I see, is that many modellers run their engines flat out at peak RPMs. THis is hard on any engine. I prefer to go one size up and run the engine on the lower side of the RPM range and a litte on the rich side = Long life and good clean runs and NO Deadstick landings
Happy flying to all and I LOVE my Magnums!
Old 02-12-2008, 08:22 PM
tomegan

Can anyone tell me a way to get more power from a magnum 28?I am to understand theres a "hop-up"procedure ,I have two of these and they dont do well against a norvell 25 at all.I also seem to go thru plugs fast.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:30 PM
waterloged

I have three of them, 2 91 4 strokes and a 70 4 stroke, the original 91 has well over 35 - 40 gallons of fuel through it and the others have over 20 gallons through them and no problems yet. I have dunked them in the lake float flying several times, very hard landings( Crashed?) several times but they still keep running great, I'd still buy another one or two. [sm=teeth_smile.gif]
Old 04-07-2008, 08:25 AM
HFrank

I had lots of troubles with my 52 XLS, but it was my fault, I had te engine with a standard glow plug, and this one NEEDS a hot range glow plug. Since I'm using an OS A3 in it, is my best engine, very powerful and reliable, I'll order another one.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:40 PM
holy moley

Well boys, here is my two cents worth. I have 4 Magnum engines, two .28 magnums on a Hobbico Twin and two 4 strokes, one is a .52 the other a .91 and they all run just fine. I just followed the manual recommendations but I do add 2 Oz. of castor oil to one gallon of the fuel. 10% nitro for the 28's and 15% nitro for the 4 strokes. The engines really need to be broke in properly. Takes a little bit of adjustment for low end idle after break in and I run them just a little rich on the high end.
I also found out that the hot glow plugs with idle bar sure help the .28 Magnums for smooth running idle and transmission to high RPM.
That twin engine plane is a blast to fly and it will fly OK on one engine but be very careful on landing using more rudder than ailerons!

The only fuel I do not put extra castor oil in is for my YS .91 four stroke which runs great on 20% nitro and 18% synthic blend so all the rest of my fleet (10 planes) run with extra castor oil.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86169.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	924460  
Old 04-18-2008, 08:39 AM
rebranger

Yes, a bunch, won't run WOT, then when adjusted won't idle..
Too tweeky & unrealiable.
Ed
Old 06-12-2008, 01:45 AM
srk866

can someone tell me a good starting point with the low speed on a xl91rfs?
Old 06-12-2008, 06:22 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

About 3 turns for a new engine.

But mine actually ran when broken in at between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 turns
Old 06-12-2008, 10:38 AM
srk866

Thanks !! i'm new to 4 cycle power but i knew that 11 turns out (factory setting with barrel fully closed ) was a little too much for my new 91.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:54 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sorry, I misread your question. Everyone usually asks about the High Speed needle and that's the information I gave.

The low speed is set with about .020" clearance from the high speed barrel with the throttle wide open.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:49 PM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: P-40 DRIVER

I played the lottery with Magnum and lost, my 91 four stroke is in heaven having been beaten to death by a 28oz framing hammer on my garage floor. It was replaced by a Saito, now I'm a happy guy again. see user review for details.
ROTFLMAO!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.