Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Enya 41-4c fs, running in help

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 02:10 PM
Eindecker111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enya 41-4c fs, running in help

Hi

I have a brand new Enya 41-4c fs in front of me,the instructions give very little away,on how to run them in,can someone please tell me, a good breakin method to use,on these enya four strokes. maybe you have one?
I hear comments that throttle should be fully open,and others say1/2 throttle,or less,running very rich,rpm seems to vary greatly,some say around 4000,others 6-7000,i am very confused?,so any help,and a good proven method would be very welcome

Thanks inadvance,and i lookforward to your replies

Mark
Old 06-01-2003, 08:55 PM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saito recommends 4000rpm for the first ten minutes at a very rich setting on the needle. Gradually lean it to a less rich setting for a 40 minute break-in. After break-in, peak out the rpm's then richen the mixture for a 200-300 rpm drop. O.S. is much the same on time, but recommends starting with 10 seconds of very rich alternating with 5 seconds of almost max. rps. for the first tank. For three more tanks, gradually give it more time at the leaner setting. O.S. is done at full throttle for all the tanks. Both brands say to wait until break-in to try to adjust the low speed needle. My Enya book is also very poor on break-in info.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:32 AM
Eindecker111

Thanks for the info

Iwas just wondering if when it states 4000 rpm,is that with fully open throttle,and rich mixture bring down the rpm to 4000,or does it mean open throttle to say 1/4 to give 4000 rpm,and rich up mixture,ajusting rpm to stay at 4000 on throttle.i hope that makes sense!!!

Mark
Old 06-02-2003, 09:06 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I run mine at full throttle. If it can't be richend up enough to bring it down to 4,000 then pull back the throttle some. It should be so rich it needs the hot shot on the plug to run. later daveo
Old 06-03-2003, 06:04 AM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sopwith, I believe Saito means whatever throttle setting that will give you 4000 rpm. They state in their manual that the low speed adjustment has been set at the factory for break-in. At 4000, the engine is running on the low speed needle only. At full throttle, the engine is running on the high speed needle only. Unless you know the specs on your Enya as to the basic setting for your low speed needle so your can richen it a bit for break-in, maybe you should break it in at full throttle with lots of smoke being expelled for the first tank.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:31 AM
southern_touch99

I think TimC is right, saito means that you set the adjustment to where they tell you two and dont exceed 4000 RPMS. Quater throttle is probobly a good rule of thumb but you really need a tach b/c different props are turning different speeds at 1/4 throttle. Just turn the Webra 3 turns out and start from their, dont exceed 4000 RPMS for the first ten min (it may need a hot shot on top if it shuts off, thats alright). After running, I let my head cool down then run it again gaining RPMS a little more this time, Now let the heads cool and go again, this time lean it just a touch and run around half. Let the heads cool down, another run, then cool, and then another run again but this time I mess with the transition of the motor (some on low, some on mid, some on high). I think its important that you dont "Redline" (exceed close to max. RPMs ) during break in with most four strokes. I dont know what Enya calls for about fuel but probobly any synthetic 10 - 15 % nitro will work. Im not saying that this is what Enya says to do or this is to the letter of what Saito says to do, I will say that this is what I do on smaller 4 strokes and all of mine are doing fine. One more side note, the valuves may need adjusting after the first gallon of gas or so.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:06 PM
Eindecker111

Thanks guys,alot of info has showed up,i think i will need to digest all these methods!!,ive an OS40fs to run in,and they say run at full throttle,but back off half a turn from optimum for first tank,then go fly but on the rich side!!,this seems to quick,if i go with the low rpm,and rich settings,stop and start etc,would this be ok to do? as suggested in your replies

Thanks again,and keep them coming

Sopwith