Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

I'm looking for a carb.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 09:23 PM
sirduncan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm looking for a carb.....

I have recently aquired an older OS 60 engine - the one with the '60' inside a large 'V'. I know this is a great engine because I got it from my brother and I spent a lot of time tuning it up just right.
The problem is that my brother crashed and destroyed the carb. So he got a larger one - big, black, rubber 'o'ring, funny looking needle valve with a large gold disc with a plus (+) and minus (-) sign on it.
I know that he had flown with this carb, but I would prefer to get the original back on it. Does anyone here know where I could get a carb that should belong on this engine? Can I buy a newer carb with a remote needle valve and use it? Which one? Otherwise, is there anyone that would suggest I stick with the black one thats on it?
More-over, I am putting it on the Cap 232 40 and the throttle arm on the carb hits the cowel. I had to cut away the cowl for the muffler he has on the engine, but that was on the bottom. The throttle arm is on the top and the cutaway would be very noticable. I don't want that.
Finally, the main reason I am looking for a different carb is because I have enough scars already from getting my finger and thumb in the prop while adjusting the needle valve. The needle valve on this carb is VERY close to the prop and I would prefer to set it back a bit in some way.
I appreciate any information yall might have. Thanks

sirduncan
Old 06-03-2003, 10:01 PM
maxtenet

The black carb sounds like a perry carb the way its described. They are very good carbs and people pay a premium to replace their original carbs with them. Once adjusted right, they are hard to beat with very smooth transition and response. All that said, if you have the wrong one for your engine, you will have nothing but trouble. It may be a pump carb or one with too large a venturi. In either case it will be tough to tune. Check out the Perry carb website for info. I use them and they are far better than any OEM carb(except Jett).
Old 06-04-2003, 10:18 PM
sirduncan

Perry Carb eh? Ok - Anyone got a web address on that?

I don't remember if I ever tuned this one up with this black carb on it. I'm not sure if my brother was able to fly it well (maybe thats why he crashed it - who knows.) If its a good carb, I guess I could use it. I still don't like having my fingers that close to the prop, and while I looked at it, I don't think there is anyway to 'remote' the needle valve. If I do use this one, does anyone have experience with the need for continual adjustment or not?

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:53 AM
maxtenet

Sorry,
the websitr is http://www.perrypumps.com.

Good Luck,
Max
Old 06-08-2003, 12:51 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

The large brass disc identifies it to me as a K&B carb. Try the US distributor for OS at Tower Hobbies. They may have a source for the original carburetor.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:55 PM
sirduncan

Thanks for that web address. Yes, its the Medium or Large Carb. Looks just like it. Now that I know what it is...... I hope it doesn't take tuning everytime I want to fly. Thanks again for the information.