Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Irvine .53 carb question

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 02:01 PM
tmproff
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Irvine .53 carb question

Ok, I just added a thrustmaster muffler to my Irvine .53....OMG it's amazing...I almost added 2k rpm on the ground. With a 12.25X3.75 I was getting 14,500 RPM's (With 10% nitro)...Well After doing some tinkering, I realized that the engine was running much too hot (smoking a bit when I shut it off) Ok.....time to rich up the top end...Opening up the needle valve seemed to not be effecting the plane. I shut the engine off, and started tinkering with the needle valve assembly. Well to make a long story short, I broke off the fuel nipple off the carb by accident. Anyone know where to get parts for a Jett carb? I just emailed Paul at Just engines. I was just wondering if anyone knew some company (or maybe Jet Carb themselves) that had a website for ordering. Thanks for your help!
Old 08-05-2002, 02:36 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default Irvine Carb..

Irvine makes the Jetstream carbs..Irvine used to make carbs for other engine brands, too. I have seen them (older plastic body) o n K&B Torpedo's.

JE will get you fixed up..

When an engine gets "on the pipe" the needle valve will seem to be not making a difference..until you throttle back and try to get back on the pipe. I just use trial and error to find out how much I need to richen it up from peak, 1/4 turn seems to be about right.

And yes, the UltraThrust mufflers do make an incredible difference in the power these engines produce. Mid to upper 14K is right at what I'm also getting on that prop.
Old 08-05-2002, 02:40 PM
tmproff

Very Useful info Chuck, thanks for replying. Paul emailed me back, and we're discussing how much of the needle valve assembly I am going to need to purchase. When I get everything up and running again, I'll be sure to adjust it the way you are describing, BTW, can you tell me how many turns out you have your high end (approx of course) Instructions say to start at 1 3/4 out, so I think I'm going to start at that and richen from there. The engine just seemed to be getting really hot.
Old 08-05-2002, 03:48 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

There is really no good way to know whether an engine is getting too hot unless you put a thermometer to it. When I bench test an engine. my Raytek infrared gun is always there along with the tach. I just wish there's a way I can turn off the laser sight on it. I don't need it when I'm pointing it an inch away from the cylinder head.

BTW, early RCV engines have Jetstream carbs on them. Later, they switched to what look like ASP carbs, no doubt for cost cutting reasons.
Old 08-05-2002, 04:46 PM
tmproff

Well I got another msg back from Paul, the entire assembly cost $6......When I mean hot, I am saying that a light smoke was comming off the engine. I do not have a heat gun to check. Hopefully when I get the replacement parts in, I'll be able to richen it up enough to keep it cool.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:10 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Hmmm... I'm not sure if that really is too hot. I generally don't worry unless the cylinder gets north of 350F. May be it's because I usually keep the engine wiped pretty clean, so I don't typically see smoke coming off the engine. 350F is hot enough to smoke fuel though.

Keep us updated on your progress. Even though I currently have no plan to extract more power out of my Irvine .53, it's always nice to know what works.

BTW, when I put an engine on a pipe, I usually "detune" it quite a ways past the typical setting for max power, so that the engine is always "on the pipe". This make for a lot better transition. Since I don't race, a smoother throttle response is preferable to all out performance. Is the thrustmaster tunable, or is it pretuned specifically for the Irvine?
Old 08-06-2002, 11:38 AM
tmproff

It is not tunable, but you can purchase different sizes based on the size of your engine. Since the Irvine has the same displacement/size of the OS .46 (and you can swap out the mufflers) I purchased the one that fits in that range. I agree with your comment about power, I really didn't need any more, but the muffler that comes with the Irvine was terrible, and fell apart within a week of flying it. I rigged it back together, but this added a bit of weight. The Thrustmaster muffler is larger, but lighter than the original. Adding the muffler did increase noise, but not by much, running 2k faster will do that to an engine
Old 08-06-2002, 02:05 PM
rsallen13
My Feedback: (1)

Is there a website for these mufflers?
Old 08-06-2002, 02:08 PM
tmproff

www.pspec.com

Also, check to see how close your muffler comes to the side of your plane. I had to purchase the muffler extension to make it fit on my Seduction Freestyle. Muffler was like $56 and the extension was 12 I think
Old 08-06-2002, 02:29 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

Is it really worth the $60!!!???

I used a header and mousse can muffler... I got 13,800 rpm with the same 12.25 x 3.75 prop. But more power was not what I was looking for... I wanted throttle transition, and that's what I got... I left the pipe really long... and used a 5 oz. white rain mousse can from my pipe... Really like it... I'm making a setup now for my Pizazz. I need to modify the pipe a little to clear the wing.. but I'm hoping for simular performance.
Old 08-06-2002, 02:31 PM
tmproff

I'm hitting 14,500 with a 12.25X3.75 prop......this thing is worth it in my honest opinion.

Here is a pic of it on my Seduction Freestyle (terrible pic, I know)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20306_7030.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	12796  
Old 08-07-2002, 02:47 PM
rsallen13

How are they in the sound department. Does in raise or lower the db compared to a stock muffler?
Old 08-07-2002, 04:36 PM
tmproff

It definatly raises the sound level. The muffler that originaly came with the plane was very quiet, so to switch to this monster, yes it's quite lout. Where I fly it isn't much of a problem.
Old 08-08-2002, 02:07 PM
rsallen13

Thanks for the reply. I'll stick to the stock muffler.

One day we will have performance mufflers that will actually quite the motor.
Old 08-08-2002, 02:27 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default We got 'em!

Originally posted by rsallen13
Thanks for the reply. I'll stick to the stock muffler.

One day we will have performance mufflers that will actually quite the motor.
Muffled tuned pipes! There will be more "noise" anytime you start turning 2K more RPM with any muffler...

I don't find my UT muffler to be as loud as an un-muffled pipe, but I will say the engine makes more sound than it did with the stock muffler.
Old 08-08-2002, 02:30 PM
tmproff

Also, what a lot of people dont realize is that the prop itself makes quite a bit of noise......just look at a high performance electric motor equipped plane.

Another thought, I think in the future, with better battery technology, we are going to start seeing very powerful electric motors replacing gas/nitro engines. Maybe not the most realistic, but for funfly's it may well be preferred.
Old 08-09-2002, 08:20 PM
Sky Viper

Originally posted by tmproff
It is not tunable, but you can purchase different sizes based on the size of your engine. Since the Irvine has the same displacement/size of the OS .46 (and you can swap out the mufflers) I purchased the one that fits in that range.
Funny, but my OS .46 muffler opening is shapped different than my Irvine .46
But then you are talking about the .53

I have "heat problems" with my Irvine at higher revs.
I think smoke from the outside of an engine is a bad indication. Generaly speaking there isn't much material on the outside that would smoke. If the powder coat is smoking, or if there is smoke from the bare aluminum head then your not in a good situation.

As for rich/lean settings, I learned a trick about a year ago. This works REAL well on my Irvine.
On the ground; go to 100% throttle for about 30-45 seconds and let the heat come up.
Give the fuel line a quick pinch and let go...I do mean quick.
If the RPM jumps up, then you can lean it out more. When you get to the point that it doesn't jump, or actually tries to die (mine usually dies instantly), then you are too lean.
When I reach the point where 1 click makes the difference, then I go 1 or 2 clicks toward rich and leave it.
I haven't had one problem since I started using this procedure.
With the Irvine, it is important that you let the heat build up. I've found that it leans out as the carb gets hot.

BTW, I recently took all the powder coat off my engine. It runs even cooler now.
Old 08-09-2002, 08:26 PM
Sky Viper

Originally posted by PaulSwany
Is it really worth the $60!!!???

I used a header and mousse can muffler... I got 13,800 rpm with the same 12.25 x 3.75 prop. But more power was not what I was looking for... I wanted throttle transition, and that's what I got... I left the pipe really long... and used a 5 oz. white rain mousse can from my pipe... Really like it... I'm making a setup now for my Pizazz. I need to modify the pipe a little to clear the wing.. but I'm hoping for simular performance.
On an Irvine?
Where did you find the header?
Old 08-10-2002, 04:28 AM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

It's just a Mac's Header... The same one that works on an OS .46. I just put one on my Pizazz...