Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

What Kind Of Glow Plug Do I Use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 07:48 PM
tinsink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Kind Of Glow Plug Do I Use?

I have a Magnum .25 that I use in a sport plane. The engine runs
great and has about 80 flights on it. I have been using house brand plugs from an on-line hobby shop. They are inexpensive but I have to put in a new one about 15 flights because they
fail. I always make sure the current draw is proper when I start
the engine. Is this a design problem? Is it normal? People are telling me to use O.S., K & B, or Enya which will last a long time.
Does anyone concur? Hey, I'd gladly pay double for a plug if it lasts a long time (over 30 flights).

Rich
Old 08-08-2002, 08:04 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have O.S. plugs that have hundreds of flights on them. I cannot remember the last time I changed a plug at the field...

Get one of the recommened plugs and try it for yourself. You should have an answer pretty quickly...
Old 08-09-2002, 04:25 AM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Default Magnum 25

The OS #A3 or #8, K&B1L or an Enya #3 will all work just fine in this engine, as well as a whole lot of other brand name plugs.

See what your LHS has in stock (you do have a LHS where you are?) and buy one of the above, or another name brand "warm/hot" heat range plug suitable for R/C sport engines.

Best of luck with your flying. You will enjoy real savings and peace of mind with a quality plug that lasts in your engine.
Old 08-09-2002, 04:39 AM
BPKlein
My Feedback: (1)

You might want to try a smaller prop. Over propping a small glow engine will eat glow plugs for lunch.
Old 08-09-2002, 06:54 PM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hallo!

Most of the time when glowplugs break it is because the engine is run too lean! That is .....to much heat is generated which breaks the glowplug spiral.
It could also be small particles of aluminum from the engine piston and backplate that reacts with the glowplug spiral!
(The spiral element in the glowplug reacts on aluminum).
Third: Do not run a too big prop at to lean setting! a .25 engine could use anything from a 7x6 to a 11x4, but remenber to set the needle rich enough!
as for fuel: 5% nitro is enough in most engines...15% is max more and you have to change the headcompression by putting in a 0,1mm headshim.
Old 08-10-2002, 01:47 AM
tinsink

Thanks for the information fellas. Just to let you know
I have been running the recommended 9X6 prop and 10% nitro.
The engine doesn't seem to be running lean. Maybe it is that aluminum interaction. After all this is a relatively new engine.
I'll try one of the recommended plugs to see how they work.

Rich
Old 08-10-2002, 03:27 PM
breeza

Just a thought. If you our a using a power panel, some of them will have a voltage surge when you first hook up your glow plug, not all the time but once awhile. And when it does, it will burn out the glow plug. If you our using a power panel you might want to use a hand held glow igniter instead. This will not have a voltage surge and burn out the glow plug prematurely.

biker
Old 08-10-2002, 03:41 PM
ShempHoward
My Feedback: (3)

A 9X6 is borderline over propping for that engine. If possible the use of a 9X4 or 9X5
might assist your efforts. A Fox Long Idle Bar plug should work well and keep the cost down. These are usually available at most Local Shops. I like the above idea of using something like a McDaniel Ni Starter which would eliminate the possibility of overloading your plugs with voltage which could be happening with a power panel system.