Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

BESIDES OS, what engines out there perform?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

BESIDES OS, what engines out there perform?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 05:11 PM
RVman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BESIDES OS, what engines out there perform?

http://www.bissonmufflers.com/en/muf...ting_id=114086
I've never seen a TT46 run but if its like an OS 46 the Webra will blow both of them away as well as a faster transition...

Tom
Old 06-22-2005, 07:05 PM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello; My Webra 40 silverline engine was a baffled piston type, not schneurle ported. It had a huge carb with long needles hanging off it. They were the cheapest engine available to me at the time (92) quite a few other fleeows at our field bought them too. One guy, Martin Tan perservered for ten years with his. He hated it all that time too, and finally bought a FP OS40. Now I understand that Webra has made other engines in this size that were quite good. I have never seen one, but there some be some reason, some of you guys support it so strongly. It's funny how that first exposure to Webra has stuck with me all these years.

I went four stroke shortly after the FP40 and haven't looked back, so I don't have any current two stroke experience, except diesel.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:07 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

TOWER TOWER TOWER TOWER TOWER TOWER TOWER TOWER TOWER
Old 06-22-2005, 07:43 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Never had any probs with the muffler for my G51 ringed but it is a big ugly mother. This time around I plan to either use a MACS one piece muffler (got one on my Super Sportster 20 w/.25FP and love it!) or go for broke and put on a tuned pipe. My other Kaos flew pretty fast with the stock BMF pipe so should be insane with a tuned pipe. Got more than a bit of building to go yet so not at that stage of decision.
Anyway, I love the ST .51 engines. I have one on my Kadet Senior ARF, and a couple NIB in addition to the one going on its second Kaos. Also have an ST G61 ringed for my Venture when I am ready to build that.

Have a few small MVVS engines I recently acquired for smaller kit builds. Only ran one on the break in stand so far but that dude positively SCREAMS.
Have no experience with them in flight yet tho.
Most every thing else I have is OS with a couple different GMS engines.
I like those too.

Old 09-01-2005, 09:06 AM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

I would take a Super Tigre .51 all day long over any other consideration due to price, reliability, and performance. A .51 is going to outperform any .46 suggested. Webra Silverline .40s have always been great engines for me. I've listed two right now for the guys who realize the power from a FP or LA .40 is really just a touch more than a .25 FX. Webra has proven German made engines are extremely well engineered and long lasting for the power output. I've had easy idle and transition qualities on all Webra engines. FP and LA are the slowest engines I've ever encountered, next to a Fox. The Magnum .52 doesn't idle as well or transition as well as Super Tigres but it's certainly a powerhouse on my Ultra Sport. The casting and manufacturing process has improved in recent years with better porting and and other engineering testing. But the older engines noted are legendary survivors in this hobby. The mufflers are less restrictive and the carbs are the best made for Super Tigre, if you flew one you'd agree, and again, only the incompetent would bash a large production engine for their lack of troubleshooting and tuning skills on some of the engines mentioned in this post! The needle valve is precise, on the carb, where it belongs on Super Tigres. A Thunder Tigre is like Magnum and ASP, knock offs of OS, so I don't see any advantage or disadvantage there if you want to try something new, it's not new. The threads are extremely fine for fine tuning. One or two clicks in an OS engine, you're not able to achieve what you can with a Super Tigre. Rebuilders who restore engines all day long as a business in this hobby told me they would put a Super Tigre carb on any engine to make sure it can run! I'm certainly in their corner as they pass hundreds of engines a month across their break in bench. The needle valve locks too, no other engine has that feature, so like Ronco, set it and forget it.

The tricks we used in the 80's when SuperTigre won more events than any other engine, was to drill one size over for the fuel inlet. The carb has the air volume to allow for more fuel. Truly the most impressive record I believe over engines twice it's price, you can't win without power. I have over a hundreds engines in my garage and fly daily here in Florida trying new planes and engines in between sales here on RCU as I eliminate what I have in excess. I like dozens of brands, but the OS line is extremely overrated. The only reason new hobbyists love them is because they don't know what a Super Tigre does, or a Webra. They compare it to maybe a Tower engine, or a LA that came with their Avistars. Sure, a FX is fine, statistically it has 5% more power than a .45 ABC Super Tigre. But experience shows the Super Tigres idle better, have more torque, and are more affordable, answering your question completely. Personally I'd suggest you find a vintage .51 made in Italy with the smaller muffler of it's era rather than waste $35 on an aftermarket muffler that will just slow it down. Ever try a pipe for your engines yet? Fun to tune those and pick up more RPM.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:53 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have nothing but praise for a TT Pro-46 I've used well and often since 2002. I even sent it back once with a scoured cylinder & sleeve for replacement and they picked up the tab even though I admitted guilt (sucked dirt).

I've also been flying an SK-50 from Kangke. It's noticably cruder than the OS - coarser adjustments so it's harder to tune, but once tuned it runs like a top. I had one design weakness appear. The throttle arm is a "Q" shaped seperate metal stamping that is swaged onto the end of the carb rotor with four 1/16" "dimples". Perhaps it should have been spot welded. Mine came loose in flight (a 10 oz tank lasts a long time at 2/3 throttle when you're sticking close & high waiting for the deadstick so you can land). I "corrected" it with a ring of J-B Weld and wrote Kangke. No repair/replacement needed, but thought they should know. I also adjusted my throttle control rod linkage so there is no side force against the throttle arm . . . just in case.

Still, for $49.77 for a .50 engine you can't beat it with a stick. I'm very pleased with the power and performance. Just the ticket for a knockabout ARF sporter (so I can put my $ in the scale kit models).
Old 09-01-2005, 06:57 PM
turbo.gst
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had good luck with Webra silverlines, but they are not even close to the power of schnurle's .40's -- much less .45 to .50's They do have exceptional throttling and are very liteweight. Try the Speed series or the GT for some real competitive power. They are not cheap.

As for bang for the buck, the Super Tigres are hard to beat( at least the Italian made ones)-- Unsure of the Chinese ones.. That engine that always gets respect is the TT.46-- for the dollar it is another good choice.

The Irvine engines are another powerhouse, but once again they are connected to the bigger price tag. Don't rule out MVVS either. I think this starts to ask the end user his requirements. If you want to use low nitro fuels( under 10%), think European designs. The Asian motors tend to favor 10 to 15% nitro for the best power. I don't know how the Chinese Tigres fit into the nitro equation, but the ST's of old did well on low nitro fuels.

I like the lower nitro fuels, which points me to the European motors. I feel like they throttle a little better, but that doesn't seem to be that important to some of my buddies. If you can, try some of both and pick the one that suits you the best, at least you'll have alot of fun deciding for yourself.

turbo
Old 09-01-2005, 07:09 PM
rambler53

ORIGINAL: turbo.gst

I have had good luck with Webra silverlines, but they are not even close to the power of schnurle's .40's -- much less .45 to .50's They do have exceptional throttling and are very liteweight. Try the Speed series or the GT for some real competitive power. They are not cheap.

As for bang for the buck, the Super Tigres are hard to beat( at least the Italian made ones)-- Unsure of the Chinese ones.. That engine that always gets respect is the TT.46-- for the dollar it is another good choice.

The Irvine engines are another powerhouse, but once again they are connected to the bigger price tag. Don't rule out MVVS either. I think this starts to ask the end user his requirements. If you want to use low nitro fuels( under 10%), think European designs. The Asian motors tend to favor 10 to 15% nitro for the best power. I don't know how the Chinese Tigres fit into the nitro equation, but the ST's of old did well on low nitro fuels.

I like the lower nitro fuels, which points me to the European motors. I feel like they throttle a little better, but that doesn't seem to be that important to some of my buddies. If you can, try some of both and pick the one that suits you the best, at least you'll have alot of fun deciding for yourself.

turbo
Well said. I see no change since the manufacture changed from Italy to China, except the mufflers and square head, which changed just prior anyway.

Old 09-01-2005, 10:08 PM
mcarleno

I agree. There are a lot of good engines out there. But beware, there is a lot of bad ones too! They will get you with the 2-Ball Bearing and Schnuerle Ported for just $$$$ I think most of us know what engines these are. Just fill in the blanks because no one has mentioned one here.

I think you don't just buy an engine because you always buy this brand. I guess thats like always voting the ticket in the booth. I have had very good luck with SuperTigre, Thunder Tiger, Tower and even a 23 year old K&B 40 thats ugly and brown but still spins a 10x6 pretty darn good.

I like to pick my engines based on feedback and what I am going to us it for. Power, Weight and Size along with performance is a good measurement.

Example:
SuperTigre G-51
1.48Bhp, 15,500rpm, 18.4oz, $79.99
SuperTigre G-75
2.18Bhp, 15,500rpm, 27.0oz, $109.99
SuperTigre G-90
2.50Bhp, 14,800rpm, 27.0oz, $119.99

---------

Tower Hobbies 46
1.76Bhp, 16,000rpm, 16.9oz, $79.99
Tower Hobbies 75
2.20Bhp, 15,600rpm, 23.0oz, $94.99

All great engines; good price, but a big difference in weight to power. The G-75 is in the same housing as the G-90 and for a 75 its a little heavy. The Tower 75 is a bored out .61 and if you were looking for a 75 it saves a few bucks, gives a little more horse power, and saves you a 1/4lb. On a 60 size aircraft that 1/4lb on the nose may save another couple of oz. in the tail.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:38 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
There are many good engines to choose from. One is the MVVS .45 and .49. These engines are far more quiet than any other .40-.50 engine on the market.
Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72143.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	318783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72583.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	318784  
Old 09-04-2005, 07:11 PM
jspencer
My Feedback: (6)

I'll post another vote for the SK-50 from Kangke. I have mine on a Mojo and have had no problems flying slow and low. It is a bit of a pain to get it tuned right. I found that you have to open the low speed needle a lot and then make small adjustments closing it until you hit that sweet spot.

Edit: When finding the sweet spot on the low end, hold the plane vertical and transition from idle to full. When you get the smooth transition that you are looking for you've found that sweet spot.

I messed with it for quite a while one day with another club member and he finally suggested opening it up a lot. Just so happened that we hit that sweet spot on the first try. Been flying great ever since then. I have a Burrito that needs to be built and I can gaurantee that it will have an SK-50 on it. It even has the same mounting pattern as the OS 46FX (bearings went bad and I needed a quick replacement, just happened to have the SK on hand). For $50 no complaints here.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:05 PM
budgetdude
My Feedback: (6)

Check out the horizon EVO line. I have one that runs well, and havent seen a bad one yet.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:05 PM
rambler53

ORIGINAL: jaka

Hi!
There are many good engines to choose from. One is the MVVS .45 and .49. These engines are far more quiet than any other .40-.50 engine on the market.
Regards!
Jan K
Sweden

How much for these engines? Any specs on the HP and RPM range?
Old 09-05-2005, 03:51 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

morris hobbies is the MVVS distributer.

[link=http://morrishobbies.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_38&products_id=100&osCsid=1c49438b763d1bf8a9a2b9a4e9bb8ba4]click me[/link]
Old 12-31-2007, 01:33 AM
rafaxmen

In my country, and I suppose that in other countries as well, there is a myth about the Super Tigre engines which says that are worse than O. S. and this is totally false. In fact, the power that announces the Super Tigre engine in the box (manual) are less than it really punch out (the power are fantastic). Contrary to O. S. which announces so much more power than it actually produces (this is true). O. S. are cheaper than Super Tigre but there are a paradigm about the performance of this engines, maybe for the "easy carburetor adjust" or whatever. Really i recommend to all of you out there that don't waste your money in an engine that only has a reputation and don’t have the quality that it presumes. Every week that I go to fly, only charge my Avistar with fuel, put the hot shot and presto! while the other people waste a lot of time in the engine adjust process, or in the start process, and have the necessity of readjust and readjust the carburetor set over and over again until finally O. S decide to run. The difference is that i have a Super Tigre and the other, of course O. S. the worse brand. Super Tigre always starts at the first time while the O. S. engines starts after a couple or more minutes. But all you will continue buying O. S., so it seem ok to me, whatever.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:35 AM
rafaxmen

In my country, and I suppose that in other countries as well, there is a myth about the Super Tigre engines which says that are worse than O. S. and this is totally false. In fact, the power that announces the Super Tigre engine in the box (manual) are less than it really punch out (the power are fantastic). Contrary to O. S. which announces so much more power than it actually produces (this is true). O. S. are cheaper than Super Tigre but there are a paradigm about the performance of this engines, maybe for the "easy carburetor adjust" or whatever. Really i recommend to all of you out there that don't waste your money in an engine that only has a reputation and don’t have the quality that it presumes. Every week that I go to fly, only charge my Avistar with fuel, put the hot shot and presto! while the other people waste a lot of time in the engine adjust process, or in the start process, and have the necessity of readjust and readjust the carburetor set over and over again until finally O. S decide to run. The difference is that i have a Super Tigre and the other, of course O. S. the worse brand. Super Tigre always starts at the first time while the O. S. engines starts after a couple or more minutes. But all you will continue buying O. S., so it seem ok to me, whatever.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:46 PM
tstotts

The engine that is best for anyone really depends on how your going to use it. Personally for sport flying I feel I get the most bang for my buck with Magnums. As someone mentioned above the 52 2cycle is amazing on top end but I sure get annoyed with the idling. It either idles to fast for a decent low speed landing or quits when you idle down so I have a hard time recommending that engine. Everyone I have encountered using this engine complains that they just don't idle and need a long break-in.
The Magnum 46 performs surprisingly well for the money and idles great. A nice reliable little engine for most 40 sized planes. I use mostly the 91 and 120 size 4 cycle Magnums and am very happy with them. They don't out perform my saitos but then they don't cost anywhere near as much but they give me all the power I actually need at an affordable price.
Ihave tried a few super tigres and not been to impressed.
Bottom line for normal local non competion flying I would simply choose the engine that is readily available at your local hobby shop with available parts and a dealer that will stand behind it that sells for a reasonable price. Online bargains are great but nothing beats a helpful local hobby shop dealer.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:28 PM
quepasa

I guess it depends on who ya ask.
IF I was looking for an engine for something that one of the ones I already own would not do, I'd buy a new Fox in a heartbeat! Take a look at the Fox .46 ABC BB @ 13oz. 14,500 rpm with a 10-6 prop. Price dirrect from Fox is $112.00 and you can call them on the telephone, and order parts for a Fox thats 25 years old! Man you can even talk to the guy that builds yer motor! How great is that? They will even give ya 1/2 off on a NEW engine if ya send them some old clapped-out Supertiger or something! Heres the # 1-479-646-1656.

BTW, if ya can't get a Fox or OS to start & run properly, quit listening to stupid people that can't do it and "RTFM"! [X(]
Old 12-31-2007, 10:11 PM
pete913

Quepasa, gotta agree with that. I started out with a Fox .15BB in a butterfly in the early '80s, progressed to a .40BB and a .61. Back then all the guys at my field called 'em junk. They don't call 'em that anymore. I still have all of them and haven't touched a needle valve on any of em in years. I quit listening to all the 'experts' at the field who couldn't make anything run no matter what it was. I'd really like to see some of these jokers tune a Rochester quadrajet sometime,lol. They'd be walkin home.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:23 AM
quepasa

I guess Pete that I will never understand guys that cuss an engine/brand that they know nothing about! I can't say a thing good or bad about a SuperTiger cause I've never had one. Lotsa guys love em so they must be pretty good. I had a couple T/Ts and they were fine little clones of an OS. The 2 Enyas I had would make good fishin weights, and so would the HBs I had. I find it very hard to believe that you can buy a new engine for 1/2 the price of an OS,Fox,Webra, etc. and actually believe that it is of the same quality. (The fact that my ENYAS didn't perform was probably MY fault cause I was listening to guys that couldn't make it run right either, and not reading the manual.)
When a guy, or a bunch can't get a good name-brand engine to perform properly, its usually because they didn't take the time to read the booklet that came with it.
Example;
I like the OS LA series engines and have 10 of them. I have no trouble with any of them, but to listen to guys on thease forums, you'd think they are junk. This ain't so! ALOT, NOT ALL that say this, never owned or ran an LA! They just "parrot" what others have said, because they just bought the wrong tool for the job and blame the tool.
There are PLENTY of engines that perform well! Ya just need to buy the right tool for the job. (quality,price,application,etc)
I'm not trying to sell anyone on anything and could care less what they choose to run! IF someone says that something is bad or weak, or slow, his requirements may just be differant than mine. I'd just like it alot if guys that had a comment to make actually owned and used one, and could compare it to something else they own and use. That ain't gonna happen any time soon tho!

Far as that quadrajet goes,,,yer on yer own.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:47 PM
rafaxmen

I agree with quepasa...

In this hobbie only we need to be very objective, or for the less ask to someone very experimented and impartial in his coments, and read with some detail the instruction manual, that frequently comes with the new engine...

Jiijijijijii [8D]
Old 01-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have tried most of the engines mentioned and the TT .46 pro is A good one. I tried out the SK engines this year and I love them. New out of the box I broke it in and so far I have never had A dead stick at all. {{ Try saying that about an MDS!!} KANGKE came up with A winner with this engine. They are not high RPM engines though so if you are into speed don't bother even looking but they are really A power house for A stunt plane or Bipe.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:34 PM
FrancisPerson

ENYA engines can be ordered direct from ENYA and are beautiful. My CX .45 is not quite as strong as a OS AX .46 but it is close and dependable.

Francis
Old 01-01-2008, 07:22 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: hitcttd

I need an engine for my RV/4. Specs read all i need is a 46, i want a 52 in there... But OS's 46's and 52's are pricey. Do any of you have any alternate recommendations? I've read up on TT and ST motors, but in general they seem kinda heavy... But what do i know? Any help is greatly appriciated....

Oh one more thing, what does "ringed" mean when speaking about engines?

Thanks y'all

-----------

Go to www.peakmodel.com. Search for a Sanye .52 two-stroke engine. This is a clone of OS engines that does a great job, last long enough, is easy to start, is close to the same power output as the OS it has been copied from and is priced extremely well. Yes, I do have one and I love it. I've been flying models of one sort or another for over 50 years, so I've been around the block a time or two.

Happy New Year

Ed Cregger
Old 01-01-2008, 11:04 PM
Ralph78

I must agree about the Fox engines, once you learn the carb. adjustment, which can be a bit different from most other engines, they run fine. If you still have carb. adjustment problems, put a "Perry" carb. on it and it is bullet proof. What I like about the bad rap Fox's get, is they are available at very low prices on ebay or RCU & other sale sites. I have picked up a great variety of Fox engines and are happy with them. Just remember to use a lot of Castor in some of the older Fox's of certain sizes.

ORIGINAL: pete913

Quepasa, gotta agree with that. I started out with a Fox .15BB in a butterfly in the early '80s, progressed to a .40BB and a .61. Back then all the guys at my field called 'em junk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.