Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 02:23 PM
FNQFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old Fart in Duration we do not worry about fuel consumption just getting max height in time allowed (around 30 seconds). Engines run in 13 to 16,000rpm range for fourstrokes. In Texaco we get a fuel allocation according to weight of the ready to fly aircraft (complex formula based on fuel used, and engines type) so getting the best run for least fuel used is the object of the exercise and of course getting the best height possible (usually just about oos). If you use tank pressure you force more fuel into engine thus using more than you need to achieve the desired aim. Engines in this range run in the 4500 to 5500 rpm range. Texaco tuning usually has the engine running mostly on the low speed needle. Not at all satisfactory for a sports model but then is "flat out duration" at all suitable at the other end either.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:05 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave, FormerDairyFarmer
It is hard to tell on those twins, so far it's not happened but I know it could. Also, i'ts impossible to see the air bleed setting on the right cylinder.
Yes it's the same with my 220 and 182 i think the 150 single too and all the radials obviously.How do you go setting the airbleed screw you can't see if you hav'nt had the engine from new? would you zero it and go off the manual.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:22 AM
Rudolph Hart

Trev i'd like to hear a saito fourstroke pulling those revs if they do,it would be interesting,what's the wear and life expectancy like for parts..or the whole engine post a vid.I was asking those questions to see if anyone here is interested in a different way to use saitos re huge props and low rpm i do that with some engines by running bigger than recommended props and settling for a rich 8000 tops on the ground with a slippery aeroplane,another way to run them too and thanks for the info.

ps i was reading the local west aussie paper today.They had the latest news from the state pushbike lobby club to the effect that the gummint is about to legislate that you give any pushbike rider a mandatory one meter(about three feet) clearance no matter what their road position.Here's lot's of us thinking they want to get fit not hospitalized.

Last edited by Rudolph Hart; 04-06-2016 at 04:24 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:32 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Actually, some are flat bottomed and they are easy to grind back down. I put mine in a drill and turn it carefully over 600 grit paper. Sometimes more coarse. I recently took out the followers of a well used .72. They looked brand new and I even took pics of them. Good old castor doing its job there. 8^)

Pete- do you mean Harley's when you say 'push bikes'? Not sure of your slang there, but clogging the roads makes it sound that way. The only 'rally' sort of road clogger that I liked was in Belgium when a hundred or so Porsches came through the little village. There were some very nice vintage models all the way up to the adrenaline burners. Funny thing, they all had good looking babes in the right seats. There used to be a club on the California coast before radar detectors became so good, and these guys basically used spotters and walkie talkies. They would called a certain twisty, fun stretch clear and a big group of Porsches would get the race started. Always sounded like a fun group. They have the same sort of thing around here on the back roads, but it's drag racing. It's a very hush-hush thing.

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Turkey if you put the glow plug back in you won't be able to see that,just kidding.Check that the valves move freely and adjust the lash,i use a cigarette paper.Open the throttle and blow thru the fuel line then take the backplate off and look for rust on the rear bearing and add some atf.Turn the prop over a few times and feel the bearings you can also grab the prop at either tip and see if there is any play in the bearings,a tiny bit is ok.If it's all good put some fuel in it and kick er in the guts,they sound real nice.

Sr is the weather getting any friendlier up your way? down here it's the end of summer nearly,so as it cools down they hold an international pushbike race here.Closed off big sections of our major arterial roads for the event(happy motorists,not)and a few of us thought we'd go for a motorcycle ride in the hills to get away from it.There was twenty miles worth of them up there too,i never seen so many pushbikes three and four abreast on narrow windy roads with endless double white lines in my life.There where quite a few sheilas on the outside near the centreline and it was tempting to give them a pinch on the arse as you tried to squeze past but in our modern world that might get you a "go directly to jail/do not pass go" type of penalty.None of them have rear vision mirrors and most had some music plugs and wires attached...can't see,can't hear you coming,pretty low survival instincts i reckon but they get really offended when one of their mates gets bowled over.They should be in the bambi with popcorn class
Old 04-06-2016, 01:39 PM
FNQFLYER

Old Fart, as a first point of call visit your local O/T chapter (SAM 270 from memory) you will see things done with engines there you wouldn't believe. Now regarding RPM's you seem to doubt. In Texaco we regularly run 15x8 and 16x8 APC props at around 5,000 rpm to drag a 4 to 5 pound model to height. The tuning of an engine to give this type of performance is a mixture of what could be considered excessive use of the LSN and minimal HSN to achieve the desired result. As there is minimal throttle movement there is no troubles with transitions etc. With regards to the 13, 14, and sometimes 15,000 rpm for Duration, careful assembly of the engine (blue printing it used to be called) and then lots of nitro. I have been known to used 45 to 50% in some cases and you mate this with carefully (read factory) balanced carbon fibre props (usually 12x6 or 13 x6) and tuning for the conditions on the day you can get these sorts of figures. F1 has nothing on a serious duration flyer.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:55 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Whats the FA equivalent to the FG-57 twin? I think the FG-57 would be a good fit for the new SIG Rascal 168.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:18 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Your talking 3.00 cubic inches for the FA 300 and 3.477 cubic inches for the FG 57.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:01 AM
Rudolph Hart

That's interesting about the rocker faces and sorry for the confusion about local slang.I once read bill bryson's book called notes from a big country(america).He reckons you can travel from north to south and the 'english' changes so much you caint unnerstan nuthin so i'll add to that.Pushbike riders sometimes get passed by harleys while riding up steep mountain roads and harleys get passed by pushbike riders on the way down..so it all equals out really

Aussie words for americans
Sheilas=wimmin
handbrake=she who must be obeyed
ex handbrake=freedom
ps there must be a big culture difference between our countries,best lookin dolly birds over here are driving kombi vans

Trev i'd like to see that,ran 50% in a 62 ages ago,made it growl thought the 12x6apc prop was going to suck the carpet up,shred it,and fire the pieces out the open back window in the shed.

Acdc mines in an edge540 v3 they sound mint with short shotgun pipes.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:01 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

BLW, a pushbike is a bicycle.

CR
Old 04-07-2016, 09:10 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by Dave, FormerDairyFarmer
Your talking 3.00 cubic inches for the FA 300 and 3.477 cubic inches for the FG 57.
Oh, so its bigger than the 300. Then I know its the right engine for this bird. Guess I will need to stash some cash away.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:45 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Fart
.I once read bill bryson's book called notes from a big country(america).He reckons you can travel from north to south and the 'english' changes so much you caint unnerstan nuthin
You got that right! I'm an Okie, born and lived most of my life in Oklahoma, my wife is from New York City. When the kids were in grammar school they would throw the teachers for a loop with the Yiddish they picked up from their mother! One of my daughters in-law is from near Boston Massachusetts so it took her a bit to pick up the local dialectic. She is better at pronouncing her "Rs" now too.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:04 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

This is getting more humorous by the minute. When I said the right seats had babes I meant they were in the passenger seats! I forgot about the wrong side of the road thing.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:15 PM
Rudolph Hart

No,we drive on the right side which is the left

I think that bill bryson book was called lost continents,he's lamenting how much america changed while he was away.It's very funny.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:08 PM
FNQFLYER

Old Fart consider the following. A truly competitive duration model (say 3 to 3.5 pounds) held at 45 degrees with the wheels and tail launched at full song (max engine rpm) should not have any part of the model touch the ground during the launch. Like I said check out your local o/t chapter talk to Paul or Ian and get them to show you the ropes. I believe my time spent with o/t models especially tuning of both airframes and engines has given me a greater appreciation of aeromodelling than I would have got elsewhere.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:02 PM
acdii

OK old saito guys, need some help on installing this old 45.

How do I pressurize the tank, or do I? What line setup do I need.

Not familiar with the LSN on this one, so how does it work? Anything else I should do thats different from the newer ones? Inside its clean and smooth, just need to adjust the intake a bit
Old 04-09-2016, 02:15 AM
Hobbsy

Works fine without muffler pressure, the LS needle is a typical tapered, (though rather blunt) needle that moves in and out of the end of the spraybar. Because of the bluntness the sweet spot is rather narrow but easy enough to find. Great engine.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:22 AM
Hobbsy

Pete, here's one of the twins where the right cylinder's ab is hard to see. Using a bent paper clip will get it mighty close to great starting place. This is a 1.00T.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0917.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	2156483   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0918.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	2156484  
Old 04-09-2016, 03:48 AM
Rudolph Hart

Nice looking intake tubes dave.Acdc dave is the go to guy for the old carby airbleed screw set up i only have the 30 and 182 twin that use it and so i'm not that keen on them i find saito's normal modern day lsn easier to use,not better,just easier.If you want to run tank pressure put a standard saito muffler on it,you won't need it if you fly it scale,just aerobatics make them cough a bit no matter how rich you are.You'll find plenty of blunt needles on the os fourstroke copies i've seen sharper tent pegs.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:10 PM
shanewarild

hello all, my first post!
Back in another life I spent all my spare time building rubber band, stick and tissue planes. I dreamt of one day flying a scale warbird like a p51 or thunderbolt with a big 4stroke, but being a teenager living off minimum wage (pocket money) and later a student, without any money after beer had been bought, I Set aside the hobby...

fast forward 20 years and I've been thinking of getting started again. The family and I were on holiday last week camping at a lake, it's Autumn here and the lake is super low after a couple years of drought.
The pic I've attached is of a saito 150 that I retrieved (pretty sure it's a 150 I compared measurements to the saito documents) it's been under the water for I don't know how long, the carb and muffler is toast and all the external bolts are rusted up earl good.

Anyway, I'm going to try get her running, I've taken it apart and am currently boiling everything in glycol so I can have a better look at things. Surprising
y it's pretty good inside.

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	2156560  
Old 04-09-2016, 03:45 PM
Rudolph Hart

Welcome shane looks like a golden knight too! post some more pics when you can.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:12 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We're sure going to want to see a picture of it when it's cleaned up to see what you're working with. We hope that it comes out OK for you.

Bob
Old 04-09-2016, 06:35 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by shanewarild
hello all, my first post!
Back in another life I spent all my spare time building rubber band, stick and tissue planes. I dreamt of one day flying a scale warbird like a p51 or thunderbolt with a big 4stroke, but being a teenager living off minimum wage (pocket money) and later a student, without any money after beer had been bought, I Set aside the hobby...

fast forward 20 years and I've been thinking of getting started again. The family and I were on holiday last week camping at a lake, it's Autumn here and the lake is super low after a couple years of drought.
The pic I've attached is of a saito 150 that I retrieved (pretty sure it's a 150 I compared measurements to the saito documents) it's been under the water for I don't know how long, the carb and muffler is toast and all the external bolts are rusted up earl good.

Anyway, I'm going to try get her running, I've taken it apart and am currently boiling everything in glycol so I can have a better look at things. Surprising
y it's pretty good inside.
Hi there dont let your heart rule your head . If its not economically viable to rebuild the engine than dont . Maybe start with a 82 saito if u want a 4 stroke . That way every thing is cheaper from engine to plane and servos etc . Cheers
Old 04-09-2016, 07:25 PM
shanewarild

Originally Posted by the pope
Hi there dont let your heart rule your head . If its not economically viable to rebuild the engine than dont . Maybe start with a 82 saito if u want a 4 stroke . That way every thing is cheaper from engine to plane and servos etc . Cheers
Papal advice there. I don't intend to spend heaps on the thing and certainly I'm not in a rush. I see this as a long term project. Quite happy to source seconda hand Pards like the carb and exhaust.
also the minister for war and finance is keeping a close one
Old 04-09-2016, 08:39 PM
shanewarild

Some progress pics, I've got it in the pickle at the moment.

Views:	106
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	2156571   Click image for larger version

Views:	91
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	2156574   Click image for larger version

Views:	88
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	2156575   Click image for larger version

Views:	102
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	2156576  
Old 04-09-2016, 11:40 PM
Rudolph Hart

Post a good one of the chrome barrel surface if you can,looks like the castor has done it's job,that engine would be gone now if the guy had been running synthetic and don't place to much faith in the papal advice...have you seen the state of the vaticans finances lately??

Do we have an oil expert here?? i'm talking after run.Got told today that arf may not be the best because of additives anybody know? i've always used it.

ps went to an rc airshow today and rode the duke there and back was a top day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.