Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

I cannot remember anyone ever talking about the 200Ti
Old 09-04-2008, 02:26 PM
sodbuster 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: beaver180

Engine cleaning update.... Using a Dishwasher tablet ( with "Powerball" ) in 2 pints of near boiling water cleans the gunk and gum off very well. A wee tip though, Only submerse and let the parts soak for only a quick minute or two otherwise the Alloy casing can go a duller colour. I found dunking for a minute or so and then using wife's toothbrush scrub the yuck off. Oh and I used wife's good pot for the washing too
Then I thoroughly rinsed the parts in hot water and dried off with a dryer.

Cheers Guys, Paul

Speaking of engine degunking methods.
I recently heard you can clean an engine well in hot anti-freeze.
Has anyone tried this? I realize you have to take some precautions, like DON'T do it in the house for one ( fumes) DON'T do it where animals might end up drinking the stuff.
But has anyone tried this succesfully? As with the detergent mentioned above, does it have any adverse effect on the metal? I know anti-freeze is caustic .......

Oh and Paul? Your wife wants to know why her teeth are now all black! LOL
Old 09-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Capt Lou

Yes, I have cleaned an engine with anti freeze. I got a Saito FA-65 that was on a plane that crashed in the woods and I could not find it. Ten months later someone found it and returned it to me. The parts with iron in them had some rust. I took the engine apart and put it in a crock pot with pure anti freeze and let it cook for 36 hours. It came out real clean and all the rust was gone. I have been told that this method of cleaning parts works well on almost all automotive parts that can be submersed in anti freeze.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:23 PM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beaver,

I slow cook in anti-freeze , if I have any really tough spot I have a spray can of graffiti remover. One shot , let it stand for about 10 seconds , and rinse well with water. My 72 looks like brand new.

Andy
Old 09-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Shubova
My Feedback: (9)

I have never used anti-freeze it but know a few people who have. They say if you get the solution to hot or leave it to long it discolors the material but diffently cleans it.
Remember to remove any rubber or gaskets.

Below is a copy of a previous post I wrote.
[:-]
Take a look at this http://www.bj-model-engines.com/Demo..._11-11-05.html
You may want to try it.
I recently sent for some of this but haven't used it yet. I've been told it works good.
Shubova
[8D]
Old 09-04-2008, 04:58 PM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually thats why you should use a crock pot. I have throw parts in for a day or two no troubles. Keep the parts submerged too.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: beaver180

Hey ya Guys...

I'm about ready to re assemble my 150 and am wondering if it matters where the gap in the piston ring goes???

and I heat the casing in the oven to what temperature fit the new bearings aye??

Engine cleaning update.... Using a Dishwasher tablet ( with "Powerball" ) in 2 pints of near boiling water cleans the gunk and gum off very well. A wee tip though, Only submerse and let the parts soak for only a quick minute or two otherwise the Alloy casing can go a duller colour. I found dunking for a minute or so and then using wife's toothbrush scrub the yuck off. Oh and I used wife's good pot for the washing too
Then I thoroughly rinsed the parts in hot water and dried off with a dryer.

Cheers Guys, Paul
That's the spirit paul.Any other brave souls out there use the handbrakes household tools for their hobby?? and could we start a thread on them?
Old 09-04-2008, 08:46 PM
beaver180
My Feedback: (10)

Yeah I tried that link Shubby... wants more than the product itself costs to send it to me, so I did the Dishwasher tablet way. Worked very very well and I didn't have to boil for a day or two.

Thanks w8ye for the ring info, Cheers
Old 09-04-2008, 10:07 PM
cervelott

Sign me up for the club! New to the hobby and having a ball. 2x FA-80. and soon to purchase an FA-100.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:49 AM
Rudolph Hart

Come on in mate and welcome.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:36 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

Hopefully one of you can help me. Somewhere in the forum I read a concise set of instructions on the proper procedure for setting up a Saito with the old air bleed (I think) carb that has a large brass disk on the side. Anyone know where I can find this? Thanks in advance, Paul
Old 09-05-2008, 07:21 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

It was in this thread some years ago SOMEWHERE. All that has to be done is find it. It may also be in the Saito notes Sticky at the top of the first page of the glow forum.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:26 PM
w8ye

Here it is . . . . .

Carb adjust – air bleed type

Your carb is an air bleed, but Saito doesn't use your granddaddy's OS type air bleed. It is fully adjustable; idle, mid range, and high speed.

Hobbsy pointed out the idle adjustment, the Phillips head screw beside the throttle lever. Set it as he said, with the screw midway across the hole to start.

The mid range adjustment is done by turning the bronze colored disc on the needle valve end, start with its index set to neutral. Note the black line on the disc and the cast mark on the carb body in the first picture.

The adjustment has to be done high speed, then mid range, then idle. Any other order you'll be chasing the adjustments forever.

HS is normal, go to full throttle and peak the engine, then richen it for 300-400 rpm drop. Go to half throttle and let the engine stabilize, then pinch the fuel hose. When it's right the rpm will rise a little, then fall. Immediate fall is too lean. Adjustment is by rotating the bronze disc. Turn the disc to raise its index mark above the mark on the body to go lean, or down to go rich.

When you have the high and mid range working fine trim the air bleed for best transition first, and best idle second.

Things to be wary of

Make sure your throttle linkage does not pull the throttle lever away from the carb, the inner end of the throttle barrel is the moving part of the regulator valve, if the barrel is pulled out the engine will go to full rich. On the lever end of the barrel is a wire spring that keeps the barrel pushed against the disc on the other end, be sure it is there and is holding the barrel. Second picture. Finally, the regulator valve depends on the oil in the fuel for sealing. Synthetic oil wont do it. Castor oil is 100% necessary. But again, a blend with three to four percent of the total fuel volume will work.
Kmot's 120

Old 09-05-2008, 08:12 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks so much w8ye!
Old 09-06-2008, 08:31 AM
record335

Hi all,

Looking for some advise from some of the Saito guru's out there. I have recently purchased a Saito 82a for my Piper Pawnee and am really struggling to work out how on earth I get an aluminium spinner to fit. The spinner backplate is fine but the nut will not fit onto the thread as its way to small. Is there something I am missing here or some sort of adapter I need to buy in order for it to fit. If anyone out there knows the type of nut I need and maybe the size in metric and imperial it would be of great help. Obviously, I am on the other side of the water so may have a job sourcing the part.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards

Mark
Old 09-06-2008, 08:55 AM
w8ye

Go to the Tru Turn web site. They sell different adapter nuts http://www.tru-turn.com/
Your thread size is 7mm X 1mm. Use Tru-Turn Adapter Kit TT-0718-A (7x1.0mm/8mm); this adapter does not have a jam nut. Another adapter TT-0717A has a jam nut and is the one recommended on the Tru-Turn web site

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHMF2&P=7 TT-0718-A
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNV03&P=7 TT-0717-A
Old 09-06-2008, 09:37 AM
rlmcnii
My Feedback: (3)

r335,

I have had very good success with my .82s, .91, and 3.00 twin using these adapters and spinners: http://dbproducts.com/

And have found that they work very well in conjunction with these prop-locks: http://members.aol.com/harryhig/EngineAccessories1.htm

The prop locks are thin and will leave enough thread on the propeller shaft to allow placement of the spinner adapter.

The large-area prop lock is used as a first nut and washer, the adapter is then used as a lock-nut and spinner mounting point. On one of the .82s the extension on the adapter needed to be shortened just a mm or two.

No doubt the Tru-Turns would be fine also, I just have no first-hand experience with them.

As w8ye said, the .82 is a 7x1mm thread.

Good luck
Old 09-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Smoggyboy

Just bought a 220 for my GS Spitfire. A bit concirned about propsize now. The ground clearance is far from adaquate on the Spitfire so I was wondering what have others ran on this engine, at the lower end of the scale. I was considering using an 18x10 but really not sure.

Dave
Old 09-06-2008, 11:58 PM
beaver180

Prop clearance a problem then go 3 blade.... general rule is to drop an inch off the dia and add inch to pitch. Look good on a Spitty too
Old 09-07-2008, 12:36 AM
Smoggyboy

I have been looking at that as a solution but props seem to be hard to find, plus 41/2'' 3 blade spinners are a small fortune. I fancy the more scale look but can't find what seems to be reasonable value, True turn want 130USD for a spinner unless of coarse you can direct me.

Regarding the size, I was thinking the 220 would swing a 20x8 2 blade, so a 18x8 3 blade would be ideal, but how would the engine cope with a 16x10 3 blade maybe.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:34 AM
beaver180

Hiya....

Just starting to put the 150 back together after replacing the bearings. I have the bearings and crank back in and refitted the timing gear cam thing. I hope I did it right?? had the big end pin bit on the crank pointed straight up ( TDC ) and dropped the timing gear bit into place with the timing mark straight down.

Have now replaced the head and made sure the tappet rods seated etc, but now I am having trouble putting the prop drive back on the crank [] Do I heat this in the oven too like I did the crank case when fitting the bearing????

Don't think I'm doing too bad for my first 4 stroke rebuild, any more tips of rebuilding guys??

Cheers, PAul
Old 09-07-2008, 06:05 AM
Rudolph Hart

Rebuilding?? move to the north island ya mug.Being a cabinet maker by trade and a trukkie too you've got it all stitched up..cook straights in the road tho

ps had to
Old 09-07-2008, 07:04 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Smogs, let check my prop inventory and I may have a 16x10 3b I could try on my 2.20. I doubt that it woukld be enough load.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:24 AM
Smoggyboy

Hobbsy,
Thank you. This is what is concerning me.
I did not realise how hard three blade spinners and props are to get hold of once you go beyond 4'' and 16'', unless your willing to pay 130usd+.

Thanks so much for the help
Old 09-07-2008, 07:41 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

http://www.zingerpropeller.com/3_bladed_Propeller.htm

Take a look at these, I have a couple of the 12x7s I use on Diesels, the blades are replaceable and $40 bucks isn't too bad.

PS, its about 2/3rds of the way down in the center column.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.