Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Evolution Engines Any Good?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 09:32 AM
mwallin85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evolution Engines Any Good?

I'm looking to get a bigger engine for my Mustang and I have been looknig at 60 size engines. I have all OS engines right now and love them but I thought i would try something differnt for a change and save me some dough. The Evolutions .61 seems to be pretty nice, ball bearing and everything but I'v had very little exsperince with this brand. So any comments or concers with this engine would be great!

Thanks,
Old 10-26-2005, 11:25 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Evolution Engines Any Good?

I can't comment on the 61, however the EVO 46 I have runs great.

All I had to do was some minor low end adjustment (about 1/8 turn) and the engine transitions and idles like a dream.

It also has power/pulling ability comparable to an OS 46FX using an APC 11x6.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:37 PM
redfox435cat

I've tried all the evo engines and their all good sport motors. Strong and smooth running with minimal break-in. maybe two tanks. No powerhouse by any means, though with a mac pipe they can rev pretty high. A Jett engineering muffler also does well on them
Old 10-26-2005, 02:56 PM
mirwin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: redfox435cat

I've tried all the evo engines and their all good sport motors. Strong and smooth running with minimal break-in. maybe two tanks. No powerhouse by any means, though with a mac pipe they can rev pretty high. A Jett engineering muffler also does well on them

What's your opinion of the new Evolution gas engines?

Mike
Old 10-26-2005, 04:40 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

I have the EVO TPS and I'm not very satisfied with it. I have had too much go wrong with it in the short time I have had it to give it a good recommendation. I do have the Tower .61 and that is the best engine I have ever seen. I would suggest that you look into that before you make a decision.

Woops
Old 10-27-2005, 12:59 AM
redfox435cat

It works the evo gasser. I still prefer a Bison when it comes to gas. Though I've yet to be impressed with gas. Just doesn't have the power to weight ratio until you get into the twins 3.0 plus and damn it gets expensive, i pretty well got rid of all my gas stuff. It's kinda like electric. It seem cheap until you factor in all the costs
Old 10-27-2005, 12:48 PM
hhhhhhhhh
Banned

ORIGINAL: mwallin85

I'm looking to get a bigger engine for my Mustang and I have been looknig at 60 size engines. I have all OS engines right now and love them but I thought i would try something differnt for a change and save me some dough. The Evolutions .61 seems to be pretty nice, ball bearing and everything but I'v had very little exsperince with this brand. So any comments or concers with this engine would be great!

Thanks,
avarage!
Old 10-27-2005, 01:24 PM
2slow2matter

ORIGINAL: luke21

Thanks,
avarage!
What is that comment based on?
Old 10-27-2005, 01:59 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an Evo TPS (.45) and it's one of my favorites.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:21 PM
2slow2matter

I have the same engine, and it too is one of my favorites--it IS my favorite 2 stroke! My dad has a .61 that runs like a scalded dog, and my brother has one of the new .100's that he's having a bit of difficulty getting setup right. However, once he does, look out!
Old 02-01-2006, 01:54 AM
fyooi

Guys,

Evolution engines are good for the beginners...but they are not powerhouse...they are reliable and easy to operate; unlike Thunder Tiger or Magnum.
If you are an experience pilot and want power, go for SuperTigre, K&B, Rossi or Enya...those are good, powerful and durable engines but failure to proper break-in the engine will give problems in the long run...Enya is a good 1..everlasting as long as you don't crash it and break any of the parts; the parts are quite hard to get..
If you want something easy to operate and just for normal flying, go for Evolution or OS...
Don't buy Magnum,Thunder Tiger or ASP.They are only good for the 1st few months..after that they will give tons of problems.
I have tested and owned almost all brands of engines ranging from 25 sized to 1.60...
Before making any purchase, you must know what you want it for...
Old 02-01-2006, 01:59 AM
fyooi

Evolution 1.00 requires some break-in although the manual does not mention about it.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:54 AM
CGRetired

I have three Evo's. the .40, the .60, and the 1.00.

I am running the .40 in a Goldberg Wild Stick. When it is running well, it has great power and pulls that plane around like any other engine of that general size.. if not better. But.. here we go.. The engine does not run consistently. I set it up and fly it, runs great, then land it, refuel then put it back in the air and it starts to act up... cannot reach maximum RPM, the gap between about 3/10 throttle and full throttle is just about the same.. meaning if I go to full throttle and want to back it off, I have to back off about 6/10ths before I see any effect, then it is extremely touchy between idle and 4/10th throttle. Yeah, I looked at the throttle and at the carb and it is linear. Then, it may go to full throttle, then again it may not (yeah, again, the throttle is full open yet I cannot get the RPM). Adjusting it to possibly lean it out a tad works ok but it now is to lean. Richen it and it just about won't transition.

Next is the .60. It is on a test stand and has not yet been on a plane... so the jury's out on that.

Now the 1.00. Ok. This engine is mounted on an Excelleron 90 pattern plane, inverted operation. This engine is NEVER consistent. Floods out, runs lean then runs rich, and so on. I've tried everything.. replacing the fuel tubing, insuring that the clunk is free, make sure the pressure from the muffler is available and not clogged, took the carb apart, and strengthened the spring, you name it, I've done it. One Gent is sending me an Iron Bay Fuel Regulator to see if this helps fix the problem. We will see. If it does, you can bet your bottom dollar that I will post it on here and let people that have EVO 100's that this may help them get it running right. Power wise, this engine has it. It does throttle up to full and pulls vertical as well as any of them. So, if and when I get it running right, I can imagine that it will do what I bought it for.

DS.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:22 AM
2slow2matter

CG,
I bet you have a tank problem--relationship between tank midline and spraybar. That ended up being the problem with my brothers. We raised the tank (you may need to lower it) and it runs like a stuck pig now. This would be especially touchy in your situation since the motor is inverted.

Sorry to hear about your .46. That's not common with these engines, but I have heard of a few bad ones (like any brand). The majority of them, however, are strong runners.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Now the 1.00. Ok. This engine is mounted on an Excelleron 90 pattern plane, inverted operation. This engine is NEVER consistent.
A guy at my field has the 1.00, and he too couldn't get it to run right. The neck of the tank is pretty much level with the carb.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Sport_Pilot

Suggest the Tower, K&B, Fox, .61's or .75.s. OS LA .65 or TT GP .61 would also be good.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:37 PM
PropSpinner
My Feedback: (15)

I have had OS, MDS, TT, ST, Saito and Tower engines. If money is no object I would stick with O.S. The aggravation index is lower and O.S. is what you're use to.

Thanks,
Old 02-04-2006, 06:38 AM
emailbanter
My Feedback: (2)

Don't buy Magnum,Thunder Tiger or ASP.They are only good for the 1st few months..after that they will give tons of problems. I guess it's a matter of opinion. Many of our club member's happily run Magnum's and Thunder Tiger's with no problems right out of the box. We run gallons of fuel through them. I have three TT .46 pro's and they are easily broken in and very reliable. I have Magnum .40's & .45's that run just as well. Many of my planes are powered by Magnum .61's, 80, & .91 4strokes that are quite reliable and reasonably priced.

I can't speak for ASP motors

On the other hand, I recently purchased an Evo .61 NT and after running a few tanks on a test stand, installed it on a plane I use as a motor mule only to find that the motor will quit after a few minutes of flight time at wide open. The LHS said that they do not run well in cold weather but perfectly in warmer weather (we will see). The average temp here in Iowa hovers between 35 to 40 degrees during the winter. The test plane used is properly set up so there is no fuel draw issues.

Anyone have a similar experience ?