Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Inverted Engine Problems in a Banchee

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Inverted Engine Problems in a Banchee

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 10:39 PM
denifermana
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inverted Engine Problems in a Banchee

I have an o.s. 46ax invert-mounted in a new banchee. I am having problems with flooding at an idle, and cannot adjust the carb to take care of this problem. The tank does sit higher than the carb and due to the construction of the plane I cannot lower the tank, nor can I change the engine orientation. The engine worked fine in a different plane mounted carb up. Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:28 AM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Inverted Engine Problems in a Banchee

What glowplu are you using?
You can try the hotter glowplug of OS--> A3.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:37 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: denifermana

I have an o.s. 46ax invert-mounted in a new banchee. I am having problems with flooding at an idle, and cannot adjust the carb to take care of this problem. The tank does sit higher than the carb and due to the construction of the plane I cannot lower the tank, nor can I change the engine orientation. The engine worked fine in a different plane mounted carb up. Any help is appreciated.
Tank higher than the carb--always a problem. You'll never get it to run right. Been there, done that. Tried dufferent fuel--plugs--all kinds of BS. It's all a waste of time unless you put the tank and carb CL with each other.

You most certainly CAN lower the tank. Just cut the fuse open and do it. Yank out the stock tank support and build a new one at the right height.

It's not that you CAN'T do it--you just don't WANT to. ANYTHING can be done with a little balsa and some CA. Add a couple pieces of scrap covering and your done.

Just move the tank. Your problems will disappear faster than a fart in a hurricane.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:24 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: denifermana

-----------------

Buy a third party regulator by Cline or Iron Bay. You will then pressurize the fuel tank with either crankcase pressure or muffler pressure while inserting a one way valve (check valve) in the pressure line. The latter retains the pressure in the fuel tank. Or you could use a Varsane/Perry pump/regulator to accomplish the same thing. Otherwise, you are just plain out of luck, if you can't mount the fuel tank at the proper location in relation to the carb spray bar.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:07 AM
denifermana

Thanks to all for the advice. I will take a closer look at the plane later today to see which cure I will try.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Turk1

Another try can be to use an idle bar glow plug.I had an inverted application too so Its hard to accept for me to not to be able to adjust.Pls. try hard.Most challenging situation is to start without an electric starter and to keep plane at rest while tank is full.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:28 AM
denifermana

After a few hours of my time, a new tank, some balsa and a dremel; lowering the tank seemed to work. I did also add a hotter plug since we fly in below freezing conditions. Thanks again to all. Hope I can help in the future.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:13 PM
Coshy

A bit of advice I once received was to run the engine with a higher nitro content, worked for me.

Cheers.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Well you can buy plugs, pumps, change nitro and waste quite a bit of money and your problem will not be solved until you lower the tank. Can you cut out the mounting bulkhead and rest it on the bottom? I run three planes like this. I cut out that bulkhead and made a new design to hold it securely on the bottom of the fuselage in the nose. All these planes run perfectly. Other than that, can't help you.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:36 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Cyclic Hardover:
Well you can buy plugs, pumps, change nitro and waste quite a bit of money and your problem will not be solved until you lower the tank. Can you cut out the mounting bulkhead and rest it on the bottom? I run three planes like this. I cut out that bulkhead and made a new design to hold it securely on the bottom of the fuselage in the nose. All these planes run perfectly. Other than that, can't help you.

He already lowered the tank. It worked.

Go back and read post #3 and post #7.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:03 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Post 3 does not say that he lowered the tank, only post 7

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet

Cyclic Hardover:

Old 02-04-2006, 09:15 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet

Cyclic Hardover:

After saying that he couldn't lower the tank. <?>