Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
 AP Engines Yellow Jacket .15 ABC FSR R/C >

AP Engines Yellow Jacket .15 ABC FSR R/C

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

AP Engines Yellow Jacket .15 ABC FSR R/C

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 12:43 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP Engines Yellow Jacket .15 ABC FSR R/C

I'm building a Stinger (.10 size) from Laniear. Can anyone suggest a good engine to mount besides the O.S. .10 engine. I don't like the plastic crankcase cover that the O.S. has.

Has any on operated a AP Engines Yellow Jacket .15 ABC FSR R/C? How are they running?

Thanks,
Tim
Old 10-31-2005, 02:38 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: AP Engines Yellow Jacket .15 ABC FSR R/C

The quality is good on them I have 2 of 09s which are running A,J. Coholics diesel head very strong as a diesel I also have the OS10
as a glow the OS 10 outruns the hornet 09s as a diesel the 09s seem better and they are BB engines. should be an OK engine martin
Old 10-31-2005, 06:59 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Keep it light and use a Norvel .074
Old 10-31-2005, 08:54 PM
DEF

Get an OS .15la and put a .15 fp backplate on it. Even though the la is a bushing engine, it puts out about 2000 more R.P.M. than an A.P. on an 8X3 MAS prop. The Magnum .15 is also a good choice.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:26 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How about an LA .10 with a FP .10 backplate. Remember if you replace the backplate you also have to rig a needle valve or replace the carb with one that has a needle valve.

Does TT still make a .10?

I have both the FP .10 and the TT .10 in CL and both are good runners.

Are you having trouble with the backplate on the LA .10? The one on my LA .15 works fine (I don't have the LA .10). The only trouble I've heard about the plastic backplate is when the screws are too tight. Washers between the screws and backplate will cure that if you tend to over-tighten.

George
Old 11-01-2005, 11:16 AM
SST

Why buy an engine, and have to dieselize it ($), or replace parts ($ again), instead of buying an inexpensive, powerful motor and use it straight from the box? The Norvel .074 will purely kick butt on the OS.10.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:26 PM
My Feedback: (1)

SST,

Where can I find a Norvel .074 ? Does it come with muffler?

Cheers from Milwaukee WI.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:15 PM
SST

You can buy 'em from Sig or direct from Norvel and probably from your LHS.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:19 PM
SST

ORIGINAL: SST

You can buy 'em from Sig or direct from Norvel and probably from your LHS.
Oh, and yes, they have a nice compact bolted on muffler, and Fly Quiet also makes a pre-sized add-on tuned muffler that adds about 20% more thrust...

These engines are real jewels. I have 6 and wish I had 6 more! Got rid of all my other .10 size engines.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:37 PM

I tried to avoid this thread because my mother used to say that if I didn't have something nice to say, I shouldn't say anything at all.
I was going to go with that plan, and then, I thought, that's why this forum is fun. You get to hear everyones opinion, so here goes;
The only time my AP .09 actually flew was when I threw it in the trash can. Even then it made a dent in the bottom because it weighs so much![&o] Ross
Old 11-03-2005, 10:14 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: SST
Why buy an engine, and have to dieselize it ($), or replace parts ($ again), instead of buying an inexpensive, powerful motor and use it straight from the box? The Norvel .074 will purely kick butt on the OS.10.
It depends on your application. I would suggest that, say, a Piper Cub would not appear "scale-like" with a prop half the scale size and engine sounding like a bee. Sometimes sheer power is NOT what you want. Of course, sometimes it IS.

This is an unbiased opinion, I have both engines (not dieselized).

George
Old 11-06-2005, 09:53 PM

The question refered to the .15 yellowjacket not the .09 hornet. I have several examples of the .074 Norvel. They are fine engines and have the most power of anything close to their displacement. The .15 is not the same displacement. I have seen the AP .15 turn up with the rest of the .15s while presenting a more compact package. I have experimented with tuning a pipe to get more performance. I did some internal machining and cleanup on one of mine. Mine have been only run on the bench and are only slightly broken in.

I read the result of one tuner turning over 22k with a prop of usable size but I didn't come anywhere near that. I don't think you are in the market for the kind of modifications he did. There are more friendly engines to mount on your plane but the AP should do just fine if you have the time for the long break-in.