Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Mufflere loosening

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 08:05 PM
CB36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mufflere loosening

Hi all;
I'm breaking in a new Saito 82 and cannot seem to keep the muffler tight. It is made up of a header tube and the muffler. The header tube has threads on both ends with lock nuts. The header tube screws into the head and the muffler screws onto the tube. I can't get through half a tank of fuel without it flopping around. I called Horizon and their "techie" said to tighten it very hard. Hmmmm, aluminum, wrench, and a gorilla twist seems like a recipe for disaster to me!
Any suggestions???
Thanks; CB36
Old 11-01-2005, 08:29 PM
mandtra
My Feedback: (29)

Default RE: Mufflere loosening

Well I have 2 and never had that problem . just thread in the nipple most all the way in and torque down on the lock nuts. about 30lbs should do it,and if your still worried put on some thread locker
Old 11-01-2005, 08:34 PM
mwunsworth
My Feedback: (13)

I had the same problem in the past on a Saito 150 and OS 120 Surpass. Use some blue removable lock tite and it will solve your problem. Don't use too much or it makes it very diffcult to remove later. Also, after you apply, let it sit for a while, overnight if possible, so the lock tite can harden up.

Definately be careful tightening the mufller. You could damage the threads in the head which would result in having to buy a replacement head.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:40 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like to use Teflon tape on the threads, then snug down firmly. Retighten after it's been run (while still hot) to firm things up.