Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

ASP 108

Old 10-20-2011, 12:35 PM
dogshome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ASP 108

The original ASP 40 carbs were rubbish. Later ones fine.

I have an ASP 108. It's heavy. Slightly more powerful than my ST90. The head bolts need tightening down as they are small and the fit of the head to the barrel isn't great. 15*6 about right. It's also thirsty!

But it was cheap and it does the job.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Azcat59

Ed, I bought my first two ASP 108 Redheads from Indy RC way back when.....probably early 1990s. I ran the extra head shim and ran them on 10% fuel. With a Slimline Pitts muffler the engine would not richen up, even if you removed the high speed NV and held your finger over the hole. It was fine with the OS 61 size muffler, which added back pressure. And the OS carb made a well-behaved engine out of it. In more recent years, I bought a newer (Series 3) ASP 108 from Just Engines in England, and the carb was much different, and it has run fine. I also have two Magnum 90 two strokes, one the OS FSR copy, and the other the newer OS 90 copy, and both are user friendly engines. My Magnum 50 (52?) is a real honker too. I think the Chinese were doing ok with their engines, I have a GMS 47, and two Tower 75s and they are all well behaved. Too bad the Tower 75 in no longer imported, it was one of the finest buys out there.

Clair Sieverling
Old 10-20-2011, 04:14 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Azcat59

Ed, I bought my first two ASP 108 Redheads from Indy RC way back when.....probably early 1990s. I ran the extra head shim and ran them on 10% fuel. With a Slimline Pitts muffler the engine would not richen up, even if you removed the high speed NV and held your finger over the hole. It was fine with the OS 61 size muffler, which added back pressure. And the OS carb made a well-behaved engine out of it. In more recent years, I bought a newer (Series 3) ASP 108 from Just Engines in England, and the carb was much different, and it has run fine. I also have two Magnum 90 two strokes, one the OS FSR copy, and the other the newer OS 90 copy, and both are user friendly engines. My Magnum 50 (52?) is a real honker too. I think the Chinese were doing ok with their engines, I have a GMS 47, and two Tower 75s and they are all well behaved. Too bad the Tower 75 in no longer imported, it was one of the finest buys out there.

Clair Sieverling

Hi, Clair. Yes, some of the very early .40 & .46 size ASP engines did have some carb problems. Mostly it was such things as flashing not being removed or o-rings either not installed, or being dried out. They were not perfect engines. I am not making that claim. But most were good engines, if you used the old Fox standard as a comparison.

The redhead was not intended to be ran over 9k rpm. It was not an OS clone, as I'm sure you know, but was a good engine on the average. Yes, the carbs on the .90 and 1.08 were way too large for good performance. The Chinese did make a few mistakes here and there.

If you wanted Chinese junk, all you had to do was to buy the earliest Tiger Shark engines. Some of those could not be make to run without the use of a machine shop. I understand that even they have been producing nice engines of late, although I have yet to buy one.

You know, if our economy worsens appreciably, the Chinese engines will most likely dry up, which would leave us engine less for the most part. It's all a plot to force us to go electric power!.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Azcat59

I agree with your comments Ed. If I remember right, I ran my 108s on 15x8 APC props and probably turned in the range of 8500 to 9000. One in a Lanier Laser 200, and one in a Goldberg Ultimate bipe, both under 10 lbs. Still have'em.

Glow engines are getting more scarce, although the used market for them is pretty good with so many guys going electric. As for me, they will have to "pry my glow engines from my dead, cold fingers"! I've had a good relationship with them since 1947 (ignition) and the next year when glow became available!

Clair
Old 10-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ed, they run good when you get a good one.  On my ASP .91 the carb barrel cracked from the clinch bolt.  I do not think I over tightened.  The metal seems very soft.  Repaired it by straighting it and putting glue in the crack.  Had a similar proble when tightening the trottle arm on the carb barrel of a Magnum .30 four stroke.  The metal seems very brittle.  The only engines I have this kind of issue are Magnum and ASP.  It could be coincidence, but that is what I form my opinion on.  No such problems with Fox, TT, OS (long ago), and others.  
Old 10-21-2011, 02:02 AM
jstanton

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I have been running this Magnum/ASP 108 for a couple of months now and I have never even had a dead stick. I started using 10% cool power with a evo glow plug on a MAS 15x8 prop. So far no issues with this motor and I like how easy it is to start. I have ordered another ASP 108 from Himodel.com. I have a new Phoenix Extra 330s I am going to put this engine in. I am like Clair & Ed. Half of the fun of flying these planes is hearing that motor run when it goes by. Electrics are nice for park flyers but real RC'ers smile that Glow/Gas fuel
Old 10-21-2011, 11:07 AM
NM2K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Ed, they run good when you get a good one. On my ASP .91 the carb barrel cracked from the clinch bolt. I do not think I over tightened. The metal seems very soft. Repaired it by straighting it and putting glue in the crack. Had a similar proble when tightening the trottle arm on the carb barrel of a Magnum .30 four stroke. The metal seems very brittle. The only engines I have this kind of issue are Magnum and ASP. It could be coincidence, but that is what I form my opinion on. No such problems with Fox, TT, OS (long ago), and others.

And you are naming the things that you get when you pay half as much, or less, than you would when you buy an OS, Enya, Saito or YS, just to name a few examples.

I'm not saying that Sanye engines are the same quality as the more expensive engines. I am saying that they are of sufficient quality, these days, to provide one with an excellent performing engine that is reliable and powerful enough to do the job.

The Japanese are known for gilding the lily. If your engines must look like jewels, then you will prefer Japanese made engines, but the gilding just isn't necessary for sport flying.

Ed Cregger