Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

My New OS 1.60 FX

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 05:44 AM
flyathome
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My New OS 1.60 FX

I got my new OS 1.60 FX today. I am going to put it on the Great Planes 1/4 scale Giles I am putting together. I am debating as to what prop to use. I am leaning toward a Zinger 18X6. I would be interested in hearing from those of you who have experience with this engine. Also what fuel are you using? What problems have you encountered, etc.

Thanks for any info you may have to share.

Steve
Old 01-07-2003, 06:00 AM
Aerosplat
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Been discused already

Look at these two threads ---

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...82&forumid=209

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...9&pagenumber=1]
Old 01-07-2003, 09:05 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Go with a Menz 18x6 or 18x8 instead or a APC of the same size!

Regards!

Jan K
Old 01-08-2003, 03:43 AM
DLT
My Feedback: (48)

Default OS 160 and Giles

Steve, that is the set up I have. I have been using a Zinger pro 18x8. I tried the 18x6 but it seemed like the engine wanted to over rev. I run Wildcat 10% nitro with 80/20 syn castor blend fuel and then I add about 2-3 oz of Klotz Super Techniplate which is their 80/20 syn castor blend, (most of the engines I have bought lately call for mininum 18% preferbly 20% oil) and a # 8 plug.

This plane literally has unlimited vertical performance. Also I have a Bisson Pitts muffler on it as well and have not encountered any problems with this set up and love listening to the awesome roar and power of this engine.....Dave
Old 01-08-2003, 04:12 AM
padre
My Feedback: (8)

Default I'm not impressed with the OS 1.6!

I have been running the big Saitos in my 1.20 size models for the last several years, and have always been very satisfied with them. For some reason I decided to try an OS 1.60 Fx in the DP Ultimate. After a quick break-in on the bench, in accordance with the owners manual, I intalled the engine and went flying.

Started with the needle valve about three turns out and made the maiden flight. Uneventful flight. On the next flight she went lean and I landed and had to richen it up for it to even keep running. Made another flight very rich but still uneventful. It is not very responsive to needle changes.

Fourth flight, still very rich, flew for about five minutes, everything seemed fine, then she just faded and quit. Still had plenty of fuel. Landed in the rough but not too much damage.

I'm not having much luck with this engine. Using a BCM pitts and WC 15% with a Pro Zinger 18x6.

Any Suggestions?
Old 01-08-2003, 07:16 PM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ponca, my 160 runs very well on 10 to 15% nitro fuel and an APC 18X8 prop. Using standard size fuel tubing (3/32" id), by the way.

Padre, sounds like you have an airleak somewhere in the system. Check the rempte NV assemble, carb base o-ring, back plate o-ring and all the fuel lines for leaks, cracks, etc.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:04 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Padre,

Check out the other threads about the 160. Also what muffler are you using? The theory is the Pitts style mufflers don't provide enough back pressure to pressurize the fuel tank. I've heard that if the high end needle valve is NOT sensitive enough, it's lack of pressure. If it's TOO sensitive, it's too much backpressure.

I am in the process of diagnosing a similar problem with my 160FX. Unfortunately, I don't have the original muffler to try.

Mike
Old 01-08-2003, 10:22 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best fix is a Perry pump. It's a wonder OS doesn't put out a pump with it. Would be a pretty trouble free engine.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:52 AM
padre
My Feedback: (8)

Default Thanks, Guys!

Thanks for the input, guys. I suspected that the culprit was inadequate muffler back pressure. I spoke with my LHS owner today and he confirmed that almost all of the 1.60's he has sold have had the same problem. Most are using the Cline system or Perry pump as a fix.

I am going to experiment with restricting the pipes first and then go from there.

I may end up replacing the OS with the Saito 1.80 that I was going to use in the beginning. I don't like feeling like a sucker who bought an engine/muffler combo while standing face to face with my LHS owner, and him not telling me about the problems that I will encounter. Had I known that this combo had not been well engineered, I would have never bought it.

Adios
Old 01-09-2003, 02:00 AM
JERRY RCIA

Poncaflyer, I'm running this engine in an H9 Cap. This is one of the sweetest running engines I've ever owned. The best prop I've found is the APC 18/8. I run Powermaster 10% fuel and an OS # 8 plug. This combo is totally reliable and produces awesome power. Do use a Slimline Pitts or the standard muffler and avoid the Bisson. It seems that most of the folks having problems with this engine are using Bisson mufflers. I have the Slimline on mine and have not had a single problem...............Jerry
Old 01-09-2003, 02:00 AM
Dazzler
My Feedback: (6)

padre, I run the OS160 in a H9 Cap 232 with bisson muffler, and one in a GP Giles with stock muffler, both running Zinger 18x8, and they run flawless. I would highly recommend the OS, I would never buy another Saito, a buddy of mine has a Saito 180 in his, and that thing vibrates the crap out of his plane, and sucks fuel like there's no tomorrow, and lets not even talk about that crappy muffler they supply with the Saito's. The pressure nipple falls off, and strips the threads holding it in, what a pain. I have had 0 problems with my OS160's, hand start with a couple of flips, and the fuel economy is great. OS160 will swing the bigger prop too, and for the cost of the Saito 180, you'll be sorry!!! Daz...
Old 01-09-2003, 03:30 AM
joebob
My Feedback: (14)

I've been running mine with a Cline regulator since I got it and was having a little trouble with the transition. I decided to take the regulator off, but left the 1-way check valve in the pressure line. Tuned it up and it runs like a scalded dog. Instant transition from idle to full. I also switched to an OS F plug. That may have had something to do with it, too......
Old 01-09-2003, 03:41 AM
joebob
My Feedback: (14)

Default IS that OK?

After I made that last post, I got to thinking (and for me, that's unfamiliar terriroty!) and wondered if running the 1.60 with 1-way check valve in the pressure line, fed from a pressure tap in the crankcase, is an OK thing to do. Seem to have no problem with it leaning out or richening up during flight, so I figure it's OK...

What do you guys think?
Old 01-09-2003, 04:27 AM
DLT
My Feedback: (48)

Default OS 160

I forgot to mention on my Giles and 160 (Bisson Pitts muffler) that I have a check valve on it and i'm not having any problems...could be that the check valve would be the answer...would be simple enough to try. Just installed it in the pressure line to the muffler.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:29 AM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

I have a 160 in a GP giles as well. Initially I had a lot of trouble that I finally traced down to the low end being too lean. I had great response and plenty rich at full throttle but it was eating plugs. I richened it to the point it was a little lazy on transition and then it ran great. Now after many gallons I have leaned the low end quite a bit and the transition is fantastic and the top end is great but it's real rich through the midrange. I heard that plugging one outlet of the pitts muffler will help and I may try the check valve idea. My favorite prop for the combo is the 18-6 Master Airscrew regular wood series. I wish they made an 18-6 in their wood scimitar series.
basmntdweller