NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Supertiger 51 - Surging problem

ORIGINAL: sigrun

ORIGINAL: indyrcpilot
Q. Anyone out there have any ideas?
A. Yes.

1. Unload it on ebay to one of 'the most Worshipful'.

2. Buy a TT PRO .46, O.S. .46/.55AX, Enya CX50, Irvine .53, MVVS .49 any other recognized as reputable brand not fitted with an infamous MAG carb. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

--------------

That's what I like about you. You're always so helpful and positive.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-29-2006, 03:22 PM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good one Ed .
I still say mount the engine in a test stand as I said earlier (and several others have agreed) to make sure its really the engine thats giving you the problems and not a fuel delivery situation.
Also I would then check all the bolts for tightness and loosen the carb and re tighten while pressing down to make sure the Oring is sealing properly.
The reason for asking what sort of plane and mounting was that a inverted engine can give a person troubles at times ,but this shouldn't be your case ,if anything you will find the tank is low in that trainer not to high
Good luck with it .
Old 11-30-2006, 12:23 AM
bradmcc

I have had my Super Tiger 51 on a stand for a total of five hours and 1-1/4 gallons of fuel and in the plane for two hours. The tank was mounted perfect as it is in the plane. I have had no luck getting this motor to run right. I have had surging at every range except full and low throttle. I would get one range set then it would surge at another. I have tried every method of adjustment possible. I found one adjustment that worked. I threw in the white towel and replaced the engine with a OS MAX 46AX. I couldn't be happier. This is a sweet running engine.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:35 AM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Engines are kind of organic in that no two are exactly alike despite CNC tolerances. You may have simply gotten a lemon. The next one off the line is probably running perfectly somewhere. Glad you found a fix.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:42 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

5 Hours ,Sorry but if that would have been my engine,after the first 60 mins that thing would have been in a box and headed back to Hobby Services.
As a rule ST engines run great for me ,yep I do think you got a hold of a LEMON !
Despite all the bad claims you hear about OS ,They run good and are very user friendly .Glad you got that much of it fixed at least you can now go fly.
I have been waiting on a few more posts on the new 55 AX before I get one, so far so good from what I have seen.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:02 PM
sigrun

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger
Ed Cregger
Really, what's not both a positive solution and helpful suggestion about my most sagacious advice which would with absolute certainty both end our original enquirer's frustration and ensure his problem immediately rectified? It's always best to confront a reality Ed, regardless of whether it affronts misplaced loyalties.

But perhaps a larger problem requiring attention would be you heed you own advice to be positve and helpful Ed, if you can't offer anything other than this flimisily contrived ad hominem over a perceived previous slight? Get over it. If you can manage that, we might even be 'friends'. [X(]

As for Super Tigre engines both in this particular and the general. There's no point in pretending such problems doesn't exist right accross the capacity range, invariably almost all induced by their flawed carburation. Even for the dullest intellect, a short perusal of RCU forum archives should correct any other than the most obstinately delusional on that score.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:39 PM
opjose

For the record, my 2 stroke ST .75 came with a longer FS type plug in it.

Has the original poster replaced the plug with something else?

Old 11-30-2006, 08:51 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: sigrun

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger
Ed Cregger
Really, what's not both a positive solution and helpful suggestion about my most sagacious advice which would with absolute certainty both end our original enquirer's frustration and ensure his problem immediately rectified? It's always best to confront a reality Ed, regardless of whether it affronts misplaced loyalties.

But perhaps a larger problem requiring attention would be you heed you own advice to be positve and helpful Ed, if you can't offer anything other than this flimisily contrived ad hominem over a perceived previous slight? Get over it. If you can manage that, we might even be 'friends'. [X(]

As for Super Tigre engines both in this particular and the general. There's no point in pretending such problems doesn't exist right accross the capacity range, invariably almost all induced by their flawed carburation. Even for the dullest intellect, a short perusal of RCU forum archives should correct any other than the most obstinately delusional on that score.

---------------

Let's see, all I have to do is use an avatar of an archeopteryx and my IQ will automatically gain 100 points...?

I was just teasing. Relax.

As far as I'm concerned, we ARE friends. And there is nothing that you can do about it, being way down there in Oster-alia.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-09-2006, 09:01 PM
indyrcpilot

ORIGINAL: opjose

For the record, my 2 stroke ST .75 came with a longer FS type plug in it.

Has the original poster replaced the plug with something else?
Yes, I put a Fox RC Long plug in it.
The old ST40 I used to have ran great on that brand of plug.

I've pulled the engine from the LT-40 to put it on a stand, but it's been way too cold to test run.

I did pull the back plate off and noticed that it didn't seem nearly as tough to reinsert as other ST engines that I've worked on.
Wonder if the Chinese are using a different O-ring for the backplate that isn't quite as big as the older Italian version?
In fact, I wonder about the other O-rings as well - the one for the carb and the one for the needle valve.

Chuck
Old 12-10-2006, 09:54 AM
speedster 1919
My Feedback: (3)

Chuck This sounds like a challege . I live 10 miles south of Indy and if you want help PM me. You didn't mention if your low needle was double checked to fill cat's eye half way o make sure it's not out of whack. But you say your ST40 carb did the same thing.......
Old 12-21-2006, 09:53 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh another one
Old 12-22-2006, 01:07 AM
Checklst

I had a Super Tiger 51 act the vary same way a constantly surging, I must have chased the needles for a couple of days. Then I pulled it off the plane and dissembled it before going onto the test stand..................... Broken Ring next time it will come off the plane sooner. Oh well you know the old saying "it happens"
Old 01-02-2007, 01:06 PM
indyrcpilot

I checked the ring on mine and it was fine.

May have to wait for warmer weather to continue trouble-shooting the problem.

Chuck