Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

*** CLUB SUPER TIGRE ***

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 02:02 AM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *** CLUB SUPER TIGRE ***

w8ye i think someone installed perry on it. if i remember right comos came w/s.t. carbs. comos were priced cheap but they built by sup. tig. as you prob. allready know, they were great engs. too. that's my .03$ worth.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:58 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The old Super Tigre carbs were designed different and they were a snap to set. The only time a modeler messed with rotating the spray bar was when trying to smooth out the transition from off the pipe to on the pipe. It never needed adjustment when running an average muffler. Making carbs ever larger over the years also made adjusting them much more difficult. Some things were better in the old days and Super Tigre carbs were one of them.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-29-2008, 11:25 AM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

Check it out fellas - new 3250 with Bisson muffler and Tru Turn 5 inch ultimate. Can't wait to run it! It's going in a Great Planes Pitts.

Spence
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13437.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	1098794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58846.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1098795  
Old 12-29-2008, 11:53 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The newer Chinese made Super Tiger carbs are made a little different than the old Italian ones.

The "CatEye" slot in the spray bar has been changed to a straight flat milled across the spray bar.

The Chinese ST engines I've been around run very well. The same milled flat is in the Tower 61 - 75 engine carbs

I would think this milled area would make the exact spray bar position less sensitive?
Old 12-29-2008, 12:29 PM
fujiman

thanks for imput w8ye, sounds like the chinese are addressing carb. probs. good news for all. s.t. guys, anyone out there have parts to go from 2000 to 2500? i'm trying to match a pair for D.H. mosquito prodjet. i need sleave/piston, ring, wrist pin. if anyone can help my email is [email protected]
Old 01-28-2009, 10:16 AM
keithackerman

After reading the postings, I couldn't help but add my two cents worth. I have several ST motors and love them. I have found that the best solution to the carb issue is simply plumb a perry pump in the fuel supply line with a return T to the fuel tank between the pump and the carb. This allows for a constant fuel supply to the carb and no pressure on the tank system. I don't use the muffler tap at all. I also am mixing my own fuel. I am using Red Line pure synthetic at 10% oil and 90% mehtanol with no Nitro. I am mixing fuel for less than $8 per gallon and the engine runs flawlessly. I can idle at 1600 rpm and nail the throttle with instant response. I normally set the idle to around 1800 rpm. No loading up and no midrange burble. The homebrew fuel makes the motor perform so much better, I don't think I'll go back to the commercially available brands. I've found it best to choke the motor to get the carb good and wet before trying to fire it up. Let the motor run for 20 to 30 seconds on the Hot Shot and once warmed up, up up and away. The best part is, I get to fly large scale planes on glow fuel and my wife isn't complaining about having a weed eater/chainsaw smell in the house when I come home from the field.

Keith
Old 02-06-2009, 06:24 AM
Mudball3

Justhad a quick Question. would mercurys quick silver oil work in these engines.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:28 AM
qldviking

NOT at all, those oils are designed for water cooled motors that run at lower tamps, and would lose protctive abilities at our motors higher temps
Old 03-04-2009, 10:11 PM
edalves68

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey ST fans,

I'm looking for a muffler for a ST X.21, I understand they will take a G15, G20 muffler, anyone know where I can find one. Anyone have any experience with the X.21. Thanks,

Ed
Old 03-05-2009, 11:07 PM
FLYINGFOOL*2007

Keith,
I have pondered the idea of mixing my own fuel, can you tell me a little about the prosess? ie: where can i get the stuff i need and perhaps some instruction on mixing. any help would be great!
thanks,

Becket Tanner.

Fly it like it aint yours! [>:]
Old 03-06-2009, 02:34 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: edalves68

Hey ST fans,

I'm looking for a muffler for a ST X.21, I understand they will take a G15, G20 muffler, anyone know where I can find one. Anyone have any experience with the X.21. Thanks,

Ed

I am an ST G20/15 fan and have collected a few. None came with mufflers. In order to fly with a stock muffler, I have gone so far as to buy G20/23 engines just for their mufflers and then resold the G20/23 without the muffler.

If you want to fly now and not wait forever, Tower sells a Tatone strap-on manifold for $19.95 (when I bought mine a couple of years ago) that will get you flying legally at most fields until you get lucky and find the real deal. They are nearly as scarce as stock Fox mufflers for the baffle piston Fox Eagle.

Ed Cregger
Old 03-06-2009, 10:45 AM
jib

Macs sells a header that will fit Zenoah G-20,G-23,G-26

See http://www.macspro.com/headers_side.asp

Hopefully, I"m not way out in left field with the suggestion.

Jack
Old 03-06-2009, 11:45 AM
NM2K

This is a different G20, not the Zenoah. This is one by Super Tigre and it's a little .15 sized glow engine. Thanks for the offer of assistance, though.

Ed Cregger
Old 03-06-2009, 12:21 PM
jib

Duhhh "ST G20/15"

Sorry Ed. I didn't know about the shared nomenclature. This seemed so simple, I thought I might be wrong.

FYI - I'm relatively new to ST, having just acquired a new (old) S90 and virtually new (old) S75. I hope to break in the 90 during the late spring/early summer and get it on a .60-.90 sized Phoenix 330 Extra. You guys may get questions from me then, although I've downloaded a huge amount of carb tuning info from this thread already.

Jack
Old 03-07-2009, 03:15 PM
tigrejohn
My Feedback: (7)

Question to keithhackerman (post 1156). What is the reasoning for placing a return line between the Perry pump and the carb? I thought the idea of a Perry pump was to provide a regulated flow of fuel under pressure to the carb. Why release this pressure with the return line? Isn't the pump adjustable?
Old 03-07-2009, 03:54 PM
NM2K

Because (one possibility) some folks can't seem to give up the muffler pressure line, which disables the regulating function in the Perry Pump. Or something like that.

I used to like the Robart pump better than the Perry pump. I would have a heck of a time quantifying exactly why I felt/feel that way. My guess is that the Robart pump didn't pump at as much pressure as the Perry pump, making it easier to live with when using a stock carb on the engine.

Ed Cregger
Old 03-25-2009, 11:18 AM
pauldo

This is the first time I have read this thread, and the difference of oppinion is stagering, but, in my experience, certainly representative of the moddelers here in South Africa. I have a number of Super Tigres, and have learned a number of lessons. If you get one that runs, it will last forever.
It is true that the carbs are not ideal. They do run rich in the midrange. This was a real problem in the 2300, 3250 and 4500. The 3000 did not seem to suffer as badly. This problem became worse if you used more than the sipulated 10% oil. We did not notice this problem as much in the past. Our flying style has, however, changed, and we make far more use of midrange now, than before, thanks to 3D flying. You had to get the low end as lean as possible, to a point where it would almost die when you opened the throttle. This gave you the best transision.
Nitro in some of these engines is a No-No
5% is OK in the 2300, but use a colder plug - OS no5
The 3000 is happy on 5%
The 3250 has had a chequered past. Some run, and some don't. In fact the first of the 3250 were produced with a double concave combustion chanber. These did not run at all. Super Tigre then swapped out these heads, but we still battled to get the motors to run thereafter.
The 4500 will not run with 5% nitro, and will cut our soon after removing the plug.
This is caused by pre ignition. All of you who have unexplained flame outs in the air reduce your nitro content. The compression in these engines is set for use with little or no nitro.

The best thing to happen to SuperTigre is the move to China. They solved one of the biggest problems. They modified the Carb barrel which is used in all engines from the 2300 to 4500. The reduced the lateral movement of the barrel as you opened and closed the throttle. The slot / cam, which controls this was cut at a shallower angle, thus changing the calibration of the carb, and correcting the fuel metering in the mid range. I have bought new barrels for all of my 2300 to 4500 engines and they are now brilliant. My 3000's run absolutely smooth right down to idle.

I am a Super Tigre fan, but am aware of their shortcomings. They seem to make 10 good motors, and then a couple of bad ones, or one of the componants lets them down. i.e the carb. I tried to clean up the ports on a 2300 sleave once, and it was so hard, it damaged my file, without a mark on the sleave. Hence they will take time to run in, but last forever.

Love them or hate them, when you get a good one, it will be very very good.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:43 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Chinese Super Tigers I've been around had excellent mid range
Old 03-26-2009, 01:23 AM
pauldo

Yes, they all have the new Carb Barrels. I also saw review in a magazine on the little 45. The same tester reviewed the 45 made in Italy, some years back, and he was supprised to find that the Chinese model produced more power, swinging the same prop at higher revs.

This is great news. I think that you can now buy the Super Tigre product with more confidence. They seem to have worked on some of the early floors. It is interesting that Super Tigre were the guys who developed the ABC piston liner assembly, and the dual needle carb. You would think that they would have stayed ahead of the pack?? Despite this, their Metallurgy is good, and their liners are as hard as glass.

There was talk some years back of the release of a 35cc. I think Tower indicated this. I wounder if they shelved the idea, based on the petrol revolution? Would be nice in the 27 % aircraft for those who want to stay with glow. I would have loved one.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:11 PM
Dan M
My Feedback: (1)

Hi .

i ended up with a large Hawker Sea Fury kit built A/C , second hand , it has a ST 90 ringed on it .

it has 2001 marked on the paperwork in the engine box that came with the AC

the plane has never been flown , i think the engine has been bench run and then mounted , as after removing the carb there is discolored goo on the crank but the engine appears new .

the big long can muffler on it looks to have too small of an exhaust port , does it need to be enlarged ?

i have it soaking in diesel for one day , then i am going to pull it and oil the hell out of it with rem oil , and then break the engine in again .

does anyone know of a direct replacement carb for the 90 ? an OS 90 ?

i had an old ST that was made in France i think .. it was a CL engine and was Fast as hell and liked the taste of colored paper streamers .

i have always heard the ST's were good RC engines with a retro fit carb although this is my first RC ST engine .

Thanks !

Dan

Old 04-21-2009, 01:43 PM
yekots
My Feedback: (1)

Great thread! New question for you all, will a new China carb fit an old (1988) S-45 ABC?

Thanks guys.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:48 PM
NM2K

Just an addendum to my own previous post, which the messed up editing function in RCU's program appears to have devoured.

I would love to see the Robart fuel pump (in both glow and petrol versions) be produced again. I would be a rather steady customer.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-21-2009, 02:58 PM
fujiman

i'm using a walbro carb adapter and adapter parts from horizon hobbies for the evo 26/35 gassers and a walbro wt-499 alky carb. on my ST 2300, 2500 and 4500. no more fuel draw problems, can now put fuel tank closer to c/g. os 4 stroke glow plug and onboard lighter.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:22 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have tested the walbro wt-499 carb on one of my 2300s and it runs very well with this carb and standard glow fuel. seems to me this is a great option for this engine.

Ed
Old 04-21-2009, 06:00 PM
fujiman

ed, how is the wt-499 carb holding up with glow fuel w/nitro? i haven't been able to run mine yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.