Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 01:00 AM
Luna_Rendezvous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: worst engine ever

ORIGINAL: rainedave

Try an APC 10x6 and see if you do better than my SS40BB:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8345393

The figures in the link above are about right for that engine on 5% nitro. If your SS45 does a little bit better I'd say it's performing fine.

David

Don't have that prop on hand, but will get one next week, I'll even match your fuel, 5% nitro and 22% castor? I would expect it to run 12.5K

Though it's an apples to oranges test, plain bearing for me with aluminum piston (ringed), mine is more over square and is C/L.

Yours is rated at 1.2BHP while the ss40 plain bearing C/L is 1.1BHP

What figures do you get with the APC 11x6?
Old 02-09-2009, 05:01 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

The problem is that OS engines are so good that we need one to pick on and that is the LA series.

From the tach forum.

I have a nice well used TT GP42 that made the following numbers using an OS .40 size muffler with no baffle (cause that is all I had). On an APC 10X4 15,300 an APC 10X7 11,800. On 15% Magnum fuel and a Merlin red plug. 57 deg temp, 42% hum. 30.3in baro.

My only problem with the OS LA series is their price. It is too high for what else you can buy for the same money, or less. For the same money you can buy a Chinese made ball bearing engine that will eat the OS .40 & .46 LA alive in power production. Then why do I own so many OS LA engines? Nostalgia partly. I cut my modeling teeth on plain bearing engines. Versatility in that you can fly, wipe the model a little bit and throw it in the trunk of your car without worrying about running it out dry or pumping it full of ARO. And last, but most important these days, they make excellent Diesel conversions with their small carburetors and conservative timing.

Besides all of that, engine designs have their own personalities. Some are just flat-out enjoyable to operate. What amazes me is how the LA series of engines vary in operating characteristics from one displacement to another. While the .40 and .46 LA engines aren't all that powerful, the .15, .20 and .25 sized LA's are not slouches in the slightest. I sometimes think that the .40 and .46 were detuned to get the buyer to buy another, more expensive engine.

Ed Cregger
Old 02-09-2009, 08:03 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Luna_Rendezvous

The engine is rated @ 1.3BHP without mentioning propeller used or at what rpm.

The recommended props are 11x6 to 12x7

Kens said to break the engine in on the 11x6

While I never really expected it to run @ 1.3BHP, not many engines do there rated HP figures but 1.1 to 1.2BHP would have been acceptable for the given purpose.
It will be at peak rpm which will be far faster than it can turn an 11-6. Guaranteed. And no engine makes peak horsepower on any of the recommended props, unless you are buying a special purpose engine. I still say that if you are expecting that kind of horsepower at low rpm, you have too small an engine for the job.

I fully believe the engine might be a dog relative to others; I am just saying that by expecting those horsepower numbers on big props you might have a lifetime of disappointment.

MJD
Old 02-25-2009, 12:11 AM
Luna_Rendezvous

ORIGINAL: rainedave

Try an APC 10x6 and see if you do better than my SS40BB:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8345393

The figures in the link above are about right for that engine on 5% nitro. If your SS45 does a little bit better I'd say it's performing fine.

David
Got an APC 10x6 today, balanced the prop and fired up the Enya SS45 Ring Pro...

22% Lubricant, 50/50 castor/coolpower blue
5% Nitro Methane
73% Methanol

Air Density 1.158 kg/m3

Plug Enya No:3

No Muffler

Rpm = 12910 [:@]

Next run with 10% Nitro and 24% Lube...

Rpm = 13100 [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 02-25-2009, 01:12 AM
XJet
Banned

Why are you using/wasting so much oil?

You'd probably get better results if you went down to 18% consisting of 15% CP and 3% castor.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:17 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

He has a plain bearing Enya SS40

Dave Raine has the BB
Old 02-25-2009, 02:07 AM
Luna_Rendezvous

ORIGINAL: XJet

Why are you using/wasting so much oil?

You'd probably get better results if you went down to 18% consisting of 15% CP and 3% castor.

I don't know? Maybe I’m "wasting oil"

I own about 17 model glow engines, none are ABC and one has ball bearings, and none have carburetors, I fly control line which means WOT 100% of the time, none of my engine manufacturers recommend lubricant content under 20% so I guess I'll be wasting lube for a while longer

Oh by the way I bought my first RC model a month ago, and it's a Lecky .... Can’t believe how easy RC is compared control line, you thumb twiddlers need to try the F2B, all stunts done between 5' and 60' from the ground!