Quick Muffler Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Mav-Ric
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Muffler Question

Hello all:

I have just purchased a Hanger 9 Pulse XT 40 with the Evolution .46 NT engine. As I was running a tank of fuel through it today to break it in, I noticed that the exhaust end of the muffler rotated and so instead of the fuel spitting off to the side of the airplane, it was spitting right on it. Now I know the plane is going to get fuel on it regardless, but not as much as if the exhaust was turned outward.

Now, I'm not big on building planes and messing with engine stuff - I just fly them [>:] But my question is, how do I rotate it back? You would think that it must have been loose in order for it to rotate, but I tried to rotate it back, and it was as if it was stuck in place. Is this a matter of just loosening up the screw on the back of the muffler and resetting the exhaust, and then tigtening it back down?

I would like to maiden this plane tomorrow, but I don't know if this affects the motor running at all, so I want to be safe and get your imput on the situation.

Thanks,

Mav-Rick
Old 02-09-2008, 07:40 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Quick Muffler Question

When it gets hot it gets loose

You may have to warm it up to get it back in position.

Tighten it while hot
Old 02-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

....or, if it won't stay put....install a short, fat, pop rivet in the seam so it can't turn....

....end of problem.

FBD.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79230.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	874424  
Old 02-10-2008, 11:43 AM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just removing the end screw may not loosen it up. The assembly is held together by a long threaded screw that extends all the way through the muffler. So if you loosen the screw, then loosen the long screw (on the opposite end of the muffler from the exhaust stinger), it will turn. As W8YE says, tighten it up when hot.

Cheers,

Chip