Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Richer or Poorer,,, I mean leaner.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 06:13 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Richer or Poorer,,, I mean leaner.

When using 0% nitro fuel should I be more concerned or less about lean runs? I''m using Sig FIA 50/50 castor/Klotz 20% total lube . I would like to tune for best power but the feel and sound of it seems really lean to me. I realize it will lean in the air so I will always tune 200 rpms rich before the flight but will it be enough, or too much?[sm=confused.gif] Or am I just hearing things?
Old 04-15-2008, 06:39 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Richer or Poorer,,, I mean leaner.

It is harder to get the mixture set correctly with some zero nitro fuels. The fuel will need a combustion stabilizer like 5% acetone.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:56 PM
XJet
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: w8ye

It is harder to get the mixture set correctly with some zero nitro fuels. The fuel will need a combustion stabilizer like 5% acetone.
I''ve never had a problem using 0% nitro and never had to use any additives.

0% nitro will make the needle more sensitive but other than that there''s usually not a lot of difference (apart from a few hundred RPMs) between 0% and 10% nitro on the average 2-stroke engine.

However, some 4-strokes wont run worth a damn unless they''ve got a good dose of nitro and YS engines don''t like anything less than 20% (which is why I buy Saito ;-)

Old 04-15-2008, 10:49 PM
jeffie8696

Can''t afford a 4 stroke on my income. But if I save $6.00 gallon over 15% nitro eventually I will be able to. Actually my reason for trying the FAI fuel is engine life. I like my engines and want them to last a long long time. If I can get my Magnum .46 to run a good long time and get decent performance on my trainer then what the heck. I ain''t Nitro Phobic just want the right fuel for the right job.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:31 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696Actually my reason for trying the FAI fuel is engine life. I like my engines and want them to last a long long time. If I can get my Magnum .46 to run a good long time and get decent performance on my trainer then what the heck.
Well I''ve got a Thunder Tiger 46Pro here that''s done around 400 hours of running on fuel with 5% nitro and half those hours have been done using just 12% oil content.

Choose a good engine, treat it right and it will last almost forever the percentage of nitro doesn''t make anywhere near as much difference as the choice of oil and the way you treat your engine.

Castor is okay, Klotz... well it''s not the oil I use because there are much better alternatives (which is how I''m able to run just 12% and still get such a long life from my engines).

Old 04-16-2008, 12:05 PM
alfredbmor

Nitro fuels will have a cooler effect over those glow fuels with out nitro, so you will need to rich the HNV
Old 04-16-2008, 12:18 PM
caddy47
Banned

Nitromethane makes an engine run hotter. That''s why it''s used. It''s an oxidizer and causes more power which means more heat.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:41 PM
jeffie8696

I understand that higher nitro needs a richer mix, I have seen this many times with my 1/2A engines. My concern is in flight lean out , it it more or less critical with 0% nitro ? I would believe that it should be less critical since the heat is so much lower than with nitro fuels. Especially since I use high castor, high oil fuels. I am getting some good numbers with my FAI fuel that should drag my trainer around like pop can behind a semi.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:08 PM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
It''s not true that nitro makes an engine run hotter...it''s the opposite! Set correctly an engine run on some nitro is actually developing less heat.
How come!?? Because you can set the high speed needle more correctly , so the engine runs good and still do so running rich. An engine that is run on 0% nitro has to be set more lean to run as good and thus will run hotter.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:30 PM
jeffie8696

OK so my FAI fuel will make my engine wear out faster.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: caddy47

Nitromethane makes an engine run hotter. That's why it's used. It's an oxidizer and causes more power which means more heat.
Haven't you been down this road before? usna71....
Old 04-16-2008, 04:32 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

OK so my FAI fuel will make my engine wear out faster.
No, most engines will actually last longer (in my experience) when fed with FAI fuel.

The leaning-out issue is grossly overstated. So long as your engine and tank are set-up correctly you should not get any leaning out in-flight.

I flew for 30 years using just plain FAI fuel and I don't recall ever damaging or wearing out an engine, even when I was young and not quite as good at tuning engines as I should have been.

You're far more likely to end up with engine damage as a result of acid residues in fuel containing nitro rusting your bearings than you are from overheating from FAI fuel.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:44 PM
jeffie8696

Truth is I help on the pit crew for nitro burning Top Fuel dragster and we start it on alcohol then transition it to nitro. The sound is very distinctive and I think the FAI fuel will help the engine last much longer! It really begins to bark when the nitro comes on!![X(] Plugs don't last as long either!!