Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Gasolene use in Glow engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 08:22 PM
BOB MOORE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gasolene use in Glow engines

I recently got an Fox 1.20 twin from a buddys family( He Had Passaway) This engine is from the 70's. It has an C&H ignition . My question should I use more or less oil in this engine. I have run this engine and it really turns up. The fuel I have is for my Zenoah 23 and is 23% oil . I have used this fuel mixture for about 20 years BOB MOORE AMA 6559
Old 04-16-2008, 09:24 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Gasolene use in Glow engines

Bob, it is my understanding that this is a bushed connecting rod engine. If I am correct then 16:1 is the lowest I would go on the oil ratio. I am running my ST51 glow on gasoline/spark ignition and anything less than that on oil and the rod starts suffering. If it's a needle bearing rod then you can go out to 40 or 50:1 without trouble as long as you use a modern high quality oil such as Pennzoil Air Cooled two stroke (The only dino oil I would personally use) or one of the high quality synthetics such as Redline two cycle racing, Motul 800, BelRay, etc.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:15 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jezmo

Bob, it is my understanding that this is a bushed connecting rod engine. If I am correct then 16:1 is the lowest I would go on the oil ratio. I am running my ST51 glow on gasoline/spark ignition and anything less than that on oil and the rod starts suffering. If it's a needle bearing rod then you can go out to 40 or 50:1 without trouble as long as you use a modern high quality oil such as Pennzoil Air Cooled two stroke (The only dino oil I would personally use) or one of the high quality synthetics such as Redline two cycle racing, Motul 800, BelRay, etc.
Just out of curiosity, how do you know the rod starts suffering?

CR
Old 04-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: BOB MOORE

I recently got an Fox 1.20 twin from a buddys family( He Had Passaway) This engine is from the 70's. It has an C&H ignition . My question should I use more or less oil in this engine. I have run this engine and it really turns up. The fuel I have is for my Zenoah 23 and is 23% oil . I have used this fuel mixture for about 20 years BOB MOORE AMA 6559
Wow! That's a lot of oil. Or is 23% a typo?

CR
Old 04-17-2008, 11:28 AM
BOB MOORE

That should have read 23to one ratio > My old fingers sometimes to not follow what my brain means to say. BOB MOORE
And thanks for the reply .
Old 04-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Jezmo

Hi Charley,

I took it apart about every fifteen minutes of running and looked at the pin and bushing during the first 3 or 4 hours after conversion. After that initial run-time I have removed it and disassembled it about every 2 or 3 hrs of run time. During it's last ten hours or so I have only had it apart once but I have a good feel now for how much oil it needs to keep from eating itself. I spun one bushing trying to go 22:1 on the ratio (that didn't take long) and the max time I have put on it so far without breaking it is 30 hrs. I guess the short answer is "open it up and look at the rod to see of it is suffering".
Old 04-17-2008, 03:37 PM
BOB MOORE

Thanks for the info, I will keep a close check on the engine as I use it. A lot of people have trouble with Fox engines , but I have had good luck in past. I had a Fox .15 and a .45 that I ran for years. They worked good for me until they wore out. BOB
Old 04-17-2008, 04:27 PM
Jezmo

I know this does not apply to all Fox engines (certainly not the ringed ones) but most were designed for and needed an all castor oil based fuel. I ran Foxes for many years and had very good success with them. I still have some in my collection and they were all run on castor fuels. They are still usable engines however I don't run them any more and they are more reminders of all the years of fun I've had flying both control line and R/C. It's been a very good 45 years. I hope your twin treats you well. Good luck and happy flying.