Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

K&B .40 help

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 12:57 PM
MightyMaxx13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&B .40 help

I have a K&B .40 engine that I am going to use in my Kadet Mark 1. It has not been ran in over 10 years. Without any work, the engine still pops and has good compression. My question is, will this engine run? I have cleaned it with Nitro wash, and put some after run oil in it. Also what is the glow plug that goes with it. I see this one has an idle bar. Thanks.

Bob
Old 03-18-2002, 02:18 PM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default K&B .40 help

Hello!
The first thing you should do when checking out any old (and new) engine is whether or not it is possible to turn the engine over. Most engines that has laid unused a year or two will have bad ball bearings. This because of the oxidiation of castor oil (that gums up inside the engine and prevents the balls inside the bearing from from turning). If the engine has been run on syntetic oil then it shouldn´t be a problem.
Naturally bearings get worn even if syntetic oil are used so ceep a watchout for funny noises from the crankcase when you run the engine.
K/B engines run best with a little nitro in the fuel. 10-20% nitro is enough!
20% oil ,syntetic or castor or a mix both!
Glowplug: Forget about the old model idlebar plug ...the are something of the past!!
Use a OS 8 or a Enya 3-4glowplug or a Rossi 3-4 or a ...there are others of course...but not an idlebar plug!
You will have better throttle respons and power with one of the plugs I mentioned than using an idlebar plug!!
Do you have any kind of silencer??? If the K/B.40 is old enough it has a baffle in front of the exhaust opening instead of a silencer. This is no good as the lack of a silencer maskes it sound terrible and throttle respons is not as good as if the engine was equipped with a silencer.

Propeller....Use a APC 10x6 or a 11x5 or even a 11x6. A APC 12,25x3,75 could even be tried if you want your plane to fly really slow and have good vertical performance.

Regards!
Jan Karlsson
Sweden