Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

I Need Help Identifying This Antique Engine

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

I Need Help Identifying This Antique Engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 12:44 AM
rc_for_me
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Need Help Identifying This Antique Engine

Once again I am turning to the engine guru's here at the Universe.

A friend has an old, possibly mid 30's aircraft engine that we would like to identify.

We dont know much about the engine but have posted pictures that hopefully can be used to identify it. Here is what we do know:

It was obtained in Japan during the American Occupation right after World War II

It does not have a glo-plug, it has a spark plug that is insulated with layers of Mica vs the more common porcelain insulation.

The numbers "89-39" are engraved in the side of the crankcase.

It appears to be about .35 in size.

We were unable to identify it in the Anderson Blue Book.

Thanks to all in advance for their input.
Old 06-02-2003, 01:36 AM
CLBetten
My Feedback: (16)

Default Cool

Out of my league for sure. I give it a 9 on the "Cool Scale". I suggest you duplicate your thread in the Vintage Antique forum. I suspect some of the folks who linger in that forum don't check here often.

Thanks for showing something unique. Take care, Cliff
Old 06-02-2003, 01:44 AM
rc_for_me

Thanks for the tip Cliff, I will do that.

Glad you liked the engine. It is pretty unique, I just wish we knew what it was!
Old 06-03-2003, 12:16 AM
Azcat59

Very interesting, Jeff, and similar to my story: some years ago, an older club member came to me and said he would like to give me an engine he had "liberated" from a Japanese firing range during the early days of the occupation in August or September, 1945. The engine was attached to a profile fuselage, and attached with a pulley to a long "clothesline" set up. The engines would be started up, and as the fuselage would go streaking across on the line, the machine gun trainees would shoot at the moving target.

The engine he gave me had a Champion spark plug in it, and ignition points. It is of different construction than yours, with the upper half of the cylinder removeable, similar to some Fox motors. Rear intake, up high, ala O&R ignition engines of the mid forties. I would say it is close to being a 60, with a pretty long stroke. I have it mounted on a wood placque with the story taped to the bottom of it. An interesting relic for sure.

Clair Sieverling
AMA 15654
Old 06-03-2003, 02:41 AM
rc_for_me

Clair,
Thanks for taking the time to look at my friends engine and posting your reply. Your engine certainly has a story to tell also!

This engine belongs to a club member, friend, and flying buddy of mine. He collects old engines and stories to tell. Sometimes I'm not sure if he has more stories or engines! But it seems like every time I see him, he has a couple of both.

I see by your post that you are located in Phoenix as we are. Where do you fly?

We are both members of the AZ Model Cropdusters. You may have seen our field. It is located on the westside right next to the Loop 101 freeway at Thomas Rd. We fly Sat, Sun, & Wed mornings. It would be great if you could stop by sometime, have a fly, and swap stories.

Thanks again
Old 06-03-2003, 04:35 AM
Azcat59

Hi Jeff....I wondered where the "Surface of the Sun" was.....have heard about your field. I fly at (and was one of the founders of) the AMPS at 43 Ave. below Pinnacle Peak Road, usually on Sat. mornings. C'mon over some Saturday, and bring the engine--I'd love to see it!

Clair Sieverling
Old 06-03-2003, 12:44 PM
downunder-RCU

Well being Japanese it's almost certainly OS....I'm not sure when Enya started but I think it was a bit later than that. Go to http://www.osengines.com/history/ostimeline01.html and have a look at his early engines. There's certain similarities to yours, especially the way the side port venturi is set close to the exhaust.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just because it was obtained in Japan doesn't mean it was Japanese. You could buy model supplies through the PX in those days. Looks like one of the smaller Forsters to me.

http://www.mecoa.com/museum/cadus60/forstr29.jpg
Old 06-03-2003, 11:39 PM
Azcat59

No, Sport Pilot, you couldn't buy engines through the PX when this fellow gave me the one I have......he was one of the first men on shore.

Mine has Japanese writing on the backplate.

I served 20 months in Japan (1955-56) and did in fact buy Enyas, OS, and Fox engines in the base craft shop, and had an off-duty job in said craft shop teaching modeling and photography. Made almost as much at that as I did as a GI in the infantry! And the engine I have was an ignition engine also, not glow.

And I had a Forster 29 rear intake, and Jeff's engine isn't a Forster.

Clair
Old 06-03-2003, 11:46 PM
Azcat59

Downunder, thanks for the OS site....checked my engine out against the pictures, and mine doesn't match, but comes the closest to a 1939 type 4, but still quite a few differences.

Interesting to gaze upon those early OS engines though!

Clair
Old 06-04-2003, 02:01 AM
downunder-RCU

I realise your engine doesn't match Azcat but going by the way the OS's were evolving I'd have put it somewhere between the Type 10 and Type 11 (the first of the front induction engines). The list of engines isn't complete either because I have two variations of the Max 11 .29's although only one is shown. That site is actually put up by Great Planes so I'm not surprised it's incomplete. Maybe you can find someone who reads Japanese to see what's on the backplate