Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

YS 60FR Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 02:10 AM
coloradoz
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS 60FR Problem

I'd like to remove the main drive washer - right now it is very stubborn - Ideally, I'd like to remove it without destroying it. Any hints out there as to how to go about this?

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2003, 12:01 PM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A puller.

These things get pretty tight. It takes a puller to remove it properly.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:12 PM
coloradoz

Default YS 60FR Problem

Thanks, but where do you get such a puller? There is no clearance between the hub and the body of the engine.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:14 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default YS 60FR Problem

I've used an automotive battery tereminal puller in the past with good results. Sometimes, a gentle tap on the end of the crank with a mallet while the engine is sitting, back plate down, on a work bench will lossen it as well.

John
Old 06-03-2003, 04:12 PM
coloradoz

Default YS 60FR Problem

Thanks, I used 2 chopsticks, a vise and a few raps with a small hammer - no scuffs - worked great. OK, now how do I remove the bearings?

My YS is really gummed up and this thing won't turn for nothing. I've got everything off the motor except the bearings, piston, crank, etc - and I'm giving it a 'crock' bath.
Old 06-03-2003, 04:34 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Default YS 60FR Problem

Heat the case in a toaster over set to about 500 degrees for between 15 and 30 minutes. The rear bearing will more than likely fall out and you will hear when that happens. Once that happens, it should take nothing more than turning the case nose down, with pliers, it's hot, and letting the front fall out.

Do this outside as the gelled oil will smoke and smell really bad. Also make sure you have removed everything else from the engine. You don't want to waste the diaphragm or plunger if they are still good since they are getting tough to find these days.

John
Old 06-03-2003, 05:18 PM
coloradoz

Default YS 60FR Problem

Thanks John - will do. In the process of taking this thing apart I did notice that my diaphram is trashed - do you know where I could pick one up?

...AJS
Old 06-03-2003, 05:35 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Default YS 60FR Problem

The first thing I would do is post a wanted ad here on RCU as well as every other RC message forum you can find. Once you have those posted, head over to NSRCA.org and see if you can post the same message there. There are bound to be parts sitting in some old pattern fliers garage somewhere. I have one diaphragm and plunger that I'm hoarding for future use in either my side or rear YS 60. I picked them up in an LHS's obsolete engine parts box, which, is another place to look. If a swap shop comes through near you, check it out. You never know what you'll turn up at a place like that.

Good luck.

John
Old 06-04-2003, 09:29 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default YS 60FR Problem

Hi!
The easiest way of removing ballbearings is to warm the case with a propane blow torch...it only takes seconds to heat the engine and a slight rap on a piece of wood....to have the rear bearing fall out.
As for spare parts ...YS is sold be Performance Specialties in Nevada...former world champ in Pylon Dave shadel is the owner.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 06-04-2003, 01:47 PM
coloradoz

Default YS 60FR Problem

OK, that worked - thanks!

I did try YSPerformance and they told me that they do not support the YS60 (so I guess we are all on our own with the spare parts - too bad because this is a great motor!).

Now how do I get the bearings back in? I take it that I have to heat up the case first and then find some welding gloves to try to get the bearing back in??
Old 06-04-2003, 02:36 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Default YS 60FR Problem

I personally slip the rear bearing onto the crank, then install it in the toaster oven heated case. Then, while wearing welding or similar gloves, drop the front bearing over the front of the crank and into the case. Gently place the engine on it's side until the case cools and shrinks back to normal size. There are other methods, but this is the one that works for me.

John