Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Break-in Saito 100 inverted

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 06:40 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Break-in Saito 100 inverted

Hi guys, is there any risk of hydro-lock and seizing if I were to break-in the Saito 100 mounted inverted in a UCD ?
Old 06-07-2003, 08:17 AM
Runway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've broken in two Saito 100s - both were run-in upright on the bench as per manufacturer's instructions prior to mounting. One was then mounted upright and the other mounted inverted on models.

The only time they hydro- locked was, sometimes, prior to starting when I had flooded them by overpriming - i.e inexperience with this particular brand.

Probably the best engines I have ever flown!

p.s. The bottom end on both needed a lot of leaning from the manufacturer's settings as they became properly run-in.

Hope this helps
Old 06-07-2003, 12:14 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Break-in Saito 100 inverted

Originally posted by rajul
Hi guys, is there any risk of hydro-lock and seizing if I were to break-in the Saito 100 mounted inverted in a UCD ?
Yes, there is a risk, but it doesn't matter if the engine is broken in or not or if it's a Saito 100 or anything else. If you install the tank properly, don't over choke the engine prior to starting it, and pull the prop through by hand to check for a hydro-lock before trying to start it, you will be fine.

John
Old 06-09-2003, 02:23 AM
mtthomps
My Feedback: (2)

I have gotten too much fuel in my cylinder on my Saito 100 inverted. It can easily be flushed by working the prop back and forth without bringing it through the compression stroke. It spits out the fuel through the muffler. Once no more spits out, the cylinder is usually cleared.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:43 AM
PigMan Buggerus
My Feedback: (6)

rajul,
Just leave the cowl off of your U-Can-Do, since the engine is inverted, you should be able to see if fuel is pouring into the carb or not. Just be careful. The only issue I see that you might have is a rough idle. Being that the engine comes from the factory with a very rich setting on the low end needle, your idle will be pretty crappy. Once you start to lean the low end needle, you can get a fairly reliable 2000 RPM idle inverted. It gets much better as the engine becomes more broken in. Good luck with your Saito, I know I love mine.