Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

running engines backwards?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 01:14 PM
vtol_guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running engines backwards?

hi everyone,

just wondering if it is possible to run engines in an opposite direction to what they normally run (anti-clockwise when view from front)

The engines i have are MDS pro .38, both 2 strokes

Providing i got a reversed rotation prop, then could i run a glow engine in reverse with the same power output ect as it would do when rotating anti clockwise (viewed from front)

if not then does anyone out there know if any engines, 2 strokes that will do this?

thanks,
Old 06-07-2003, 02:13 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It all depends upon the design of the intake.

1- reed valve engines run equally well in either direction

2- so do sideport (piston ported) induction engines, like a lot of the larger gasoline engines, and also many of the 30's, 40's era ignition engines.

3- rear rotor induction engines and front crankshaft rotory induction engines are not that simple. The intake timing is not "centred" on the piston TDC so the engine run well in the proper direction but barely or very poorly in the other.

Some rear rotor engines can be made to run in reverse by rototing the backplate/intake 90 degrees and/or changing the pin position (super tigre engines for instance had two slots in which to put the pin)

Front rotary intake engines (like your MDS) can be made to run in the reverse direction ONLY with the replacement of the crankshaft, which has the inlet port cut for reverse rotation timing. Many older engines had these available by special order but not too many if any do today. UNless you have a lathe and the skills to make your own crankshaft (basically a mirror image of the one in there now) you are out of luck...

AJC
Old 06-07-2003, 02:18 PM
downunder-RCU

A normal 2 stroke won't run backwards (except for the odd time they're flooded and then only at about idle revs). Some engines have an optional reverse rotation crankshaft but that's very rare. The only 2 strokes that can be made to run in reverse easily are those where the front end is screwed on instead of being one piece. Then it's simply a matter of turning the front 90 degrees to the right so the carb is then on the exhaust side.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:35 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The MDS are one piece cast crankcases.

That technique (rotating the front of the case 90 degrees) is the same idea as I stated for the rear rotor induction engines. Most modern engines are once piece cases however so you are out of luck...

AJC
Old 06-07-2003, 05:04 PM
vtol_guy

oh well thanks for telling me all about 'em

anyone know where i can buy gearboxes for engines?

i may as well reverse the rotation direction that way as it will be easier
Old 06-07-2003, 05:45 PM
idoxlr8-RCU
My Feedback: (17)

Trade your MDS 38's for two Fox 40's. Then get a reverse crank from Fox. They make them for most of their engines.