Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

O.S. 52 4/C Running problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 12:18 AM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default O.S. 52 4/C Running problems

Hello- I have an O.S. 52 thats never ran right. I have the engine side mounted with a 2 line fuel system -pressure and fuel. Initially it started right up but never seemed to hold the high speed setting after the initial breaking in process. In flight with the throttle opened the engine would Begin hesitating . I tried a richer fuel mixture and tried agjusting the low speed idle screw making things worst....... so I returned the low speed screw to the factory setting Per. instructions. A few minutes into the flight (or less) the 52 4/C would Begin to hesitate hesitating sounding as if it was speeding up then slowing down. After the dead stick landings the cylinder usually seemed too hot I'm running Omega 15% 4C fuel and a Master air screw 11-6 -----In desperation I tried adjusting the valves per instructions but there was little improve ment. The engine "seems" starved for fuel and my tank though mounted in Dubro foam is non exactly on the center line and beginning to sound real dumb here: the engine is so close to the fire wall that there is a sharp bend as the fuel line exits the firewall which it is (very close to,) and connects to the fuel inlet to the carb. The plane is built from RCM plans and is the Stinson SM-2 I have a shot of it in the readers gallery for Model Airplane News. I'm also running the 1204/C W/ pump the fuel tank sits at about the same hight as the carb. and all the fuel lines are run 'straight' to the 120 SurpassIIIW/pump mounted in a P-47 and runs terrific. Last I do have a warranty but wonder if Great Planes test runs their repairs??