OS 1.60FX: Which Perry Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 06:20 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 1.60FX: Which Perry Pump?

Originally posted by mkirsch
Nooooo! Why do my threads always get hijacked???
This isn't a hijack - we're just liberating the information, brother.

Can you dig it?

Old 06-20-2003, 09:53 PM
Azcat59

In fact, Perry oughta copyright all this good stuff!

Clair
Old 06-23-2003, 08:35 AM
Todd Robinson
My Feedback: (1)

Hey guys, i too am running an OS1.6 that the midrange just doesnt seem to run right. So, as per all the info, i bought a Perry VP30 pump to install. A few questions.
1. Can you still run the stock carb aor do you need to get a Perry
carb?
2. Why the OS1.40rx nipple? Will the supplied tap not work?
3. Can you only tap the upper left hand crancase bolt out (the one that the remote needle is attached to) or can it be any one of them?
4. If you must tap the upper left crankcase bolt will the pressure tap hold the remote needle valve on or not.
5. Finally, will the engine performance be that much better or will the pump just provide reliability.
6. OK I lied, last one, Perry claims that with this pump I will have better fuel economy. True or not?

I sure would appreciate any info regarding these questions. Thank You.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:35 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Originally posted by Todd Robinson
1. Can you still run the stock carb aor do you need to get a Perry
carb?
2. Why the OS1.40rx nipple? Will the supplied tap not work?
3. Can you only tap the upper left hand crancase bolt out (the one that the remote needle is attached to) or can it be any one of them?
4. If you must tap the upper left crankcase bolt will the pressure tap hold the remote needle valve on or not.
5. Finally, will the engine performance be that much better or will the pump just provide reliability.
6. OK I lied, last one, Perry claims that with this pump I will have better fuel economy. True or not?
I'll tackle these in order.

1. Stock carb.
2. Because its a safe and easy solution. The supplied pressure nipple can be used, but be sure to machine/grind the backside of it completely flush wih the surface of the backplate. If the connecting rod gets hung up on the hole, Very Bad Things will happen.
3. From looking inside the engine I believe you can tap any one of the bolt holes.
4. I don't think it will seal properly. That's why I mounted my needle on the firewall.
5. Reliability AFAIK.
6. Logically - yes. (higher fuel pressure == you run your needles leaner than you would otherwise.) I can't say for certain, as I haven't completed my Giles yet.

I've remounted my pump as per arniebarn's suggestion. Its now on the firewall, oriented horizontally, and is at the same level as the carb. I've shortened all the lines accordingly. I also switched the silicone pressure line I was using for some of Aerotrend's 'EasyFlex' gas/glow line - this stuff isn't as soft as the silicone line, and should help the pump's efficiency.

I took a couple of pictures, but haven't dumped them onto my machine for posting yet. Will post them later.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:05 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

I was able to put the needle back in the stock position. The 1.40's pressure nipple had plenty of thread into the crankcase even with the needle valve bracket in place.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:30 PM
crossup
My Feedback: (1)

Default Tap

FWIW, being a hard head I put the tap in the back plate boss. Use a 7x1 mm tap(perfect fit) and a custom adapter threaded to match that and tapped for an 8-32 pressure tap fitting. Works great and can be capped off with a 8-32 screw if you dont want to use it. I liked the idea of using a removable engine part vs the slight risk of breaking a
drill bit in the crankcase...
Got my 7mm tap and die at TrueValue Hardware...
Old 09-01-2003, 01:34 PM
rvd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running the VP-20 on my 1.60fx and it works fine. Never had a problem with it, no deadsticks, never have to adjust the highspeed needle at all no matter what the weather conditions are like.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:45 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

The advantage of the Cline over the Perry is that there is no possible flow without demand from the carb. I will be trying a Perry pump for smoke soon.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:40 AM
h82crash

I posted on the tach thread but, been getting 10-11 flights per gallon on 15% nitro. Went to 0% nitro/12% oil blend and getting 8700 rpm static on the Mejzlik 18x8 on the Perry VP30. Just got 14 flights from my last gallon. This 160 is a great motor!

The FI fitting should go in the upper left hole, you will notice a boss cast in the case near that hole. You only need to penetrate the boss into the case with a 1/16" drill. Very little risk of damage to your case. Can be done with a hand driven pin vise drill.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:16 PM
LUDS96
My Feedback: (23)

Default RE: OS 1.60FX: Which Perry Pump?

OS 1.60FX In Giles 202 Great Planes. I had to do some studying to get this one right!
I drilled the case using the 140 pressure tap as a drill guide. I mounted the V30 pump on the firewall about center line with the engine. I mounted the needle valve next to it. I ran the engine for a good half hour seemed ok! I flew it it kept burning glow plugs. Lean? I think so. I remove the cowl and screwed in the adjustment on the pump. Much better top end lousy idle! Now OS says the low end needle is pre set at the factory? I trusted them for awhile but to rich on the bottom end. I drilled a small hole in my cowl so I could adjust it with the engine running, cowl on. I had to turn it in a ful turn then it started to lean out on the bottom end! I kept adjusting till the engine smothed out at low speed! Top end adjusted till it started to starve then I richened it up a little! Ran smooth top to bottom good throttle response. Took a flight ran good! that was my afternoon!
I think the pump was pushing to much fuel for the stock needle seting on the bottom end! New Years Day I'll ge to enjoy this Plane for the first time!