Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

muffler for os 40la

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 02:07 AM
harleymon2002
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default muffler for os 40la

i just got into hobby and am flying avistar with os .40LA. would like more performance - maybe high perf muffler ? any recommendations on muffler manufacturers and model numbers ??? thanks
Old 07-12-2003, 04:58 AM
crazyintheair

The O.S. la engine series in my opinion are the best engines for a beginner. But if you want more performance get a O.S. fx, while your at it spend the five extra dollars and get a .46 fx. They are the greatest .40 sized engines on the shelf. As for trying to beef up a la I have never really tried to put the effort into a engine with bushings. But I guess anything is possible. But really if money allows get a fx.
Old 07-12-2003, 08:57 AM
RaceCity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the .40 LA is a pretty good entry level motor as well, but it's probably not going to deliver much more performance than what you're getting now.

"Bushing or BB" in and of itself has little to do with the performance of the engine, while port timing, etc has EVERYTHING to do with performance.

It's just that today, bushings tend to be used on entry level engines, and not the higher-performing models. The benefit of a bushing engine is the virtually "zero" maintenenance required.

This ease of use is one reason they're ideal for a beginner.

Higher performance? Buy a more performance oriented engine. Still...if you're new to r/c...your money/time/effort is better directed at mastering your basic flying skills (all of which can be done quite well with the LA engine) ....save the "vertical" crap for some other time.

My $.02

'Race
Old 07-12-2003, 09:50 AM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OS.40LA

Harleymon2002,

You can buy, or make a mousse can pipe for it, which will make this LA outperform an FX, by a large margin.

Search RCU for threads, where you can find links to sites that can instruct you, as to how to make, or where to buy.

You will still come to a much lower price than an FX.
Old 07-12-2003, 07:37 PM
Ernie Misner

Hi Dar,

Wow, that is extremely interesting that an LA will come to life with a mousse can setup! I guess I have just never seen this done, and wouldn't have thought of it myself..... thinking that the LA port timing would have been too mild to take advantage of any scavenging effect from a tuned pipe.

Are you thinking that an LA 46 with mousse can would simply have a better power to weight ratio than the FX?.... or actually put out more ponies?

Is it still too hot to fly during the day in Israel?

Ernie
Old 07-13-2003, 08:04 AM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mousse cans

Hi Ernie,

I found the thread.
It was you who sent the info:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...ght=mousse+can

This engine isn't ported to get the greatest gain with a tuned muffler system, but a significant gain is realized and with this gain, the LA outperforms the FX.

In Israel, if you get to the field at 7-8 AM, there is very little wind and the sun isn't yet burning hot. This changes at about 9-10 AM.

The bad part is the humidity. It can be so bad that before it feels really hot, the shirt sticks to your back.

Yesterday was a good flying day..
Old 07-13-2003, 02:24 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Buy a Macs header that fits the 40LA. Get a mousse can that measures 1.75" diameter by 6.5" long. And get a few inches of 1/4" inside diameter tubing (aluminum, brass, copper, etc.) You'll also need a package of JB Weld epoxy (not the 5 minute JB Weld).

Build the MCP according to Bob Adkins' instructions at:
http://webpages.charter.net/rcfu/ConstGuide/MCM.html

For an Avistar, use an APC 10x5 prop on your 40LA w/MCP and prepare to be amazed!
Old 07-13-2003, 09:36 PM
Ernie Misner

Hi Dar and Dave,

yep, I submitted the mousse can info sites but danged if'n I have ever seen one on the LA. Sounds stranger than fiction..... wish I still had my natural colored LA 40..... Cinda keeps saving all of her empty mousse cans for me.....:-)

Ernie