Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Moki Engines Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 07:30 PM
^Horatio>

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moki Engines Thread

Lets talk about Moki engines here. Never mind what size. Had another great experience with your Moki 1.80? Shout about it here! Had another problem with your fuel draw issues? Explain how to fix it! I've run searches looking for information on my Moki 1.35 and it seems there's no dedicated Moki thread.

There is now!

I know that loads of Aerobatic champions use Moki engines. Maybe some of them would be kind enough to share their experiences here, good, bad or ugly! And club fliers looking for Moki help, tips or advice can get all the information they need - all from one place.

In time, hopefully this thread will become the Moki consumer info resource of choice!
Old 08-27-2010, 07:49 PM
^Horatio>

Default RE: Moki Engines Thread

Thought I'd kick off with my Moki 135. I live in the UK, so bought mine from just engines. I followed the instructions to the letter and mounted it in a Funtana 90. The engine was run-in slowly over the course of a full weekend - then I hit the flying field. The combination of dependable tick-over and massive power resulted in an awesome thrust to weight ratio, so the Funtana was limited only by the boundaries of my piloting skills. I clocked a few hours flying time with it over the course of the summer. Sadly, as is often the case, work commitments and other time constraints meant that the Funtana was moth-balled for over a year. Gutted. Just as it was starting to get really good.

When I eventually got the Funtana out of storage, the Moki 135 clearly wasn't right. I really couldn't figure out why - I'd drained the tank, kept it dry, used after run oil, maintained a constant temp. Every time I started the engine, it would simply refuse to run at anything higher than a fast tick-over. Opening the throttle just made the engine stall.

Both internally and externally, the engine looked as good as new.

I looked at the tank and fuel lines. Nothing was obviously wrong, but I decided to change all the silicon fuel tubing with fresh lines and run with a 3 line setup. I've always used 1/8th " tubing for my Moki, so that shouldn't have been an issue, however, I had noticed that the copper fuel pipes supplied with the Funtana fuel tank are really designed for use with smaller 3/32 " fuel tube. So safety wire should be used to ensure a sound fit. As the tank was being converted from 2 lines to 3, I changed all the metal pipes at the same time. The soft metal pipe I used was described as 1/8th ", and seemed slightly thicker than the Hangar 9 stuff. I fitted a clunk to the fill line and a ceramic filter clunk to the main fuel line. So far so good.

Got the engine re-fitted to the plane and tried again. Disappointment! The engine still doesn't run correctly and further more, adjusting the carb seems to make no effect. Time to look at the carb.

Now this is where I made some rapid progress. The carb was actually fairly clean, but because the Moki design is so precise, I noticed that a very small amount of Castor 'gum' had the rotary low speed adjustment dial sticking to the rotary slide. Needless to say, this was easily remedied by de-greasing and the carb was re-assembled.

Fitting the carb back onto the engine, I noticed another slight issue. The rubber o-ring that seals the carb to the intake on the engine didn't actually appear to be snug. Sure, there was no gap as such but the o-ring definitely wasn't being squeezed between the carb and the intake. The carb body, where it passes inside the intake of engine, appeared to meet something solid and come to rest BEFORE the o-ring has a proper sealing action. I fitted a second o-ring and re-fitted the carb. Bingo! A nice, snug seal is achieved.

Now, when I started the engine - HEY PRESTO! It works. From cold, the engine does sometimes run in reverse before coughing and spinning back in the right direction. It's strange like that. It doesn't really matter which way you start the engine, the Moki decides which way it's going to run for the first couple of seconds! LOL. A word of advice: If your aircraft starts rolling backwards, remember not to try grabbing it through the prop!

Thereafter, and with careful tuning, the engine can be set to run like clockwork. It's amazing again - just like it was after I'd just finishing running it in the first time. It will tick over all day - yet respond instantly when you open the throttle.

The way this engines spools up a 17x8 prop is amazing. I can't wait to get back to the flying field again. I'll up some videos of it on the ground during the tune up, so you can see what I mean. In due course, I'll get some decent flying videos sorted. In the case of the Funtana S90, lots of people hailed the YS 120 FS as the engine of choice. The Moki 135 is the genuine 2 stroke alternative to that engine.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:28 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Horatio, what a great idea. Thanks. I had a 2.10 for a couple of years and loved it. I would buy one again should i have the need. I also have a .60 LS nib that i've never started. i would love to hear how this engine performs.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:06 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

H-man, I just sold this MOKI .51 RC and still have a .61 LongStroke, 23mm bore and 24mm stroke. They are fine engine. I never had one of the big ones.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86452.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	1491375  
Old 08-28-2010, 08:46 AM
^Horatio>

I can only imagine what the 2.10 must be like. What were you flying it in? I suppose the 61 must be nice and potent for 50-60" span models?
Old 08-28-2010, 08:47 AM
^Horatio>

That's a nice clean looking engine. That would go nice in my 55" Cessna! How old was it when you sold it? And what did you fly it in?
Old 08-28-2010, 09:06 AM
^Horatio>

OK, I'm going to post some pictures. Here are the installation pictures, before I first had problems.

Name:	Zx71017.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1491406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20666.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1491407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96005.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	1491408  
Old 08-28-2010, 11:46 AM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you know anything about the moki 1.20?
Old 08-28-2010, 12:07 PM
^Horatio>

Not much, but it's my understanding that it's very similar to the Moki 135, just with a different bore/piston.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:14 AM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The large Mokis (120-210) are fine "European" style engines. Their high compression mandates low nitro and their long induction timing spits a lot of fuel. Adding a head gasket and using 15% nitro will make the needle and tank size/location noticeably less critical while adding power. Propping for higher rpm will also unleash some power and help with fuel draw. Good muffler pressure, plenty of rpm, and a small well placed tank are the keys to reliability.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:41 AM
^Horatio>

The high compression ratio is very noticeable when starting! I've seen people starting 1.20 size O.S. engines using their finger and thumb to flick the spinner. You couldn't possibly do that on a similar size Moki.

To the best of my knowledge, Moki engines produce the best power to weight of any A/C engine - all done using straight methanol/castor fuel. I was fortunate enough to have spoken to Paul from Just Engines before I purchased mine (very sadly, he passed away about a month later). He advised that Model Technics Formula Irvine Sport 5 fuel could be safely used with the Moki 135 but reminded me that the 5% Nitro content would be tolerated, rather than enhance performance. The good thing is that this fuel is very easy to get hold of from just about any model shop.

Using straight fuel is a major bonus for obvious reasons. The main thing is that the oil content is 17-20%. If straight castor fuel mix cannot be obtained, 1/2 castor, 1/2 synthetic is acceptable. For normal sport applications, 1/4 castor 3/4 synthetic oil mixes are also permissible.

1.20 - 1.35 engines will typically reach 8000-9000rpms.

1.50 - 2.10 engines will typically reach 7500-8500rpms.

The crank on the Moki 1.20 and 1.35 are the same.

It's also worth noting that all but the twin Moki engines can be safely converted to Petrol.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:04 PM
^Horatio>

Here's the engine, with the carb related problems.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-IyyV0OKHg[/youtube]

And now afterwards with the low speed dial cleaned and an extra O-ring on the carb intake.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UarM_IRLBko[/youtube]

Old 08-30-2010, 08:32 PM
^Horatio>

I had a really good flying session at the flying site today. There were some tricky crosswinds, but the Moki really did well. It started without too much fuss and ran perfectly the whole afternoon. It sips the fuel from the tank and gave me at least 35minutes per tank, with fuel to spare.

I'll up some videos of the flying. The Moki/Funtana is a brilliant combination.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:10 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Horatio>
Very well done on explaining in very good detail about the Moki engines. I have a brand new Moki 1.35 that I think I am going to like. It appears to be very well made. I have been reading about these fine engines for some time now. I guess a gas version of the 1.35 & the 1.8 may be sold now from Just engines. Below are some of the photos I have.

I wish others will add to this...anyone else that can contribute to this Moki thread...please do so. Also thanksfor the very goodvideo. Capt,n<hr />

Name:	Jh15422.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	1492955   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44204.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	1492956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47792.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	1492957  
Old 08-31-2010, 12:48 PM
^Horatio>

Cheers Captinjohn!

It's difficult not to like the Moki 1.35, from the moment you open the box. It has a very solid feel about it and the parts have a 'machined from billet' look about them. Lovely! The only problems I've had with mine have been brought about by my putting it into storage. I can forgive it for having a little sulk!

It's interesting to see all the petrol versions - I wonder how they perform? I'm thinking about building (...ahem, 'slotting together') another Funtana, the X 100. My wife can 'have' the old one. She doesn't fly, but I'm sure she'll understand. I nearly bought a 74" Yak on ebay that had a Moki 1.80 included - had it not been for the 600mile round trip, I'd have pounced on it.

I'll post some more videos soon. I'm no 3D pilot (yet) but it's very easy to perform all the usual aerobatics with the Moki under the hood. The sound and response of the Moki deserves credit and I believe the engine is still a well kept secret. Videos help spread the word, undoubtedly.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:34 PM
captinjohn

<actinic:carterror prodref="249"></actinic:carterror>We have just received a very limited number of the original Moki 1.80 petrol engines made by the genuine Hungarian factory. Fans of the Moki engines will already know that this engine is Very easy to start and operate, it throttles like a glow engine, has very low vibration and is a nice compact size (low weight plus very slim).

We can supply a variety of exhausts to suit, the BCM mufflers for the 1.80 glow will fit and we can make our own J'EN inverted muffler where a nice slim profile is required.

Our own tests of this engine a few years ago resulted in an impressive 20lbs of thrust! Very good for 1200g weight plus ignition.

As with the entire Moki range, we have full stock of spare parts.

Each engine is bench tested before despatch so occasionally there may be a 24 hours delay from order to despatch

<hr />The above was a cut & paste from the Just Engines website. The Gas version appears to have needle bearings on the connecting rod! The Walbro type carb is a big plus too. If it works out...I will add more photos & data. With 20 Pounds ofthrust...it should pullgood! Capt,n<hr />

Name:	Qo40384.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	1493351  
Old 09-02-2010, 07:49 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: ^Horatio>

I can only imagine what the 2.10 must be like. What were you flying it in? I suppose the 61 must be nice and potent for 50-60'' span models?
I had my 2.10 in a great planes patty wagstaff extra 300. i bought it ready to fly but it was a great set up. the engine, once it's wet, starts on 1 -2 backflips. it is the best sounding 2 stroke i've ever heard and is tremendously powerful. it will take a 15 lb plane straight up with authority.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:45 PM
CurtD
My Feedback: (1)

I love my 210's. There easy to start, easy to tune, and extremely reliable. I run mine on Omega FAI with added (3 oz per gallon) castor.

The Pitts M12 was scratch built from my own plans about 7 years ago. It weighs in at about 15 lbs and flies like a dream.

The Stinger is a blast with the 210. Hovers at 1/3 throttle.

Name:	Wu62227.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1494157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64847.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	1494158  
Old 09-03-2010, 12:04 PM
^Horatio>

Nice! If I get around to building anything bigger, large Mokis look like the way to go. By all accounts, they're just like my 1.35 only bigger.[8D]
Old 09-03-2010, 12:08 PM
^Horatio>

Good job, like the builds you have there. Always fancied a bipe, but seem to be swayed at the last minute to low/mid wingers. One day though! Hovering on 1/3 - that's just showing off that is!
Old 09-03-2010, 12:39 PM
mk1spitfire

H9 Sundowner F1 80'', 13.5lbs, Moki 1.8 16x12 no nitro, 80/20, perry pump for smoke only.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15stDdjUuIQ[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZTLrzRzURs[/youtube]
Old 09-03-2010, 12:47 PM
^Horatio>

OK, here are some vids.

I like sport flying, I fly to relax. Some of you may lapse into a coma just watching these, so for those that do [sm=lol.gif] apologies in advance. I imagine some may just stumble across this page in search of what the reality of owning a Moki is really like. If that is the case, I reckon these videos will give a fair impression. Hopefully the pros can show us what these Mokis can really do!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdTATCYOzPs&NR=1[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op4G-ivP09o[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf-If7JmVk4[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMz64gMZElA[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip-NARxL9Kk[/youtube]
Old 09-03-2010, 12:57 PM
^Horatio>

Awesome videos. Love the onboard camera and smoke! Thanks for posting!
Old 09-04-2010, 03:39 PM
totius

The moki 180 is still my best engin ever it out performs the 210 in every way . I am in the process of changing my 210 over to electronic ignition and gas . what is the propsize most suited for the 210 in a 80" Katana . 18 x 10 is the best suited on the 180 .

Se the plane in my avatar fly with 210 moki
Old 09-10-2010, 02:44 PM
captinjohn

totius
I was wondering what your favorite fuel & nito content is for the Moki 1.80. Also what lube & % of it. Thanks Capt,n

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.