RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Club FOX! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/3354294-club-fox.html)

jeffie8696 10-19-2007 08:44 PM

RE: Club FOX!

Thanks for the info. My .25 is only a bushing engine but it is in like new condition and I hope to use it someday in a scale warbird. It would be nice to compare the output with different props since I just procured quite a nice variety. Unfortunately I do not have a tach but what about a scale? I could tie the plane down and measure the thrust with different props.

Hobbsy 10-20-2007 06:51 AM

An idle bar or the lack of it will never make any difference in the rpm of an engine, the only time there'll be a difference is if the two plugs are of a different heat range. I have tried this numerous times and there is no difference.

NM2K 10-20-2007 12:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

An idle bar or the lack of it will never make any difference in the rpm of an engine, the only time there'll be a difference is if the two plugs are of a different heat range. I have tried this numerous times and there is no difference.

----------------

I think that you will find that you are in the minority on this one, Dave. Most folks notice a drop in peak rpm using an idle bar when the plugs are in the same heat range. But that is why there are horse races and politics. Darn! I said that awful word again. Gotta go wash my mouth out with soap - catch ya later. <G>

Ed Cregger

DRonland 11-02-2007 05:48 PM

Oil Mixing that's fun stuff
love the Fox,
thanks Duke, I know your listening from above!

Here are a few pics of a couple I have:

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/galleryItem.cfm?itemID=117520&dummy=3741.863820607 6907&opener=/community/profile.cfm%3Fsection%3Dgallery%26memid%3D224806]Fox .35[/link] This is by far the best .35 I have had yet - This has been balanced...smooth!

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/galleryItem.cfm?itemID=117362&dummy=1123.448810187 556&opener=/community/profile.cfm%3Fsection%3Dgallery%26memid%3D224806]Fox Eagle 1 .60[/link] What A Screamer!!!!!!! I have the original receipt $39.95 new, with shipping came to $42.00

Oh, remember to keep the Fox's clean...once a year is about perfect.

Dave

nitrofevr 11-06-2007 11:30 AM

hey guys i need a little help. i have came acrossed a brand new free fox eagle 75 and was thinking about a hanger 9 tango for it.....it will be about 6 pounds but i plan on flying it on floats as well....i like to over power things too. i am also at about 6000 feet elivation too so everything glow is de-rated by alot....i would like to get a really good hover out of this plane. i also would like to know what prop i sould use. If anyone could reply i would be thankful

Sport_Pilot 11-06-2007 04:27 PM

Sport Pilot mentioned in another post, after I described how my Eagle was, that none of the ones he flew behaved like mine.
I can't remember what you said about how yours ran? Mine is actually one of those Tower versions which were sold near the end of its production. Early 80's. Got a better job and learned how to fly a real airplane, after over 400 hrs wife and kids made that too expensive. The Fox sat in a box for15 years. I got back into the hobby in the late 90s and ran it for the first time. Had a hard time setting up the Perry carb that came with it. But it flew a Big Stick well enough,lots of power, just had a tendency to quit at idle; but the Big Stick is easy to dead stick. Later I bought a used Fox .50 with a spare carb. With that carb I could set the engine up perfect on the bench, unlike with the Perry. I think it liked to rev a bit, but not a screamer, slightly more power than a K&B .60 but heavier.

kamakazi 11-06-2007 04:59 PM

Has anyone ever had one of Duke's twin 60's. They were horizontally opposed and had 2 carbs with linkage. I was at his factory when he had introduced them about a month before. They looked great and he claimed they had phonemonial power, but everything Duke made had "phenominial" power hahaha.I never saw one started up so was just wondering if anyone has.

dammitman 11-07-2007 10:15 AM

I have a few of those twins. the one i have actually used i had mounted on a greatplanes big stick 60. it was a bit of overkill but it looked pretty cool on the front of that thing. i had to mount the servos at the rear of the plane to get the balance. it was a real powerhouse. i tuned the carbs by mounting them on a single cylinder 60 engine and tuning them then remounting them on the twin. they needed almost no more adjustment by doing that. it would idle real well and transitioned nicely.

arukum17 11-16-2007 12:33 AM

would you put a Fox .15 on a 50oz 3m woodie sailplane (Paragon)?

sigflyer 11-18-2007 11:47 PM

Who now sells the complete line of Fox engines with the best pricing?.....Johnny

50+AirYears 11-19-2007 09:28 AM

Arukum, back about 1966, a buddy traded an OS .30 and $5.00 to me for one of my Fox baffle .15 RC engines. He put it on an 84" Graupner sailplane that weighed about 2 kg (4.4 lbs, 70 ozs). Flew it on partial power. 8-4 prop.

Still have that Max. Still feel he got the best of the deal.

A lot of that weight was in the radio. He was using a Grundig radio. I don't know how much that radio weighed, but the radio used a plug-in tone filter for each control, rudder, trimmable elevator, throttle, and spoilers. This was in the very early days of proportional radio, when some radios still used tubes, and even the solid state radios had discrete transistors, and no chips. It was a very good flyer!

Sport_Pilot 11-19-2007 12:17 PM

ORIGINAL: sigflyer

Who now sells the complete line of Fox engines with the best pricing?.....Johnny

Not sure if they have the best pricing, but try www.brodak.com.

50+AirYears 11-19-2007 01:54 PM

If you have engines you would be willing to trade off, Fox either has or did have a price reduction deal, similar to what Mecoa has.

Just by browsing the Brodak site, I think they seem to charge full factory list.

There don't seem to be many places handling Fox engines any more.

jeffie8696 11-20-2007 01:08 AM

I started my vintage but New Fox .25 the other day. Even with a factory muffler this thing is loud. Runs good though. Can't wait to put my new carb on it.

fmichaelb 11-20-2007 04:37 AM

Oh look, ceramic lined cylinders on the C/L 60 and 35. Supposed to give 20% increase in RPM and less wear. I think they just put this on their home page yesterday.

martenson 11-20-2007 05:56 AM

How about mounting a Fox I 60 inverted in a Kwik Fli, would that cause a problem??

Thanks

quepasa 11-20-2007 10:10 AM

Martonson, I have 2, Eagle I's and both were invrted at one time or another with no problems. As with any engine, fuel tank height in relation to the carbs spraybar is what is critical.

Far as a .15 in a 3 meter sailplane goes, YES it would do fine I'd think. I had a Graupner "Dandy" (2 meter) with an OS .10 that flew it great! (1977) Recently I installed a .10 on the nose of a HOB 2X4 and its WAY too fast but at 1/2 throttle or less its ok.
I have a vintage kit of a 102" Robbe "Baron" (French Breguette 902) that calls for a .15-.19 glow engine. Hope this helps!

Edit; Unless something has changed, Fox Mfg. will send you a "factory dirrect" price list if you ask. It puts Fox engine prices in the ball-park with other brands.

Hobbsy 11-20-2007 10:24 AM

Q, they also have a generous trade in policy, I'm going to send them a K&B .65 that is shot, for a new Fox .15 to convert to Diesel.

AMB 11-20-2007 10:36 AM

Great ideal will have to go the "junk box" at the local HS of engines if I can find an intact one for $10-$15
worth the deal martin

carddfann 11-20-2007 12:13 PM

Fox still has their trade in policy and will give you half off the list price. If you go to their website and look under Repair, they explain it there.

Also, they do give a generous discount when you buy direct from them. Call them and ask for their direct pricing. What you see on their screen is retail price and I wish they wouldn't do that. Seems like it would hurt rather than help them (ie. scares off potential customers). I sent them an email and they mailed me (US Mail) their xeroxed catalog and direct price list for everything. Their catalog mentioned the forthcoming of their new ceramic lined engines.

kamakazi 11-20-2007 12:24 PM

I just talked to the Fox people on Monday , 11-19-07, I was inquiring about a new BB .40 R/C engine. The standard BB R/C fox is 142.95 minus 40% which figures out to 85.77. I had one rebuit for 60.00 and it revved up 13,000, that was screaming too. So a rebuilt wouldn't save you much unless you live close enough to drive there which is what i did, living only 25 miles from Fox. The rep i spoke to told me the price was going to increase on the .40, so if I wanted one at that price to get it before Jan 1.

Sport_Pilot 11-20-2007 05:42 PM

Just by browsing the Brodak site, I think they seem to charge full factory list.
A Fox .25 RC for $60, Fox Eagle .74 for $145, Thats way lot less than Fox about 40% less I would guess.

http://www.brodak.com/shop.php?pageN...CategoryID=206

badger5964 11-20-2007 08:00 PM

What is interesting on the brodak site is the selection. They are selling a fox quickee 500, and ABC 74 and pipe timed 60? The fox website does not even list these items. I do know that fox made them all several years ago but they all fell out of production.

Interesting

Hobbsy 11-20-2007 10:51 PM

A few months ago Sheldon's in California still listed some Pipe Timed .60s.

stg61abc 11-21-2007 02:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hi guys, some pics from my Foxes, a .35 stunt series 78 and a stunt .19
cheers