Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Fleet Brotherhood

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Jaybird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fleet Brotherhood

My limited experience with Coverite is that it just doesn't tighten up like other covering, including Solartex. The Fleet that I bought complete is covered in Coverite that seems rather spongy and it never really gets tight and sags over time. Too much heat and the seams pull away. My Solartex covered planes don't sag and seams stay put. Hopefully someone has some recommendations as I have a couple rolls of it too, but have been hesitant to use it no knowing how well it would work.

Jaybird
Old 09-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Fleet

Well, stay tuned.   If I don't like what I see on the ailerons after a few coats of buty, the coverite may get removed and back to Koverall.   Supose I should order up more Randophs.

Thanks for the response.

Ray W #7
Old 09-24-2012, 02:08 PM
retransit
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: Mein Duff

Bob,
The pic of the Fleet combing looks fairly simple... I think the ny-rod will work also.
I am presently doing the combing on my 1/4 SE5 biplane..had a hell of a time finding natural leather most of it seems to be colored with something.
Now I have to scrape it down somehow to get it thin enough to tuck under and have overlaps etc.
The leather I have is from Michaels, which is a craft store. It is available in different colors, widths and thicknesses. The product is "Soft Leather Trim Piece" #4036. Product website is www.tandyleatherfactory.com

Bob
Old 09-24-2012, 02:13 PM
retransit

"Now, I know they have mice in Florida."

We have rats too, human ones.

Bob
Old 09-24-2012, 02:16 PM
retransit

"I've some fresh Solartex in silver that may have to be employed but I'd really like to use up the old stuff.

Any ideas Brotherhood?
"

Make a tablecloth.
Seriously, if it will shrink very little, I think you're going to have to pass on it.

Bob
Old 09-24-2012, 02:22 PM
retransit

My first Fleet had fabric on it and I'm guessing it was Coverite. It was 30 years old. It sagged and felt like rubber. That is why I replaced all of it with Nelson Lite Fab, which is no longer available in the U.S. and looks very similar and has about the same properties as Solartex.

Bob
Old 09-24-2012, 02:37 PM
knucklebutt

Solar Tex Lite Fab same thing
Old 09-25-2012, 06:56 AM
Fleet

Some improvement this morning but a few sags were observed. Reheat, more dope, reheat and let dry. Seems, with this , I have less and less sag.

Interesting in that I covered the elevators, stab, fin, and rudder with the same roll with no problems with the ailerons. Not sure where it will all shake out but rest assured, the wings will get Sig Koverall and all the dope it will take to fill the weave. Might even be lighter than the silver solartex.

Pic of fuse is verticle (very big 1/3rd scaler) covered with Koverall. Thump it and it sings. Love it.

Ray W.

... well, it was supposed to be verticle.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:43 AM
Fleet

Seems I'm having some success.   3rd coat of Butyrate cut 50% with thinner and retarder is tightening things up.   I'm still gun shy and have begun to brush balsarite around the parimeter of the wing sections in prep for 3/4oz Koverall.  

Fuse getting painted up nice and rudder may get another coat of orange/yellow.  

As well, I'm going through the fittings I made for the Nstruts and flying wires giving them some locktite treatment.   Final sanding and measuring here and there and by evening, I can start laying down some fabric.

Ray W.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:17 PM
retransit

I'm on you tail, Ray.

I ran out of Pink-It tape so I had to place an order. He didn't have any natural Solartex because Bala USA was waiting for a shipment due in in the middle of October. I settled for white. It shouldn't be a problem.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48690.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	1805373  
Old 09-26-2012, 07:25 PM
retransit

I was going to cover the wings tomorrow but Thursdays we have our weekly afternoon cook-out and I have to check out a Headmaster's batteries before then. I'm giving it to a member's son so he can learn to fly.

Bob
Old 09-27-2012, 02:34 AM
Planejaw
My Feedback: (53)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: retransit

I'm on you tail, Ray.

I ran out of Pink-It tape so I had to place an order. He didn't have any natural Solartex because Bala USA was waiting for a shipment due in in the middle of October. I settled for white. It shouldn't be a problem.

Bob
Bob, have you tried to cut your own pinking tape? I used a fabric cutting wheel with a pinking blade. I've done a Cub and my Fleet this way, cutting strips of Solartex. You can cut tape to your heart's content in any width you would like.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:10 AM
Fleet

Tell me more on the cutting wheel John from Portage.   I can't see the price for the Pink it as for my 1/3 scale, I could buy up a bunch of new props for the same.  

I've given up looking for the paper medical tape and the "waterproof" is showing some propencity to come loose until lots of dope and buty color comes off from masking tape.  

I was going to just cut some strips from white coverite .60 inch wide and forego the pinked edge.   Sally's hair tape worked good, wasn't all that expensive, but women just don't use it much so it's getting more rare.   I was never sure of the scale pinked anyway.

Great rebuild Bob.   Nice work considering what you had to work with.

Ray W.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:11 AM
retransit

Ray, that's not a rebuild. I used the plans to cut a new kit. The only pieces that were salvaged were the ailerons, empennage, cowling, landing gear and a couple of hatches. Most needed some form of repair, but it was minor.

John - I looked around a bit for the pinking cutting wheel, but couldn't find it locally and I put it on the back burner. Again, what tool and wheel do you use? I probably can get it from Amazon.

Bob
Old 09-27-2012, 07:25 AM
Planejaw

ORIGINAL: Fleet

Tell me more on the cutting wheel John from Portage. I can't see the price for the Pink it as for my 1/3 scale, I could buy up a bunch of new props for the same.

I've given up looking for the paper medical tape and the ''waterproof'' is showing some propencity to come loose until lots of dope and buty color comes off from masking tape.

I was going to just cut some strips from white coverite .60 inch wide and forego the pinked edge. Sally's hair tape worked good, wasn't all that expensive, but women just don't use it much so it's getting more rare. I was never sure of the scale pinked anyway.

Great rebuild Bob. Nice work considering what you had to work with.

Ray W.

I'm using the Olfa Rotary Cutter RTY-2/G and the PIB45-1 9456 rotary pinking blade. The cutter comes with a straight cutting blade...you need to purchase the pinking blade. The handle/straight blade runs around $20. Not a bad investment. You can get it at any sewing store or even at a craft store that sells sewing items. Order on-line too. I always keep an extra blade and have only changed mine once. You can do an entire airplane with one rotary blade.

Use it against a metal straight-edge (3-footer) and hold the straight edge on the Solartex with a couple clamps, then run the cutting wheel held tight against the straight edge. Use a balsa building board or a sewing mat (my wife is a quilter). I cut the short dimensions of the role (26" I guess) and cut as many as I need, then just iron them on. Works like a charm.

Let me know if you need any further info Ray.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:41 AM
Fleet

Thanks John.... I'm out the door.

Ray W.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:31 AM
retransit

I'm online at Amazon.com

Bob
Old 09-27-2012, 08:47 AM
retransit

Hey John, how fine is the pinking?

By the way, Amazon has it for $13.88 and the Ergonomic model with the quick change blade feature is the same price.

Bob
Old 09-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Planejaw

Watch your finger's lad, they're sharp rotary blades and can give very nasty cuts...I would guess.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:00 AM
retransit

John, the pinked edges on the 1/4 scale Pink-It tape is spaced at 1/16" What is the Olfa cutter spacing?

Bob
Old 09-27-2012, 09:46 AM
Fleet

Since I don't need it for a week or so, I gave it off to the wifie who gets free shipping as she orders soooo much stuff there.

I've a rotary cutter I used on Tolex and vinyl coverings and was , indeed, quite sharp.   Mine was a fiskers with retractable blade but I'm not aware of a pinked edge blade.

Baked Ziti on tonight so looks like no work on the Fleet until much later.  

Ray W.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:16 AM
Planejaw

Peak to peak or trough to trough is about 9/32". That would equate to just a little over 1" at full scale.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:22 AM
retransit

I'm going to stick with the Pink-It. It is much closer to 1/4 scale. The pinking tape I used years ago on a full scale fabric wing was closer, in scale, to the 1/16" dimension.

Bob
Old 09-27-2012, 10:24 AM
retransit

"Baked Ziti on tonight so looks like no work on the Fleet until much later."

Good move!

Bob
Old 09-27-2012, 10:34 AM
Fleet

Hmm... I subbed zuccini for the eggplant.

Smells like an Italian resturant kitchen in here. Wifie was abit off that I nearly completely retired so I picked up the house chores and cooking. Helped round the hard edge if you know what I mean.

Even if the pinking is too large, I'll cut my own without that treatment. Since this will be stand 'WAY' off scale, who will know.

Ray W.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.