Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Lou Andrews aeromaster bipe ..Any info ??

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Lou Andrews aeromaster bipe ..Any info ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 09:59 AM
RonMcCormick
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lou Andrews aeromaster bipe ..Any info ??

ORIGINAL: radfordc

ORIGINAL: deanz406

Radford Well, consider yourself Very LUCKY- that could have been a disaster. Were ur wings bolt on, or rubber banded??.
They were bolted on with two bolts in the front and one in the rear. All three wood blocks pulled out cleanly. I installed dowels and rubber bands and flew it again today. The plane flys great but I need to install some wing struts....when I do a fast roll the bottom wing tip almost touches the top wing. That should be all this plane needs to be a steady flyer.
How many bands are you using and how are you putting them on, I was told to put the first two front to back and the next two crossed left to right and right to left corners. I had them on my first two planes (trainers) and never used them again. I'm such a pack rat that I still have bands from my last trainer ( mid 60's) LOL.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:48 AM
RonMcCormick
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: aeomaster32

''when I do a fast roll the bottom wing tip almost touches the top wing. That should be all this plane needs to be a steady flyer.''

Something is wrong there. My rubber banded wings, without struts are put through violent snap and Lomslovic type tumbles. They remain firmly in place. Adding unnecessary struts is compromising performance and safety of the aircraft for appearance. Not a trade I would make. Why add drag when it isn't needed. No full size designer would do such a thing. Struts were a necessary evil for them.
Anything bolted, like the landing gear, has no give and can rip the bottom right out of the fuselage. I have seen it happen.

Yeah, something wrong for sure....I put 10 #64 rubber bands on the wing and it was still doing it. I guess I could keep adding bands until the wing collapses...or add a couple of struts.
Sounds like a broken spar, its bending outboard of the fuse!
Old 03-15-2013, 02:04 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RonMcCormick

ORIGINAL: aeomaster32

''when I do a fast roll the bottom wing tip almost touches the top wing. That should be all this plane needs to be a steady flyer.''

Something is wrong there. My rubber banded wings, without struts are put through violent snap and Lomslovic type tumbles. They remain firmly in place. Adding unnecessary struts is compromising performance and safety of the aircraft for appearance. Not a trade I would make. Why add drag when it isn't needed. No full size designer would do such a thing. Struts were a necessary evil for them.
Anything bolted, like the landing gear, has no give and can rip the bottom right out of the fuselage. I have seen it happen.

Yeah, something wrong for sure....I put 10 #64 rubber bands on the wing and it was still doing it. I guess I could keep adding bands until the wing collapses...or add a couple of struts.
Sounds like a broken spar, its bending outboard of the fuse!
No it's not broken. You can see what's happening by pushing up on the bottom wing tip...the wing rocks in the center stretching the rubber bands. I got the struts installed today.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:39 PM
pd1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: PSBUN

Hi pd1 and HighPlains,

Thank you for the info, especially to build it light.

pd1, I have posted some more photos of the box that may help to work out when it was made. 1971 looks a good guess going by the box manufacturer on the bottom of the box. I will have a look at your build thread.

Thanks again

Peter

That's one from 1971.
I forgot the address was left off the end of the box because we were moving.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:41 AM
PSBUN

Hi pd1

Thanks for the info

Peter
Old 03-25-2013, 05:31 PM
nyflyboy86

Hey guys,
Today a co-worker of mine gave me his original built aeromaster from back in the 70's it has a .60 OS FSR I think he was calling it a schnerl? It says OS FSR on the engine so i figured that's what it was. Anyways the plane has not been in the air in 30 years, I am going to have to probably strip the plane of the covering and start from there, its in rough shape. My question is this plane seems like a brick when I picked it up it had to be 20lbs. I did not get a chance to weigh it but it was heavy. Is this the way they were build back then or did my co worker go overboard with some sheeting? Any way I want to rebuild it and get it airworthy seems like they are great planes. I have only flown electric but this seems like a good way to get my feet wet in the fuel line of rc. He also gave me a andrews trainer plane with a OS .25 in it. That plane has also not been in the air in 30 years. Will post some when I get the chance. Thanks for the advice in advance I am going to need some help when it comes time to get it back together.

Matt
Old 03-25-2013, 07:01 PM
aeomaster32

Mine weigh between 6 and 7 pounds. You may find lighter wheels, batteries and servos help. You really should try to get it under 10 lbs if you don't want to compromise performance. Lighter covering is one way, and stay away from heavy paint. I suggest you take the time to read the information in this thread, as there is too much to keep repeating it.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:15 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Calling PD1, calling PD1!

Hey Paul, question for ya. I've finally gotten around to restoring an Aeromaster (original version at least 40 years old) that I picked up a few years ago, and on the Cabane struts there is a wire on the front and rear soldered (near the top of the Cabanes) on that ties the Cabanes together. Is this part of the normal build or did the original builder add these for additional strength? Also, being the wing is held on with rubber bands, where is the wing suppose to positioned on the Cabanes as the wing can be slid around at least 3/4" fore or aft. This would (to me) have an effect on the CG when first balanced. I'm guessing that the L/E of the wing center section would be even with the front wire, if this is the original configuration. I don't have a set of plans and pics on the net aren't very clear. Thanks for you valuable input Paul!

FB

Last edited by Free Bird; 10-09-2013 at 03:34 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:56 AM
Constrictor
My Feedback: (46)

Funny a couple years ago I could not find one of
These kits for anything. Now I have 11 of them.
Hard times brings them out of stashes and up for
Sale!
Old 10-09-2013, 04:18 AM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FB,
Outerzone has plans for the 48" and 52" version for free download.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:21 AM
aeomaster32

This is what the mount should look like. Don't forget the thin X wires front and back. Some people leave them out, but they help brace the top wing flexing the cabane.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:37 AM
Free Bird

Thanks for the replies guys!!

Aeromaster32, thanks for the pic, that's exactly what I was looking for! The X-wires are in place and making it difficult to access that area of the fuselage. Now, does the L/E of the top wing line up with the front cross wire? It would make sense to do so. LMK. Thanks!

Mike, thanks for that reminder, I forgot about them!

FB
Old 10-09-2013, 04:39 AM
pd1

Originally Posted by Free Bird
Calling PD1, calling PD1!

Hey Paul, question for ya. I've finally gotten around to restoring an Aeromaster (original version at least 40 years old) that I picked up a few years ago, and on the Cabane struts there is a wire on the front and rear soldered (near the top of the Cabanes) on that ties the Cabanes together. Is this part of the normal build or did the original builder add these for additional strength? Also, being the wing is held on with rubber bands, where is the wing suppose to positioned on the Cabanes as the wing can be slid around at least 3/4" fore or aft. This would (to me) have an effect on the CG when first balanced. I'm guessing that the L/E of the wing center section would be even with the front wire, if this is the original configuration. I don't have a set of plans and pics on the net aren't very clear. Thanks for you valuable input Paul!

FB
The wire you mention is standard on the Andrews Aeromaster. The Great Planes Super Aeromaster is different.
Once the wing is on the cabanes the rubber bands keep it pretty well positioned in the same spot every time.
The wing should be positioned so the leading edge is just at those cross wires. If the leading edge is too far forward, then it would push on the hold down rubber bands.
Paul
Old 10-09-2013, 04:43 AM
aeomaster32

The back of the wing notch lines up with the rear wire. You should not have to worry about this because the construction of the cabane lines the wing up anyway, due to the rubber bands position being fixed
Old 10-09-2013, 04:56 AM
Free Bird

Aeromaster32, thanks for the response!

PD1, as mentioned, I have an original that was built 41 years ago! It's in outstanding shape for its age and deserves to be flown again, I even have a Blue Head ST 61 for it. The airframe really just needed to be stripped and refinished. Thanks for the wing info, it makes perfect sense. BTW - do you still have your P6E version that I saw at Octoberfest a few years ago?

FB
Old 10-09-2013, 11:04 AM
pd1

Aeromaster32, thanks for the response!

PD1, as mentioned, I have an original that was built 41 years ago! It's in outstanding shape for its age and deserves to be flown again, I even have a Blue Head ST 61 for it. The airframe really just needed to be stripped and refinished. Thanks for the wing info, it makes perfect sense. BTW - do you still have your P6E version that I saw at Octoberfest a few years ago?

FB
I have most of it, and it will fly again.
I built three Super Aeromasters for some of the guys in our club, now that that's done I will only be building for myself. I also have another kit on the shelf too, I'll be busy this winter.

Here's a couple of pictures of two that I didn't have to cover.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:45 AM
Free Bird

Nice builds as always Paul! I see that a couple of changes were made.

From your comment that you "still have most of it", I assume that you had an oops! Bummer! But at least you can rebuild.

FB
Old 10-10-2013, 04:10 AM
pd1

Nice builds as always Paul! I see that a couple of changes were made.

From your comment that you "still have most of it", I assume that you had an oops! Bummer! But at least you can rebuild.

FB
No big deal, I was doing some rolls, lower than I should have, and I passed between a stand of trees and myself.
The green and black on the fuselage blended with the color of the trees and the Aeromaster disappeared.
Two choices, up or down. I chose poorly.

Most of the work is recovering, and I like to recover, at least with silk.
The other two in the picture are Super Aeromasters, at least now I can compare differences in the two kits accurately.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Free Bird

Glad to know that repairs are in order.....

FB
Old 04-16-2014, 04:51 PM
Pistenbully101

ANYONE have the COG for the Aeromaster??? I have one from '72 with it's original OS FS60 that's gonna fly for the first time in well over 30 years this Fathers Day Thanks VERY much!!!!
Old 04-16-2014, 05:59 PM
Lloyd
My Feedback: (1)

Which wing configuration do you have, swept wings or straight wings or a combo?
The plans show 3 CGs measured from the LE of the top wing.
#1 = 5"
#2 = 5 1/4"
#3 = 5 5/8"

One of the configurations had unequal wing spans of upper a lower. And, the other two had same wing spans and the lower wing varied from straight to tapered.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:44 AM
pd1

Here is the fuselage plan with the CG.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Aeromaster-sideLR.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	1987652  
Old 04-18-2014, 05:23 AM
4dogspete

Default Great Planes Aeromaster CG

I have attached a JPG of the Great Planes Aeromaster FYI..........
Not tried this previously - hope it works
Pete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CG Settings.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	481.4 KB
ID:	1987938  
Old 04-23-2014, 10:06 AM
Pistenbully101

ANYONE know the COG, please?
Old 04-23-2014, 10:18 AM
Lloyd
My Feedback: (1)

Yes. It's the same as the CG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.