Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Lou Andrews aeromaster bipe ..Any info ??

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Lou Andrews aeromaster bipe ..Any info ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 05:33 PM
RonMcCormick
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pistenbully101
anyone know the cog, please?
see post #646
Old 07-04-2014, 11:31 AM
Jim Johns

I just finished reading through this entire wonderful thread. What great information and back story from pd1. Thought I'd post some scans of old photos of my Aamco Aeromaster Too from the late 70s. It had the long swept wings with 4 ailerons, all driven by one servo in the bottom wing, bolt on wings using the top mounting method stolen from the Sig Smith Miniplane kit and interplane struts. I modified the nose to fair into a 3" spinner. It was covered in red Super Coverite with Metallic Gold and Black Monokote trim, and had a Super Tigre X-60 Bluehead for power. It flew fine, but it met its end due to my lack of flying skills at the time. Note the hingeline gaps - this was before my pattern days and I didn't know any better at the time. I'm sure those contributed to its demise.

I have an Aamco Aeromaster Too kit sitting in storage awaiting it's place in the building lineup. I got it flea-bay two winters ago for $100. The kit is complete, but the top wing was started long ago so I'll definitely have to check all the glue joints and alignment. I'm flying SPA pattern now, so I might be able to get to the Aeromaster next winter depending on my competition building needs. Current plans are for short wings with 4 ailerons, and an OS FS-91 Surpass for power.

pd1 - I recently found plans for the Andrews X-Ray here - http://www.outerzone.co.uk/download_...an.asp?ID=3187. It looks like an easy to build, fun flying airplane, so I may have to scratch build one. Unfortunately, I can't find very much information about this plane anywhere on the net. Do you have any information on this one - especially when it was designed?

Thanks!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Aeromaster1.jpg
Views:	1303
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	2011620   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aeromaster2.jpg
Views:	861
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	2011621   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aeromaster3.jpg
Views:	800
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	2011622  

Last edited by Jim Johns; 07-04-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:34 PM
pd1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Jim.
Thanks Jim. I like the look of your Aeromaster.

The X-Ray was designed and kitted after I left Aamco. I built one a couple of years ago and gave another one to a club mate. I don't have any more information. Sorry about that.
There are two X -Rays at our field, one flying and one is being completed.

The X-ray is a nice flyer, it flies and handles about the same as the Trainermaster.
Since I like the looks of the Trainermaster a little better, I'll build another Trainermaster before another X-ray.
Just personal preference.

The last few years I've been modifying Aeromasters, a lot. A friend of mine put an OS 95 on his, yes I thought that was too much power, and he loves the way it flies. After flying his, I built him another one with a larger tail and it actually flies better for his type of flying.

With the larger engines, I do like the large wing over the short wing version.
Here is Dick with an Aeromonster, and two more almost done..

If you look closely at the top of the top wing, you can see the new hold downs. Nylon bolts installed from the top. All four are just 6/32s.

Name:	aero-on-table2.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	2011641   Click image for larger version

Name:	two-aeros2.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	2011642   Click image for larger version

Name:	aero-covered3.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	2011643  

Last edited by pd1; 07-04-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:45 PM
Oddie13

Great thread. I found it because I just got my Aeromaster Too kit. And I have a question about that kit. It was advertised as complete. But I have some doubts. There's a lot of wood of different species and sizes, some fat wire for the landing gear and cabanes(?) and thin music wire, decals, hinges, control horns(?), two turn buckles, a few screws and bolts, and three LARGE instruction sheets. Does anyone know if there's something else that should have been included in the NIB kit???

This build is on my Fall 2015 To-Do list. (If I can wait that long). This will be my first big build. I'm goin' electric.

Doug
Old 02-11-2015, 07:58 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We had a guy (at the old Pioneer club in Sunnyvale Ca) that usually carried his Aeromaster to the field in one piece. So he was kind of lax at changing the rubber bands. He lost the top wing several times, yet always got it on the ground after a hot landing.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:59 AM
RonMcCormick
My Feedback: (4)

Canopy?
Old 02-12-2015, 01:54 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddie13
Great thread. I found it because I just got my Aeromaster Too kit. And I have a question about that kit. It was advertised as complete. But I have some doubts. There's a lot of wood of different species and sizes, some fat wire for the landing gear and cabanes(?) and thin music wire, decals, hinges, control horns(?), two turn buckles, a few screws and bolts, and three LARGE instruction sheets. Does anyone know if there's something else that should have been included in the NIB kit???

This build is on my Fall 2015 To-Do list. (If I can wait that long). This will be my first big build. I'm goin' electric.

Doug
You'll find that the "fat" wire you have will need to have several pieces cut. The thin wire is for wrapping the fat wire when you make up the cabanes and landing gear. That forms the matrix that holds the solder when you solder the cabanes and landing gear together.

Read the instructions and go over the plans several times before you begin construction. Get familiar with all the pieces so that you'll know what goes where once you start the actual building. The Aeromaster isn't a difficult kit to build, you just need to be familiar with the pieces and be careful about your construction. The more time you spend in alignment, the better the airplane will fly.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:46 AM
Oddie13

Ron, it's my understanding the kit contained a piece of plastic from which the builder could fashion a wind screen. If the builder wanted a canopy he had to supply his own. My kit does not have the piece of plastic. Canopies are available from third parties.
Wheels were to be supplied by the builder.

The screws and bolts were loose inside the box so goodness knows if I have them all. I'll have to wait until the build.

Did a NIB kit contain any control linkage hardware?

Bax, in fact I have three kinds of wire. I have the fat stuff, the very thin wrapping wire, and some very stiff music wire that I assume is for the linkage.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:00 AM
tweedy
My Feedback: (1)

The later kits included a canopy, If yours does not, or the canopy has yellowed, Park Flyer Plastics has them.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:33 PM
Dave Swanson

I know I am late to this party, but here are pictures of my old AMCO Aeromaster, circa 1985. I built it from an Aeromaster Too kit, but as version 1 which was the favored configuration at our little field. Definitely one of my all time favorite airplanes!

I have been away from RC for 30 years but am back and ready to tear into my old stash of kits. I have 3 NIB AMCO Aeromasters (1 Aeromaster, and 2 Aeromaster Too's) and just might have to try the new fangled version 3 with both wings swept. That configuration seems to have plenty of fans so maybe I should see what all the fuss is about. But I must admit I loved the way it flew as version 1 so much I will be bit worried that version 3 won't give me the same kick.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:52 PM
mradcliff
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love It! Glad your flying again.
Mark
Old 08-28-2016, 06:14 PM
aeomaster32

Originally Posted by Dave Swanson
I know I am late to this party, but here are pictures of my old AMCO Aeromaster, circa 1985. I built it from an Aeromaster Too kit, but as version 1 which was the favored configuration at our little field. Definitely one of my all time favorite airplanes!

I have been away from RC for 30 years but am back and ready to tear into my old stash of kits. I have 3 NIB AMCO Aeromasters (1 Aeromaster, and 2 Aeromaster Too's) and just might have to try the new fangled version 3 with both wings swept. That configuration seems to have plenty of fans so maybe I should see what all the fuss is about. But I must admit I loved the way it flew as version 1 so much I will be bit worried that version 3 won't give me the same kick.

Thirty years is even longer than my 27. I had to learn to fly all over again. The reason I went for both wings swept was to reduce wing loading for slower flight due to the larger wing area. She could still do snap rolls though. The aeromaster is a superb design that can take a lot of punishment if you stick with the rubber mounted gear and wings,
Old 08-28-2016, 06:26 PM
Dave Swanson

aeomaster32, the plane I had stashed away that was closest to flying shape was my old AMCO Kwikray 500. Not exactly the best choice to re-learn flying but it worked! This thing is fast as stink! I have run a gallon of fuel through it so far with nothing more than a couple of broken props.

And yes, I will be building the Aeromaster in the traditional way with rubber bands everywhere!!

Last edited by Dave Swanson; 08-28-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:30 AM
deanz406
My Feedback: (28)

Default Aeromasters

Hi Dave- WELCOME BACK !!! Glad u chose a great plane like the Aeromaster to get back in the air. I always loved biplanes, and my very 1st one was an Aeromaster(silver/red) that I managed to talk a club member out of, since he wasn't flying it much. Put an HB 61 PDP in it, and have many gallons of fuel thru it. After getting that 1st one, i just can't pass one up that's for sale, and have 4 now, with one being the big 72" W/S one,orange/black. I'm presently putting the finishing touches on the red WW1 one, and should be ready for maiden next week. Since I'm bipe crazy, I also have 2 BUSA Phaeton 40's- 2 Phaeton 90's- 5 Skybolts- 2 Sig Smith Miniplanes- GP Super Stearman- and 2 Ultimates. I absolutely love them.
When u decide to start building one- please do a thread here on the forum. Here's a pic of a couple of mine. Dean

Name:	Aeromasters 185.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	2178825   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aeromasters 186.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	2178826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aeromasters 187.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	2178827   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3626.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	2178828  
Old 08-29-2016, 02:50 PM
Dave Swanson

Dean, what a nice collection of Aeromasters! I must say I am partial to the first 2 and the orange and black is a stunner!!

Last edited by Dave Swanson; 08-29-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:54 PM
Dave Swanson

Originally Posted by pd1

I just found this picture of my first Sportmaster. The radio was Digitrio modified for four channels.
Flight lasted just under 60 seconds. That was the last time I flew with the Digitrio.

Paul, I really like the scheme you chose for your ill fated Sportmaster! What was the color scheme?

Old 08-29-2016, 09:55 PM
pd1

It was all over yellow, (I believe it was chrome yellow) next color international orange and the bottom was Fokker red. The top ahead of the cockpit was black.
I used a lot of this stuff.

Thanks for looking.

I think the other Aeromasters look great too.

Paul

Name:	aerogloss3.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	2178899  
Old 09-02-2016, 01:02 PM
Dave Swanson

I thought I would share a little Aeromaster nirvana brought to you by Lou Andrews. All NIB, 3 Aeromaster Too's, 1 Aeromaster, and 1 Sportmaster thrown in for good measure!

Old 09-02-2016, 01:45 PM
pd1

Originally Posted by Dave Swanson
I thought I would share a little Aeromaster nirvana brought to you by Lou Andrews. All NIB, 3 Aeromaster Too's, 1 Aeromaster, and 1 Sportmaster thrown in for good measure!

Dave, I have a Minimaster and an A-Ray that would look good with your stash.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:49 PM
Dave Swanson

Originally Posted by pd1
Dave, I have a Minimaster and an A-Ray that would look good with your stash.
Always looking for AMCO stablemates!
Old 09-02-2016, 05:49 PM
aeomaster32

I have to comment again on the engineering of the Aeromaster kit. I think it is brilliant. I have only had two out of control crashes in my model career, and the last one happened after a Lomslovac (sp?) I was eventually able to trace the cause to a battery disconnect caused by miss-fitting connectors. The violent maneuver was enough to allow movement within the connector itself, where the contacts were marginal. With full power on, the Aeromaster arrowed vertically into sodden turf buried up to the firewall, with the tail still sticking up like a dart. Any other model would have been exploding matchwood, but the elastic gear and wings, along with solid engineering, allowed me to consider repair. If wings and gear had been bolted on, it would have been a write off. Regardless, the lower wing was ripped apart by the gear as it went forward. Here is an "after" picture I did not expect to ever take..

Name:	Aeromaster3 801.JPG
Views:	727
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	2179347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aeromaster3 805.JPG
Views:	1002
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	2179348  
Old 09-02-2016, 06:02 PM
Dave Swanson

Great repair job! Is that a Saito 82? How do you like the engine/Aeromaster combo?
Old 09-02-2016, 06:09 PM
aeomaster32

The Saito 82 is a perfect match power-weight wise. For the first time I could do a proper Top-Hat with the vertical half roll.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:12 AM
pd1

Beautiful job on the repair.

Paul
Old 09-05-2016, 08:04 AM
Dave Swanson

Here is another blast to the past. Ah yes! 2 freshly built Aeromasters! The red and cream is mine and the red white and blue was built by my friend Mike.

All is good with the world. The sun is shining the birds are singing and visions of all the wonderful flights you will have with your prized Aeromaster are dancing through your head.

Then the inevitable happens. The clouds appear, the birds go quiet and your pristine Aeromaster isn't so pristine anymore!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.