Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Would someone define PAA load for me?. Didn't fly back then. Skinny Bob

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Would someone define PAA load for me?. Didn't fly back then. Skinny Bob

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 08:26 AM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would someone define PAA load for me?. Didn't fly back then. Skinny Bob

Old 01-05-2005, 09:02 AM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Would someone define PAA load for me?. Didn't fly back then. Skinny Bob

Bob,
PAA load was a free flight event sponsered by Pan American Airlines, hence the PAA. The object of the event was to design a model within certain parameters, don't remember what they were, that could carry the most weight and fly the longest, with a minimum time required for scoring. I remember the ballast was shaped roughly like the outline of a person, but more block like. Every effort was made to reduce weight, including holes in the wheels, rids, light weight covering, etc. I was into FF at the time, but the event was very specialized and never really went into it. I think PaAm stopped sponsoring the event around the time the Navy withdrew it's support but I'm not positive. Also, around that time the event had become stagnet as everything that could be designed into the models were, and it just became "who could lift the most" free flight event. This was before carbon fibre and all the other materials we have today. It's unthinkable that any aviation company would sponsor any type of event today. In fact, they've gone the other way demanding roayties if you use their markings, design, etc, such as Lochkeed and the P-38 debacle.
BRG,
Jon
Old 01-05-2005, 09:52 AM
Dsegal

Default RE: Would someone define PAA load for me?. Didn't fly back then. Skinny Bob

The above reply has confused PAA-Load with the Cargo event. PAA-Load was for ROG free flight models which carried a little man-like figure of set weight. Cargo was for free flight models which tried to lift the maximum weight.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:55 AM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

Jon, thank you for the very complete definition of the Paa load event. I have just purchased a Berkeley Cessna "170" partialy completed kit. and wondered what PAA load printed on the box ment. Have a nice day. Skinny Bob waiting for spring.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:41 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rules for the A.M.A. event of old P.A.A. used to be on-line. There had been some argument as to figuring wing area, and their offical rules straightened that rumour out.

I can't locate anything at their site anymore, so cannot give a proper URL either.

Wm.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:22 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Present day PAYLOAD and CARGO are Free Flight events 106 and 107 in the AMA rulebook, available on line at the AMA website. They are not widely flown events but have their followers. These evolved from the PAA events. Now for engines up to .025, eg the defunct TD 020.

Jim
Old 01-09-2005, 09:02 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

At one time, when Pan American started sponsoring the events, PAA Load was for 15 powered planes. There was a minimum weight, and a requirement to carry the dummy that also had to weigh some particular amount. As the room for FF models started disapearing, the engine size was reduced to 049, and Clipper cargo was added, which was for planes designed to carry both the standard dummy and to carry additional ballast. Flight times were something like a 40 second minimum flight with a 20 second engine run. Object was to lift the highest total weight in three flights. Sizes were later reduced to 020. The object in load was to get the highest number of maxes. I haven't looked at the rules for several years now.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:30 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

In the back of my closet I just dug out a kit for a Jetco PAA Load Jetfire. It is a strange looking low wing 32" span model for a Jetex 150 engine. Anyone on this thread have any personal experience with the Jetex powered class of Paaload?

Arlen
Old 01-10-2005, 09:40 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Built one about 1961. had a great glide, but when I lit the engine off for it's first powered flite, the engine casing split and made an ash out of the plane. I built a couple more Jetex 150 powered planes, but I think because of the extra weight, the PAA jobs were easier to recover without leaving smaller fields. Never got to any competitions, but had a lot of fun.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:47 PM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 1957 PAA-Load Event rules & regulations book printed by Pan American Airways . Any thing anyone want to know? MAX H. [email protected]