Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 10:45 PM
Nightstalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

ORIGINAL: ronj10

I don't understand this. Why is vasek responding to vandelay when the post is for damifino. And Vandelay wasn't yelling. only asking a question. Even if it was an uncomfortable question, or interogative question, I'm not sure if this is the right response. Is this the proper resonse to people who do not think like we do?
Am I going to get yelled at for asking this question?
And in my opinion, I could be wrong, 25% of the posts have nothing to do with waco's.
That is not vandelays doing. He just started here.

ORIGINAL: vasek

HEY VANDOLEY >>> let it go, don't know what your problem is & I DON"T CARE!!!!!!!!

this is a nice place to talk WACO talk. so talk Waco ....

Capish?
Ron - I gotta ask... what's YOUR problem???... not that I care... but I am curious (and I do care to some degree).

I flew outta bounds... maybe... slightly (with my reply to Vandolay... yesterday... or Saturday regarding his post) and you jump in with a post (which I read before you editied / deleted your reply #2500)... which had nothing to do with WACOS, so what gives?
I may not always be on topic, usually never, but come on!!! The majority of us like this thread on topic or off.

PM me if you want and we can discuss this off line. I used to like your posts several weeks ago. You seem to be a talented builder, albeit sensitive. I'll give you my phone number and we can talk if you want.

Thanks
Todd

WACO Brotherhood #47

Old 05-22-2007, 06:44 AM
flyguy888
My Feedback: (63)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason I edited out my post is on hindsite I realized it was inappropriate.
It was only up for a few minutes. Have you ever said something you wanted to take back?
I apologize for letting my emotions get the best of me.
Discretion is the better part of valor.

Anyway, this is how a faired my wing into the fuse on the bottom. The pica kit did not really have any method for doing this. I also added an extra dowel in front. The one per plan may be enough, I dunno, Its not something I wanted to find out during a loop. I built lots of sixty size ships with two dowels, I was a little nervous when I saw that this bigger airplane had only one.
Also, I now wish I had added ply blocks in the wing on the T.E. for the wing screw hold down areas. The balsa is too soft, the big heads of the plastic screws have already made deep impressions in the soft balsa after taking the wing on and off a bunch of times.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50247.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	689290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20150.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	689291  
Old 05-22-2007, 07:46 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: damifino

Here's the Tee info one more time. Sorry I have not updated the list yet, been really busy.

Your WACO TEE SHIRT Money Orders and Pay-Pal transactions have been coming in. If you haven't already, be sure to reserve your shirts by May 31!!

Here is the KICK OFF INFO one more time. PM me for mailing/Pay-Pal instructions. Thanks

The cost for 2 Tees, including shipping within the U.S., is to be $30.00 for S M L & XL. XXL and XXXL will be $35.00

The shipping, unfortunately, has driven the price a bit higher than I had hoped.

So, that's the deal guys. I sent a private message to each of you (I hope) with an address for your USPS Money Order payment and a Pay-Pal ID for those of you who wish to use that option. I wish to allow 3 weeks for you to send in your payment. I have tentatively scheduled the printing to be done the first week of June.

Please try to have the payments in by May 31, 2007. PLEASE include your mailing address, your RC Universe 'user name' and your shirt sizes. I have size info for all who requested shirts but it doesn't hurt to send it with your remittance.

KHODGES- Your ARFnot looks fantastic. That shot posted beside the black and white picture really says it all.
Hi, I tried to send you an e-mail last night. Your spam blocker won't let me get to you. It says it can't find the original message so I am blocked out.
Anyhow I would like to order 2 XXl "t" shirts. I can pay via PayPal. I just need to know who to send the funds to. Also Are there any hats to go along with this shirt? if so how much?
Let me know the cost including shipping to zip 91978

Thanks
Steve Waco Brotherhood #46
Old 05-22-2007, 07:55 AM
Tripp2loo
My Feedback: (15)

Off any subject, but still Waco..., anyone have a spare $135K kicking around. I need a 0% intrerest loan, over 60 years..

I am drooling over this thing, not sure why I keep watching it, but I do

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AVRI&viewitem=&item=140117561243&rd=1&rd=1]Dream Waco[/link]

BTW, I say $135K, as this will give me about 7K to get a licese... [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 05-22-2007, 07:59 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Hi guys and Gals. Here are a couple of photos of my Barth Waco YMF5. I'm looking forward to this "Brotherhood" "Miss Linney" is without a doubt my favorite plane to fly.

Name:	Mk26705.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	689302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi22063.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	689303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91864.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	689304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56320.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	689305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56127.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	689306  
Old 05-22-2007, 08:44 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To All:

I'm going to say this once again. This is a Brotherhood. We discuss things other than WACO aircraft here. If the thread srtictly stuck with only the details about building the YMF/UMF, it would be very dry reading, and friendships would not be allowed to grow. If you have a problem with this, why not start your own thread? This historicially has been a very problem-free thread, and I don't want to see it grow problems. We do not always agree with each other, but let's not let it grow into a urinating contest. Keep it civil, and the Moderators won't be in here with both guns blazing. If necessary, I will begin to do what I never wanted to do...Impose rules for membership. Look in the mirror and breathe deeply 5 times before you post something that is guarenteed to start a fight. This is all I will say on this subject.

Bill, AMa 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 05-22-2007, 09:41 AM
Nightstalker

The reason I edited out my post is on hindsite I realized it was inappropriate.
It was only up for a few minutes. Have you ever said something you wanted to take back?
I apologize for letting my emotions get the best of me.
Discretion is the better part of valor.

Anyway, this is how a faired my wing into the fuse on the bottom. The pica kit did not really have any method for doing this. I also added an extra dowel in front. The one per plan may be enough, I dunno, Its not something I wanted to find out during a loop. I built lots of sixty size ships with two dowels, I was a little nervous when I saw that this bigger airplane had only one.
Also, I now wish I had added ply blocks in the wing on the T.E. for the wing screw hold down areas. The balsa is too soft, the big heads of the plastic screws have already made deep impressions in the soft balsa after taking the wing on and off a bunch of times.
Ron - Sorry I high sided as well... that hindsight thing gets me now and again too.

Your wing looks great, by the way. You should consider becoming an Engineer ... (I'm one too.. and that's what really scares me when I build models [X(])

Todd
WACO Brotherhood #47
Old 05-22-2007, 10:01 AM
Nightstalker

Ron - regarding the problem with your screw heads digging into the balsa, try drilling out the existing thru holes to the dia of your screwheads and then epoxy in hard wood dowels of the appropriate thickness, drill your screw clearance holes thru the dowels and it should beef it up and won't show indentations. You could model it in Solidworks first if you want . If the dowels should ever fail, you've probably got bigger issues at hand. Just a thought.

Todd
WACO Brotherhood #47
Old 05-22-2007, 10:52 AM
flyguy888
My Feedback: (63)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a good idea that will work even now that it is already covered with film. I had toyed with the idea of major surgery installing ply squares in place of the sheeting, but that dowel idea is a very simple fix.
thanks.

ORIGINAL: Nightstalker

Ron - regarding the problem with your screw heads digging into the balsa, try drilling out the existing thru holes to the dia of your screwheads and then epoxy in hard wood dowels of the appropriate thickness, drill your screw clearance holes thru the dowels and it should beef it up and won't show indentations. You could model it in Solidworks first if you want . If the dowels should ever fail, you've probably got bigger issues at hand. Just a thought.

Todd
WACO Brotherhood #47
Old 05-22-2007, 11:25 AM
mango12

Hey All. Can someone show me a simple line drawing of a Waco YMF wingtip? I just want to make sure I get it right. A front view will do, thanks.
Bro 49
Old 05-22-2007, 12:10 PM
Nightstalker

That is a good idea that will work even now that it is already covered with film. I had toyed with the idea of major surgery installing ply squares in place of the sheeting, but that dowel idea is a very simple fix.
thanks.

ORIGINAL: Nightstalker

Todd
WACO Brotherhood #47
Hey no sweat Ron, glad to help out. Can't remember where I saw this or read about it, but I didn't think it up originally. Should work and will be quick and easy compared to surgery.

And who says that Damn Nightstalker never posts on topic I might get used to this on topic stuff... but don't hold me to it... I'm an incureable wise *****

Todd
WACO Brotherhood #47
Old 05-22-2007, 03:07 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

To All:

...This is a Brotherhood. ... If you have a problem with this, why not start your own thread? ...Impose rules for membership. Look in the mirror and breathe deeply 5 times before you post something that is guarenteed to start a fight. This is all I will say on this subject.

Bill, AMa 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
WOW! brotherhood? or dictatorship! >you think a post like this won't ruffle some feathers?

I didn't realize someone "owned" this thread up until now. [&o]
Old 05-22-2007, 03:16 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Bill, i forgot... if you "own" the brotherhood as well would you take me (#55) and Vrtulka (#55) off the list pls.

Thank you,
Vasek
Old 05-22-2007, 03:21 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

To All:

...This is a Brotherhood. ... If you have a problem with this, why not start your own thread? ...Impose rules for membership. Look in the mirror and breathe deeply 5 times before you post something that is guarenteed to start a fight. This is all I will say on this subject.

Bill, AMa 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
WOW! brotherhood? or dictatorship! >you think a post like this won't ruffle some feathers?

If there's any "ownership" to this thread, it should belong to Stickbuilder, he started it and has long been its prime mover and shaker. That plus the kind of person he is should give him the right to say whatever the hell he wants here. I've watched and read and listened to all this ankle nipping and haven't said anything til now. If you don't like what you see here, go somewhere else. The rest of us will all be better for it.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:23 PM
bart5495

Bill. Your words of wisdom was followed by me a few day's ago. I'm glad I took a deep breath and relaxed. LIfe must be very good for all of us to be able to spend time on this thread and play with our model aircraft.

Thanks for leading and keeping us on the right track.

Doug
Waco brotherhood #11
Old 05-22-2007, 03:28 PM
Stickbuilder

Bill, i forgot... if you "own" the brotherhood as well would you take me (#55) and Vrtulka (#55) off the list pls.

Thank you,
Vasek
Vasek,

No one owns this thread (except RCU). However, someone must keep the peace. I am simply stating that this is a free wheeling thread, but the antics of the last few days will tear the whole thing apart. If I must, I will (as the originator of the thread) ask for the thread to be closed. This thread is too much fun to have ruined. Hope you see things the same way. Please go and look in the mirror, take 5 deep breaths and see if you feel the same way. I will do whatever you wish, regarding your membership.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 05-22-2007, 03:31 PM
Stickbuilder

To All:

Bill, AMa 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

If you are going to quote what I said, please make the quote complete, and not out of context.

Bill, AMa 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 05-22-2007, 03:39 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: mrdhud

khodges

I have been looking at your tail wheel set up and am impressed. Is this set up on the plans or is it something you or some one else has designed? I will be getting my plans from AMA soon and trying to do my home work. Thanks and please keep the pics coming they are priceless to me as this will be my first build from plans only.
Dan, the tailwheel is all my design, except the wheel and hub which is a Klett tailwheel. I scratchbuilt the legs from brass tubing and piano wire, based on measurements I made of closeups rom the 'net. I had originally had it fitting into the mount included with the ARF, but it had no shock absorption; it came apart on me the other day at a spot I had feared was weak. I also had no isolation between it and the servo to prevent shock damage to the servo, which also drives the rudder; the Master Chief had some good suggestions as well as Jay, or John, can't remember who posted it, about using nose gear nylon mounts. After I got to playing with things, I mocked up something similar to what you saw, it seemed to work, so I made the one you see in the most recent posts.

The spring linkage at the servo works really well to isolate shock loads transmitted from the tailwheel via the control rod. The spring loading on the tailwheel is a compromise, though. It will give under vertical loads (to the tailwheel shaft), but real-life loads have a vector more at 45-60 degrees to the shaft because the plane is moving forward. The full-scale tailwheel is sprung so that it gives rearward and pivots about a horizontal axis. Mine is susceptible to shear loads that the full scale avoids. Here is a picture of the scale assembly for either the Genesis or Barth (can't remember which), which is the same basic design as the full scale. I am happy to post pics of how I made the forks for mine, if you like.

When I pulled up the pic, my caption says "Palmer tailwheel"

Name:	Lj22026.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	689542  
Old 05-22-2007, 03:40 PM
mango12

On a lighter note:
two polish guys from Brooklyn hired a piolet to fly them to Canada to hunt moose. They bagged six. As they were loading the plane for the trip home, the piolet told them they could only take three moose. The two guys objected strongly, stating " last year we shot six moose and the piolet let us take all six on the airplane, and it was the same type of plane as yours".
Reluctantly, the piolet agreed and all six moose were loaded on the plane. Unfortunatly, even at full power, the plane couldn't handle the load and crashed shortly after take-off. Climbing out of the wreck, one of the brothers asked where they were at. " I think we are close to where we crashed last year" his brother told him.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:59 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: mango12

Hey All. Can someone show me a simple line drawing of a Waco YMF wingtip? I just want to make sure I get it right. A front view will do, thanks.
Bro 49
Surely someone will have something more "formal" than this, such as a plans drawing or some such, but do these help? Remember, this is an ARF wing, so the structure may not look like yours. The tip design is mine, done from photo blowups and careful proportional measurements. I reused the lit-ply "D" shaped ring on the wingtip, but re-angled it and relocated it on the end rib. The braces out to the tip are 1/16 in carbon fiber strips with a balsa wedge to brace them. Everything is slightly recessed except the last rib, so nothing but the rib shows when covered. I feel like they are as close to the prototype's tips as any model's.

Name:	Ig13466.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	689563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68146.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	689564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19112.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	689565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15592.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	689566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj25781.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	689567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36888.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	689568  
Old 05-22-2007, 04:25 PM
mango12

Thanks Ken!! That clears up alot for me. Unfortunatly, it means reconstruction time. I don't know what mine turned out looking like, but they ain't right!! I'll have to saw off the two outermost ribs but think it"ll be a quick correction.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:50 PM
skylarkmk1

mango,

I don't have any YMF photos yet, but these are a YKS wing tips (both wings from the same plane). Not the exact view you are looking for. If you look close the wings are constructed a little different from each other, but the end result is the same. I'll be back up to CCA on 2 June and can get the head on views you need (of the YKS, UPF-7, UBA or others). NC 155Y, Texaco 17, a UBF-2, shows the wing tip curving up towards the high point from the last full rib (lower wing). NC 173E (Blue UPF-7), the upper wing shows the upward taper (sorry about the glare). The UMF/YMF were the forerunners to the UPF-7.

Name:	Sq46229.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	689585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40857.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	689586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23473.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	689587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89634.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	689588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67334.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	689589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26081.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	689590  
Old 05-22-2007, 04:52 PM
trlambsr

Here is what I have The taper starts further in on the wing as I see it
TR
WACO Brotherhood #69

Name:	Ki18729.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	689591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg14800.jpg
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	689592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io29042.jpg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	689593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73599.jpg
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	689594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61178.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	689595  
Old 05-22-2007, 05:26 PM
mango12

Yea, it looks like it starts on about the third rib in. Luckily I only boobooed the last two..........I think. Thanks for all the help guys.
B-49
Old 05-22-2007, 08:24 PM
damifino

Okay guys. More pictures as promised.

Having the Master Airscrew Balsa Stripper attached to the table lets you feed the balsa through it much like using a table saw. Much easier than trying to hold the wood and the stripper at the same time.

Name:	Pm34656.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	689728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57038.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	689729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49410.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	689730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45756.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	689731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq89455.jpg
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	689732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Of58617.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	689733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tw40999.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	689734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Az87941.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	689735  

Click image for larger version

Name:	On95150.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	689736  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.