Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 09:48 PM
skylarkmk1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Scott,

That maybe so about the SE-5, but he was going to build it as a R/C until he ran out of room for the radio. You must admit though that the work is very well done and can be applied to either type.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:30 AM
damifino

Those new legs make your bird look 'complete'. GOOD job!
Old 07-22-2007, 09:33 AM
jagnweiner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

Scott,

That maybe so about the SE-5, but he was going to build it as a R/C until he ran out of room for the radio. You must admit though that the work is very well done and can be applied to either type.
Oh, I agree that the work is well done. I was just commenting that I have never seen such amazing detail in a control line plane. Of course I don't really follow control line scale, other than the occasional column in Model Aviation.

-Scott
Old 07-22-2007, 12:24 PM
damifino

Check out this thread for some awesome detail work and construction of a WWI aircraft in 1/6 scale. The fellow posts great pictures.

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5029692/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm[/link]
[/quote]

. . . as long as we're a little off topic. Did you notice that the SE-5 is CONTROL LINE!?! Amazing.
[/quote]

Just thought anyone's techniques can be relevant whatever the subject is. The guy's patience and skills are to be admired for sure.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:40 PM
mango12

I saw a thread on rcscalebuilder( somewhere) where the modeler used a process called photo etching to make all of the parts for his cockpit. The entire process was fascinating, to say the least, and the parts were absolutely incredible. If I can find the thread again, I will post the link.
Scott
Old 07-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

Ken, that is one beautiful Waco!. I have followed your work on this plane and let me say you have done a very fine job. I hope I can do near as well with my project. Please keep us up to date with all you experience with this model.

Thanks

Bob
Old 07-22-2007, 10:29 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks much, Bob. I went back out today, no joy. If the dang wind doesn't slack off, the only experience I'll get with this plane is watching it collect dust on the workshop shelf All I want is a half dozen flights in good weather to get used to it again.

Also, no joy this weekend on receiving my UPF kit. If it isn't here by tomorrow, things are gonna start getting ugly. It's been 5 weeks, it was promised in three. Laser cutting is supposed to be faster than hand cutting, nez pas?
Old 07-23-2007, 08:28 AM
jagnweiner

ORIGINAL: damifino

Just thought anyone's techniques can be relevant whatever the subject is. The guy's patience and skills are to be admired for sure.
Damifino-

I agree completely. I wasn't complaining about being "off topic". Just noting the fact so that no one complained about me being "off topic."

Regards,
Old 07-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ken,

Great job with the rebuild. In fact, Outstanding!!!! I made the fiberglass cover for the tail access this weekend, and have it dry mounted. I still wonder how well the adjustable H-Stab will work. The access panel will allow me to access the linkage and render it inoperative if necessary.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 07-23-2007, 05:38 PM
khodges

Master Chief, I think the stab trim will work fine, my only concern is how rapidly will it move when you trim it, if it only moves at normal servo "trim speed", a click at a time, it should be perfect. A one or two degree excursion is going to make a big difference back there.

I just spoke with Aaron at Ikon.....again. He had promised me last Monday he'd ship it out no later than the following day, didn't ship it until Saturday, and sent it by slow boat FedEx. At least it's out of his hands, maybe the shipper will actually be quicker about it than he was. I can understand it's not his primary job and he works out of state, etc., but when you are in a business and promise a certain service, you'd best deliver as stated, or you'll only do a lot (maybe) of one-time sales.

I'm going to be out of town from Thursday for a week and a half, and I worry that the delivery guy won't leave it under shelter. Maybe I could get damifino to pick it up and build it for me while I'm gone, the workmanship on his fuse skeleton is beautiful.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:59 PM
Live Wire

WITHHYB
Old 07-23-2007, 07:41 PM
old git

ORIGINAL: RC Outlaw

WITHHYB ???
You chaps from over the pond do use some peculiar words, I cannot even pronounce this one.

WACO Brotherhood No. 14.

old git - - - - - - - aka John L.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:36 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: RC Outlaw

WITHHYB
What In The Hades Have You......... Bought?

Only reason I can figure out the rest is that most of it was one of my Dad's favorite questions to me when I was young, only it ended in D N instead of B (Done Now) and he didn't say Hades.

of course, it might be his second favorite question, which went with the first:

Where In The Hades Have You Been?
Old 07-24-2007, 02:09 AM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

My Waco brought me 3rd place, TWICE

I can't believe I survived the weekend. Flying in front of judges; I sure put a lot of pressure on myself! I had an absolute blast. The Waco was third place for pilots choice award, I was shocked, there was some beautiful crafts in the line up. The guys doing the static judging were shocked that I was not in expert. After I told them this was my first attempt not only at scratch building but at scale in general, they were quick to tell me, I'll do good if I continue in competition. Dick Hansen video productions was on site, as well as a pile of other cameras, I'm sure I'll be able to retrieve a few pics from somewhere. If you have not competed before, it sure was a blast. I took 3rd place in my category, 1.5 points away from 2nd place! I am truly shocked! I also received two offers to buy LOL, what a great experience all the way around!

Thanx guys
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84411.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	729002  
Old 07-24-2007, 04:03 AM
pimmnz

There is nothing like flying a Waco in scale competition. I have flown mine in F4C (FAI) to `make up the numbers' (I entered in Sportsman) but there was little difference in the actual flying, and you get a huge sense of superiority simply because you are flying the best airplane there...didn't actually place but the buzz lasts till the next contest, and the airplane loves it too...
Evan, W.B. #12
Old 07-24-2007, 09:32 AM
skylarkmk1

Hughes

Way to go man, congratulations on a job well done. With all the info buried in this thread, the next one will be even better. You must have practised flying it a lot in the 7 day learning period you had before the contest. Pat yourself on the back, you can be proud and satisfied seeing your work pay off. Again congratulations.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:49 AM
skylarkmk1

Bill,

You wisdom and foresight in seeing the future of this Pica Waco YMF as a plane that needed resurection has also paid off. The members are starting to see results from your efforts of starting this thread, getting the plans to the AMA and from their work in building (or converting) their own version. Congratulations to you as well. Thanks Bill.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:57 AM
Stickbuilder

John,

There is room all around for thanks. Everyone has contributed to the effort. You have been instrumental in providing otherwise unobtainable information for we who are busily building the, "Best one yet." It is so nice to see someone place in competition with one of these obsolete models. Hopefully, we will see more. Keep the pressure on guys.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 07-24-2007, 01:42 PM
Stickbuilder

Hughes,

What took first and second? Must have been pretty nice to have beaten the Great Pumpkin. I like the Orange version that you did. I'm going to have to look pretty hard to come up with a color scheme that someone else is not doing.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 07-24-2007, 04:00 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Hi Bill,
First place was an electric Spitfire [:'(] 2nd place by 1.5 points was a giant scale Eindecker!
1st place in peoples choice was a very beautiful scale Spad from a Procter kit that is no longer available and 2nd place was Miss Veedoh sp? Both were from the US.

I miss it already! I have the scale bug now, bad!

I was able to practice about 6 times during the week before the event. I practiced from south to north each time. Guess which way the wind started blowing [:-] north to south [X(] The 2nd wing over was disastrous........ after that I was ok!

Too much fun!
Old 07-24-2007, 04:20 PM
mobyal

Hearty congratulations from the Shenandoah Valley, Hughes!
The airplane is beautiful, and your practice certainly paid off. (When was the last time a Spit sounded like a derasnged vacuum cleaner? LOL
Al
Old 07-24-2007, 04:30 PM
old git

ORIGINAL: Hughes500E

My Waco brought me 3rd place, TWICE

Thanx guys
Steve
Many congrats'.

What with successful compettitors and judges, this thread is becoming rather elevated, I supose I had better hide in the corner.

It's difficult enjoying the pics and info without having anything to return.

Nevertheless, keep up the good work Brothers.

WACO Brotherhood No. 14.

old git - - - - - - aka John L.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:05 PM
Stickbuilder

John L. You, of all people do not need to hide in any corner. We are all proud of all our Brothers endeavours.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 07-24-2007, 05:07 PM
khodges

Hughes--Congrats on your awards! Starting out with a 3rd place.....you just raised the bar for the rest of us will you still remember us "little guys" when you take Scale Masters next time? I'm very happy for you, way to go!!
Old 07-24-2007, 10:02 PM
damifino

Hughes500E- Congrats on your accomplishment! That's the way to perform under pressure! 6 days of practice............WOW.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.