Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 06:34 PM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

More
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84066.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	759841   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51681.jpg
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	759842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19473.jpg
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	759843  
Old 09-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Jim Henley

Nice Photo's Larry, thanks for sharing !
Old 09-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great pics Larry. Thanks.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 09-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Jim Henley

Ken,
Sorry to hear you broke your UMF, perhaps Bill is right, you may need to just land on the main's and let it settle in that way. I've about come to the conclusion that is the only way I can get the Stearman down with out bouncing it. That and low rates when I'm landiing.
I finally got the WACO to balance, I finally gave up and started adding weight in the cowl, there was no place left anywhere else. I wanted to leave the cowl off until I had gotten a couple of flights on it, but that ain't gonna happen. I don't have a small scale so I took the bathroom scale to the basement, weighed me then weighed me and the WACO, looks like I'm in the 18 - 20 lb range. Now that I'm close on the nose to tail balance I can check the lateral balance and if necessary add weight to the wing tip. Once that is done, I can get the bottom wing in paint. Who knows I may get it in the air this year yet!
Old 09-09-2007, 08:21 PM
Live Wire

Jim
trying to fnd out what you people are eating Mine is 14 1/2 lbs and needs no nose weight.
and what did you think of the lock on the baggage comp. and the tail wheel mech. on the Waco
Missed some letters
Old 09-09-2007, 11:43 PM
skylarkmk1

Larry,

Good pictures of the cockpit, tail wheel (with banner or sail plane release) and the hatch. The Blue and Silver Waco, NC 662Y (White 26) in the first picture is actually a 1930 ASO belonging to David K Allen of Colorado. David brought his ASO to the 2007 AWC Fly In at CCA in June and also the NWC Fly In the following week in Ohio. Here’s another picture of NC 662Y.

From what I have observed at CCA, the “Woven Wire†Hatch lock seems to be common on early Wacos (1929-1932) although some have been retro fitted with the “Luggage Lock†type lock. RNFs that have been at CCA did not have luggage compartments behind the rear cockpit.

Name:	Xv63005.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	760114  
Old 09-10-2007, 08:45 AM
JoeAverage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: khodges

Who is it that posted a while back, wanting a set of Model D plans? I have a line on a set of 1/4 scale plans by Bill Effinger. My AMA District VeePee, who lives here in Hickory, has a set. He's planning to go to Muncie in October, and said he'd make me a couple of copies, and was going to see if he could get them reduced to 1/5 scale, at least one set.
Ken, That was likely I that had asked for the 1/4 Effinger D plans. The AMA sells 4 of the 9 page set for $92 then gives your money back when you make polite inquiry of where the rest of it is. I'm looking for an original unused set. That big a set, 9 sheets, some quite large would cost a fortune to get copied at Kinko's 70 Cents a Sq. ft. 25 cents a sq.ft. here accurate too. A fifth scale D would look great with your F.
John
Old 09-10-2007, 03:18 PM
Garthwood

Hi Larry ....................nice photos thanks for sharing.

Charles.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:32 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Dang, Ken !!!

Is the plane coming in that slow that it stalls the last foot? If so, try flying it all the way in on the wheels. I hate that you have had so much trouble with yours.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
That's what I try to do, and the wheel landings, when I get it right, work great. I was at a fly-in this weekend and had made several uneventful landings, both on the paved runway and on grass. This last time I came in and flared too high (two feet!) and was in a light headwind, just a couple of mph, just enough to feel. Ground effect was keeping me about a foot up and I was letting it settle at its own rate and the breeze quit and that was all it took, and it stalled and dropped the single foot, bounced and caught the wingtip and chin on the pavement. The plane is incapable of a 3-point; if you get it in the correct attitude for a 3 point landing and are going slow enough to settle, it stalls every time. Carrying power all the way to the ground is the only way for this model. I don't think changing decalage would help or improve things; flight performance is very good and predictable, and stalls up high are even and recover quickly with nose down and a little power.

I'm having a little problem modulating the throttle also. One click, it's too slow and settles too fast, another click and it's just enough to keep it flying in ground effect, takes a hundred feet to touch down after the flare. I'm going to have to play with the throttle endpoints and try to get finer control down low. My DX-7 doesn't have expo on the throttle, which would be the best way to adjust it.

I looked at the damage closely today, lots of scratches, and the broken wingtip is one that was broken early on, the fix was fairly easy.

This is the second crack-up in a week for me, the other one was my 1/5 scale L-4 that I've had for 4 years. I think I might need to turn in my pilot's license

Name:	Ec88425.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	760519  
Old 09-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Live Wire

You no I did not think this would go over but these round engines are something else

Name:	Yw67984.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	760592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58560.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	760593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io28761.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	760594  
Old 09-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Live Wire

I think I missed one Well I thik on this 1 this girl has to be Well A wing walker Not for ME

Name:	Ec88189.jpg
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	760614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80120.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	760615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm22277.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	760616  
Old 09-10-2007, 07:26 PM
skylarkmk1

Ken,

The Waco is repairable (you've had practice ), how about the L-4? Glenn wasn't at CCA Sunday, otherwise I would have taken pictures of the "Envelope" method of covering. Terry uses the standard covering method using the Superflite System. I also noticed that he applied a reinforcing strip over each rib BEFORE rib stitching, he said it was a fiberglass material. The wing was then rib stitched and taped.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:31 PM
Live Wire

Maybe

Name:	Om32243.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	760626  
Old 09-10-2007, 09:55 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

Ken,

The Waco is repairable (you've had practice ), how about the L-4?
It broke out most of the center section, broke both wing struts, trashed the cowl and my dummy engine, and the windscreen and front side windows are split. Luckily none of the fabric covered parts are damaged. I may fix it this winter, but I'd rather be building something new than doing a lot of crash repairs. I have a 1/4 scale BUSA Cub in a box, I'd almost rather put the effort into another, larger L-4 . I may just repair the 1/5 cosmetically and sell it to somebody who wants one to hang in a den or restaurant. (there's an old guy around here who sells antiques, and he buys old r/c planes for this purpose).

On the other hand, this whole fall/winter may be a wash; I'm looking at carpal tunnel surgery on both hands, as well as ulnar nerves (elbows) . This will keep me stove up pretty well for the better part of 12-14 weeks, and my shop is all to hell right now, has broke planes and tore up bathroom parts all over (trying to get our bathrooms remodeled before the surgery). This fly-in was sort of a last hurrah before I put the transmitter down for a while. Wish I could have gone out on a better note.

I'm hoping that while I'm out of work, I can do a little building once the immediate healing is done. The surgeon told me I'd be out of work for 12-14 weeks, but i think I'll be able to do some stuff around the house (light stuff like laying out fuselages and wings) Lord knows there's enough of that around here for several years.

Hey, Live Wire--careful with that B-25, I think I see a tree about 3 or 4 miles from you out there. my lawn is just about that brown right now, I haven't mowed grass in two months.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:13 PM
skylarkmk1

Ken,

That’s a bummer about the CTS and Ulna, 12-14 weeks (hope it is less) and not being able to do much with the hands. Hope you get the bathrooms done before, you know the wife and girls will be all over your case if you don't. Follow the Dr. Instructions and do the PT to get your hands back in shape. I had a hand injury, surgery and did the PT exercises and the hand is about 90-95% (will never be 100 due to nerve damage and tissue loss).

Fix the Waco and then maybe the Cub when the time is right. Anything more on the Ikon N'W UPF?
Old 09-11-2007, 10:47 AM
khodges

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

Anything more on the Ikon N'W UPF?
Nothing yet; it's sitting in the box on a shelf, like so many others right now I'm really in a quandary about what to build next. Obviously the UPF is high on the list. Help me out; what would you do next given these choices. Consider that the engines are available, all that would be needed for any one are Rx and servos.
Ikon 1/5 UPF-7 WACO
BUSA 1/4 Fokker D-VII
BUSA 1/4 Sopwith Pup
BUSA 1/4 Nieuport 11
BUSA 1/4 Spad XIII
Vaillancourt 1/4 L-19 BirdDog
Fun Aero 1/5.6 SE-5a
BUSA 1/4 J-3
Old 09-11-2007, 12:01 PM
skylarkmk1

Ken,

If size didn’t matter (I am work space limited, prefer 1/5th), I would still put the UPF 1st. My build order (of your list)would be;

1 – UPF (actually a UBF-2)
2 – J-3 (Super Cub PA-18 on the board now)
3 – SE-5a (see note below)
4 – Fokker D-7
5 – L-19 Bird Dog
6 – Sopwith Pup
7 – Nieuport 11
8 – Spad XIII

Might have to do the DH-4 (in 1/6th, 90" ) after the Wacos and Cub are built (my list).

There is a good construction build on the SE-5a for those who have not seen it in the R/C Scale Aircraft, SE5a 1/6 Scale Scratch Build section (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5029692/tm.htm ). Steve (smcouch77), the builder, started out building the SE-5a as an R/C, but ran out of room for the radio and converted it to control line and is trying to make the US FAI Team (at the Nats, he took first in C/L scale and high static score). It is helpful for scaling out any plane; he shows you what the finished part looks like and how he did it. A good read with lots of info.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:39 PM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

Ken, sorry you had such bad luck. Don't give up, repair the UMF, I know you love that plane. Sounds like you are feeling down at this time, but hang in there, things will be better after the surgery and the healing. Good luck and best wishes!.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:26 PM
khodges

Thanks, guys, for the concern. I'll get over it, and yes, the UMF will get fixed, and probably the Grasshopper, too. The surgery ain't a done deal just yet; I had nerve conduction and EMG studies last week, and they don't really show anything except some mild changes in the right wrist. Both the neurologist and neurosurgeon say that negative tests don't mean there isn't a problem. Clinical findings and physical symptoms still say there is a problem (numbness, stinging, and decreased fingertip sensitivity in my case, as well as part of the time my hands feel like they're submerged in uncomfortably hot water). I trust the surgeon implicitly, I work with him all the time and know the quality of his work; I also know that surgery sometimes doesn't fix the problem no matter how good they are.

The bathroom is finished as of tomorrow, just have to finish grouting some tile, so the girls at least won't be inconvenienced.

Enough of this #%&*$@*&. Let's build some airplanes. Much as I want to do the UPF next, I've had the BirdDog for three years and I think it'll be next. 108 inch wing, ZDZ-50NG for power. Then the UPF. John, I barely have the room to build them, but danged if I know where I'll be able to hangar them. If it's not going to rain around here any more, I can just keep them outside.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:28 PM
Stickbuilder

And it's not confined to you. I just finished stripping the paint (all of it) from the wheel pants (both of them) and have the primer drying (again). They just didn't look like I wanted them to, and the colors that I had selected didn't move me. I'll try again. This one is starting to fight me, just like all the rest have. I should have known that when the framing went so smoothly, something was going to jump up and bite me. I hope this get's it out of it's system.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 09-11-2007, 11:05 PM
skylarkmk1

Bill,

If you haven't done so already, both the National Waco Club and the American Waco Club site have pictures posted of their Fly Ins, so you may get some inspiration there. Also check the Rare Aircraft site http://www.rareaircraft.com/restorat...ery/YMF-5.html for a look at the YMF-5 they have in the photo gallery, Red with Black trim and white pinstripes. There is also a Dark Purple and Light Blue ZPF with Gold pinstriping (custom paint job) on the same site.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:07 AM
Stickbuilder

I just stole a look at the YMF. It's not exactly it for me. I have an idea (hope Ken doesn't get whizzed) but I'm thinking about a reverse of his. White in front and red in back. Scallops on both top and bottom of wings. For some reason, the Black is not working for me. It makes the red look darker, and the white becomes too stark. I may add some gold for accent striping (probably to the red, but I'll do a test with it on the white).

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Bulldog Brother #?
Old 09-12-2007, 04:57 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder
I have an idea (hope Ken doesn't get whizzed) but I'm thinking about a reverse of his.
Better to be whizzed than to be whizzed on, I always say.

Doesn't bother me at all, I think it would look good. You could also do the same pattern, but use the original colors, dark blue (but not Navy blue) and white with gold pinstripe at the color breaks.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:39 PM
skylarkmk1

All,

For those of you needing photos of the modern Instrument panels of the YMF Classics and Supers, Noll-Modelltechnik http://www.noll-modelltechnik.de/coc...unstflug_2.htm has some here for the Barth kit.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:40 PM
Stickbuilder

Well, they are all solid white again tonight. I'm going to let the paint outgas for a couple of days before I tape off everything that is not going to be red. I've had the color on and off these wheel pants so many times, I think that if I yell at them, the paint will jump off. I'll get it like I want it if it kills them.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Bulldog Brotherhood #95

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.