Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 10:00 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Gentlemen, (Ladies too)

I have taken the liberty of inviting the people over at the COX WACO ARF froup to come over and have a looksee. I think that if they wish to be members of the brotherhood, they should be able to do so. After all, mine is now an ARF. What do you think? Lordy, this thing could get so big that we could form a political action group...maybe even a political party. [:@] [>:]

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-20-2006, 04:54 AM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couldn't wait, had to see if it fit. Working on the hardware now, Mick Reeves has some material I'll be ordering for rigging!
Lots of work to go with this scratch build project but I'm loving it!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20095.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	580573  
Old 12-20-2006, 05:56 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Hughes500E

Couldn't wait, had to see if it fit. Working on the hardware now, Mick Reeves has some material I'll be ordering for rigging!
Lots of work to go with this scratch build project but I'm loving it!
Ahem...It's call dry fitting. It is a necessary step in building, in order to ensure that all the parts fit correctly and in the proper relationship with each other. Yeah, ...That's it. ... See, Honey, the other guys said that you have to do it this way. ...

What kind of rigging does Mick offer? Is it the stretchy stuff, or the flat wire rigging? Real WACO's did not use round rigging.

Bill,AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-20-2006, 12:08 PM
Hughes500E

It's all flat with available fork ends. He even sells a stainless, 100 piece fittings kit. for mounting Interplanes and cabanes with tabs for the flying wire etc, you're welcome

http://www.mickreevesmodels.co.uk/

Click on Sopwiths, scroll down a bit and you'll see Biplane parts.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:35 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gentlemen,

First, I am still hanging around here, enjoying the show...

I have the option of obtaining plans and templates for the 1/6 or 1/5 scale Pica YMF models. I guess I could get both, but that's starting to get pricey... Is there any significant differences between the sizes in how they build/fly/look? Are fiberglass parts available for the smaller size? Does the wing loading get out of hand on the smaller one?

The reason I ask is that the 60" span would sure be a lot easier to transport and store, even if it is not as impressive as the 1/5 scale version.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 12-20-2006, 02:28 PM
flyguy888
My Feedback: (63)

Gee, ya sure you want to scratch build? Those kits come up on ebay on a regular basis.
I know for sure that fiberglass specialties has cowls and pants for both sizes.
I have done a lot of research on the web and by email on both sizes. Everyone says it is the best plane they ever had and wished they had not sold it or had another one. They must both fly fine, all those people cant be wrong.
This was my first plane over .60 size. I wanted a gasser and many people told me this was a good builders kit and a sweet flyer. I have been very happy building the 1/5 size. Very impressive.
I know what you mean about transport though. So that I would not have to rig it at the field I bought a 2nd hand enclosed snomobile trailer.[sm=what_smile.gif]

if you love to build you have to pay the price

Waco brotherhood#7
Old 12-20-2006, 03:07 PM
flyguy888

Hey, Stickbuilder
It appears from the threads you have flown these planes. I have mine set up right now with some right thrust built into in the engine mount. I can easily take it out (its just a shim pad).
Does the engine in your experience need any down or right thrust? I had read one guys account that he thought the plane was prone to roll easy from the torque on take off. Of course, there is no telling if his story is qualified because there are so many variables that could cause that. Low airspeed, warped wing, bad piloting, too much beer, etc.
I am only concerned because I was running up my q35 mounted to the fuse last weekend. That thing had a whopping amount of torque.

If you love to build you have to hide alot of expenses from your wife

WACO Brotherhood#7
Old 12-20-2006, 03:26 PM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: ronj10

Gee, ya sure you want to scratch build? Those kits come up on ebay on a regular basis.
Yup, I'm sure. The kits do come up regularly, but they go for what I consider to be an insane amount of money for a semi-decent quality kit. If I have to replace wood and re-work things, I might as well scratch build and start fresh. Plus, I really enjoy scratch building. I am not in a hurry to get it done, so the time to cut formers, ribs, etc. isn't a problem.

Good to hear that the fiberglass parts are available for the 1/6 as well, that simplifies things substantially.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 12-20-2006, 03:32 PM
gwulle

Stickbuilder

I appreciate you sending me the web address of the American Waco Club. I went over to their sight to visit and wound up buying some of their caps. You should go over and look,they are nice looking for $15.00 each.

Gaines
Old 12-20-2006, 04:31 PM
WacoCabinaero

ORIGINAL: mmattockx

Gentlemen,

First, I am still hanging around here, enjoying the show...

I have the option of obtaining plans and templates for the 1/6 or 1/5 scale Pica YMF models. I guess I could get both, but that's starting to get pricey... Is there any significant differences between the sizes in how they build/fly/look? Are fiberglass parts available for the smaller size? Does the wing loading get out of hand on the smaller one?

The reason I ask is that the 60" span would sure be a lot easier to transport and store, even if it is not as impressive as the 1/5 scale version.

Thanks,
Mark
My opinion is to get the 1/6th if that is what you want, while it's no secret that the bigger they are the better they fly, you won't be dissapointed. Templates and plans are great. I only build from plans. I like the whole building experience and hand picking my own wood. I find that half the kits I did build from in the past still have most of the wood they came with in the box.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:47 PM
flyguy888

Gentleman
For those who want them. I have large format scanner at my job and I have scanned the Pica waco prints for both the 1/6 & the 1/5th planes. They are free if you promise not to sell them on ebay. You would need to call me 763-425-2540 days 7-5pm and give me me a good e-mail address that will accept large attachments, or I could mail them on a cdrom. They are excellent copies in tiff format.
Ron Jesberg

__________________________________________________ __________________

If you love to build you will have to pay the price

Old 12-20-2006, 04:50 PM
mmattockx

Thanks for the info, I will make sure the copies are correct before I buy. It is the same supplier that Hughes500e got his from, I guess we could ask him to check his plans for accuracy. Hughes, are you out there? How do they look?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 12-20-2006, 05:03 PM
mmattockx

Ron, PM sent.

Mark
Old 12-20-2006, 06:31 PM
Stickbuilder

Gaines, If you found the site to be able to buy the hats, you have the web address. Look at the tabs at the top of the page, and you can pull down what you want as far as pics etc goes.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-20-2006, 06:46 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: ronj10

Hey, Stickbuilder
It appears from the threads you have flown these planes. I have mine set up right now with some right thrust built into in the engine mount. I can easily take it out (its just a shim pad).
Does the engine in your experience need any down or right thrust? I had read one guys account that he thought the plane was prone to roll easy from the torque on take off. Of course, there is no telling if his story is qualified because there are so many variables that could cause that. Low airspeed, warped wing, bad piloting, too much beer, etc.
I am only concerned because I was running up my q35 mounted to the fuse last weekend. That thing had a whopping amount of torque.

If you love to build you have to hide alot of expenses from your wife

WACO Brotherhood#7
Ron,

I have not a clue as to what you are going to need with the Q-35 on board. I have no idea how to wet it up with a small-block Chevy V-8 either . I do not use any right or down in any of mine, but then again mine are not over powered. The real plane does not use any right or down thrust on the engine. That's what the controls are for. Adding right and down thrust (at least to me) is a crutch. It ain't necessary, and it makes the plane look weird. The guy that was having trouble with takeoffs, was probably trying to Horse the plane into the air. WACO YMF's do not like to do anything quickly. It is a very deliberate flying model, but it is an honest model too, and it requires you to be an adequate flyer. If you are expecting another ultimate Bipe, hurry and sell the WACO. If you want the most fun that you can have while clothed and vertical, then the YMF is the plane for you. Again I have no idea what kind of beast it's going to be with the Quadra in the cowl, but bet your last dollar you'll spend the majority of the flying at or below 1/2 throttle. One other thing, keep a little throttle in on your approach, and don't cut the throttle until you have the landing glued, and have made your flare. It will quit flying quickly. Try a few approaches at altitude. I think that you will find that the stalls are clean, but it can unexpectedly drop a wing on you, and can go either way. You can get a little tail wag on your down lines after a stall turn as well. I have never had one that would knife edge worth a crap. It wants to pitch toward the gear (a lot). Inverted takes a bunch of down elevator, and the turns need coordinated rudder to keep adverse yaw out. I would use lots of differential on the ailerons ( mostly up, and very little down) for the same reason. This plane does not look right flying modern aerobatics. Big loops and stall turns are fun, if you try to spin it, keep your rotations short, and get out of the spin quickly. Altitude burns off like right now! It will fall out of the sky when it stalls, so don't try it down low. For what it's worth.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-20-2006, 06:56 PM
WacoCabinaero

If you take the positive incidence out of the stab, on the next one, it won't pitch to gear on knife edge. This is with a 1.20 4 cycle.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: WacoCabinaero

If you take the positive incidence out of the stab, on the next one, it won't pitch to gear on knife edge. This is with a 1.20 4 cycle.
Speaking of the next one.... I opened the box on the next one this evening. (lip licking, drooling, sounds) I will begin cutting the parts from the master sheets, and after sanding, will scan each and every part. I'm going to save them to PDF format, and they will be available to whomever wants them (either one part or all of them) this will be free for the asking. I'm going to enlarge a second set to 1/4 scale for me. If you want a set of these let me know. I will not be answering a bunch of e-mails concerning these parts until I have the file finished. If you need a specific part or some parts scanned, let me know, and I will do them first. Just your friendly scale model WACO Factory at work.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Hughes500E

Hi Mark,
After seeing my buddies kit and all the reworking he has to do, I am happy with my choice to sratchbuild this. I think the picture above speaks for itself

I flew the 1/6th as well, it was an original Dave Platt kit with an Enya 60 4 stroke on it. Picture of it in flight is on this thread as well, great flyer, pretty much the exact same build! I was able to fit it in the Explorer completely assembled!

Glad you got some plans!
Old 12-20-2006, 08:18 PM
Stickbuilder

You know, reflecting on the build, just completed... Every on of these that I have built has fought being built. It seems as if the parts don't want to be a model airplane. I think I'll do some serious re-engineering on this next one, and see if I can eliminate some (if not all) of this. I do know that the wing joiners are going to be seriously more robust than the kit is set up for. This has always been a weak spot on the build for me, and the engine mount system will be more user friendly toward a radial mount system. The tailwheel will utilize a steering arm and nose wheel strut from either a 1/2 A glow model, or an electric fly nose wheel sdtrut. This means that the aft former will be made from ply. There are several more mods that I will address as well as the build progresses. Make your notes, and let's get on them as we go.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-20-2006, 08:22 PM
WacoCabinaero

ORIGINAL: Hughes500E

Hi Mark,
After seeing my buddies kit and all the reworking he has to do, I am happy with my choice to sratchbuild this. I think the picture above speaks for itself

Glad you got some plans!
Ah, the reworking. That's a major reason for scratchbuilding for me. Some kits are just great. Some on purpose, some by chance, but the ones I cut for myself keep getting better. This thread is full of great looking aircraft and the scratchbuilt is the one I relate to the most. Looks great Hughes500. I've got to admit I wish I had a Gemini for mine. They are a powerful motor, great value for the price. I'm saving for DA 50 for my ARE.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:36 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

Hi Bill,
As far as I'm concerned it's fine with me to invite the Cox people to join.

George
Waco Brotherhood # 5
Old 12-20-2006, 08:57 PM
Hughes500E

Thanx

Yes the ARE, I am going to hang my plans so I can study it for awhile!
Looking forward to that one. I agree with you whole heartedly, that is one serious build [X(]
Old 12-20-2006, 09:25 PM
WacoCabinaero

After I get my PC, Scanner, Camera and support equip squared away, oh yeh and Christmas I hope to start posting a bit of progress. Show and tell as I go I suppose. I'm having a knee replaced which I hope shouldn't slow me down, then the other one. So over time I hope to provide enough insight into it's construction to help others. I know there are a couple guys that I haven't talked to lately but may be watching that would be interested in it. I suppose if a guy hasn't done much scratchbuilding that it looks intimidating. After building this ARE no one will look at plans and think that again. I've been doing it for so long that I've forgotten what a challenge it is. I may get reminded. Some guys blast through projects like this. I think ahead, take my time, measure three times and cut once. It will be encouraging knowing that another builder is interested so welcome aboard. Five years ago I wouldn't have given it a thought. Now it has become the object of desires. Situation normal.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:15 AM
pimmnz

Weather has been bad, everyone is talking about building, then someone sent me this... I know Bill don't care for UPF's, but it's a Waco after all...
Evan.

Name:	Ca80968.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	581131  
Old 12-21-2006, 01:28 AM
WacoCabinaero

ORIGINAL: pimmnz

Weather has been bad, everyone is talking about building, then someone sent me this... I know Bill don't care for UPF's, but it's a Waco after all...
Evan.
It's not pretty as the YMF to many, myself included but there is more reason than curb appeal to build a model. Only a 3 dozen U/YMF-3/5 Wacos were produced from Dec 1934 to Sept 1937 and that was it until Waco Classic Aircraft began building the new YMF Super in 1986 .

The UPF-7 with it's various engines CPF-7 etc. was produced from 1937 until 1942 In it's purpose as an US Air Force trainer alone over 600 alone were bought. A couple hundred CPF-7's and others went to Brazil and Venezuela Governments, many on floats. The XPT-14 Army Air Corps version of the UPF-7 earned it's it's place in history with I didn't look up how many. Lots.

It does look a lot like a Stearman which doesn't help bolster it's model numbers any. I have a lovely 1/6th scale plan set by Sid Morgan and I am currently looking for a set of Jerry Behrens 90" span UPF-7 plans.

I am designing a Pitts Samson and have been for many years and should I live so long I wish to honour Jimmy Franklin as well Bobby Younkin with a rendition of the jet powered Waco. I would run engine smoke out the dummy jet engine which would be constructed lightly like a glass cowl.

Unfortunately I can't focus on a single project so there are many in the making. It is fun and interesting having such a scattered approach. I learn a lot and meet many great modelers. The upcoming "ARE" will be a beginning to end. I gotta get one done here in good time just for my mental health. Now I'm just rambling so I'll add one more pic of the strong, venerable, love it or hate it, UPF-7.

Speaking of a Waco people love or hate, it's called the Waco N and I love it.

Name:	Db84673.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	581150  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.