Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 09:51 PM
aminiet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Hoston was about 75 deg today, our seasons are Hot and humid, Stinking hot and humid, Miserable hot and humid and freezing my empenage the last week in December

Angel
B 58
Old 12-14-2007, 11:41 PM
skylarkmk1

Thanks Joe.

All 7 of the UPFs that were at the AWC 2007 Fly In had the brace like yours.

Jim,

We are in the same boat you are in the St Louis area with snow (heaviest snowfall in a while) predicted followed by sleet and more snow. Locking the doors, staying inside and cutting some parts (after I get the work bench cleared off and back together)

Rick,

Ditto what SCM said, I like the cowl mount/baffle/dummy engine mount idea. Will have to keep it in mind.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:49 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm at it again. I tore into the tail surfaces last night, and re-cut all the edges. I am in the process of rebuilding all of them with tubing for the edges. I got tired of never seeing a leading or trailing edge that looks right. So, here I go again. Somebody Stop ME! At this rate, this will be the worlds smallest Scale YMF ever built. There's gotta be a stopping place, I just don't have it in sight yet.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-15-2007, 07:33 AM
Jim Henley

John,
Yes, we lived in Ballwin for 7 years having moved there from Phonenix, AZ. We went from, as Angel said, Hot, Oh So Hot, Too Hot, Too Too Hot, to Snow, Hot and Humid, and Snow. Omaha is much like St Louis, not quite as humid, but here the wind never stops blowing. If you are going to fly here you have to learn to fly in the wind!
Hope to get some photos posted this weekend, I have all the repair done just need to fiberglass the bottom of the fuse where I cut into it and the landing gear fairings. The wing damage is repaird and in primer, hopefully I can blend the repair into the original paint then all I have left is to clear coat, which will propbaly have to wait until it warms up some.
Rick,
I too am liking your idea of the cowl mount/baffle/dummy engine mount and will keep that in mind for the next one.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:33 AM
lazyace
My Feedback: (126)

well brothers we are geting 12 to 18" of that white stuff here in the miami of the north [buffalo ny] so don't feel bad .
Old 12-15-2007, 07:49 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: lazyace

well brothers we are geting 12 to 18" of that white stuff here in the miami of the north [buffalo ny] so don't feel bad .
Surely, you are referring to Miami, as in Miami Ohio, right??????? Now with what is going on in the Frozen Nawth, Anybody wanna tell me about Global Warming again? I got up at 0400 this morning (as per usual) and it was 72 degrees outside. Started to put on sweat pants for the chill, but decided what the heck, and went with shorts (again). It's great to be alive and living in Florida. Y'all Come (but don't plan to stay.....We are full).[:'(]

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

ps.....did anyone notice that we passed 180,000 hits last night? And 4900 posts. Soon to be at 200+ pages. Whoodathunkit?
Old 12-15-2007, 10:02 AM
SuperCub Man

Regarding the gear from Century as in the photo, how does one cover it? With balsa sheet, or F/G skins or plastic?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65170.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	825991  
Old 12-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Stickbuilder

I think that I would build a wooden sub frame (ribs etc) and then build a set of fiberglass skins to cover the framework. Remember, you will need to do it in different pieces, since the bottom section will need to telescope in and out of the upper portion. It will take a little engineering to accomplish, but should be worth the effort.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 12-15-2007, 10:51 AM
skylarkmk1

SCM,

I agree with Bill, build the gear fairings in 3 or 4 parts for either Sierra or Century. An inner Main Strut fairing with a streamlined cross section fixed to the upper main strut (lower strut floats inside fairing), the large triangular fairing that fits over the main strut fairing and finally the wheel pant fairing that is able to move over the main strut fairing with the action of the spring loaded lower strut. Here a few pictures to help visualize from YMF Classic NC 14081.

P1 Inner side of wheel pants and gear fairings, note cut out for inner strut, stainless wear strips, tow point and slit in wheel pant to gear fairing.

P2 Different angle of inner side showing clearance gap on pant fairing and tow point.

P3 Top outer view of wheel pant to gear fairing, again note gap around strut fairing and wear strips.

P4 Front view pf gear, notice that the wheel pant fairing has a "neck" that fits over the main strut fairing to give the length needed to allow for movement as the lower strut "moves".

Name:	Fd92670.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	826022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85566.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	826023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26756.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	826024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86606.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	826025  
Old 12-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

SCM,

I agree with Bill, build the gear fairings in 3 or 4 parts for either Sierra or Century. An inner Main Strut fairing with a streamlined cross section fixed to the upper main strut (lower strut floats inside fairing), the large triangular fairing that fits over the main strut fairing and finally the wheel pant fairing that is able to move over the main strut fairing with the action of the spring loaded lower strut. Here a few pictures to help visualize from YMF Classic NC 14081.

P1 Inner side of wheel pants and gear fairings, note cut out for inner strut, stainless wear strips, tow point and slit in wheel pant to gear fairing.

P2 Different angle of inner side showing clearance gap on pant fairing and tow point.

P3 Top outer view of wheel pant to gear fairing, again note gap around strut fairing and wear strips.
John, what would we do without you!

Thanks again
Old 12-15-2007, 12:35 PM
SuperCub Man

Thanks Bill and John. I appreciate your advise. I notice that there are what appears to be wooden spars under the center of the top wing. Some aircraft have two of them and I think I've seen one with four. What is their use? Are they just varnished wood?

Name:	Hf10012.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	826101  
Old 12-15-2007, 01:14 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

I'm at it again. I tore into the tail surfaces last night, and re-cut all the edges. I am in the process of rebuilding all of them with tubing for the edges. I got tired of never seeing a leading or trailing edge that looks right. So, here I go again. Somebody Stop ME! At this rate, this will be the worlds smallest Scale YMF ever built. There's gotta be a stopping place, I just don't have it in sight yet.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Bill,
Without a doubt, you are taking this one to the next level. It is going to be one sweet WACO! Oh, I want try to stop you. [8D]Want to see how far you will go.... If I can build one half as nice it should be pretty darn good.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:30 PM
skylarkmk1

Jim (SCM),

The wooden strips (either varnished or painted) are part of the fuel tank support system. The lower center wing surface is plywood (I belive 1/4" ) and the upper center wing surface is the fuel tank top itself on the YMF Classic NC 14081. The center section is covered and painted and then the strips are screwed in place from the inside and/or also bolted. The tank is then installed and covering is completed if needed. Original YMFs had the tank buried under the covering which then had to be removed and replaced to service the tank. You are correct in your observations that some Wacos had more than two wood strips.

P1 YMF Classic, NC 14081. 2 wooden tank support strips. Notice the relief cuts in the plywood tank compartment floor to allow for the tank fittings and fuel guage

P2 HARMs UBF-2, NC 2091K. Note the 5 wooden strips with no visible screws except for a bolt at each end of the center strip. Note the rib extensions at the rear of the tank compartment.

P3 Cabin Wacos have the wood strips too. Bill Harter’s YKS-7 NC 17474, Note the 3 strips under the tank. That is Bill and his wife in front and his dad in the rear seat.

P4 Tank compartment on the upper wing of a YKS under restoration. Note the 3 lines of screws for the wood strips and rib extensions on the aft side.

P5 Upper Tank fittings on UBF-2 NC 12002 with fabric covered tank. Note neoprene washer around fill cap neck and vents and 2 extra layers of fabric reinforcement around the vent tubes. Bolt on metal center strip passes thru the wing to the center wood strip below.

P6 Top of tank on YMF Classic NC 14081. The wing surface is the tank upper section. Similar fittings.

Name:	Pn35638.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	826142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51008.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	826143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87544.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	826144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30363.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	826145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84344.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	826146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74636.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	826147  
Old 12-15-2007, 01:50 PM
SuperCub Man

Terrific John - that's all the info I need!! I notice the connections in the top wing for the gas lines. I'm thinking they could be simulated with some RCA jacks, and with the wire acting as gas lines, could bring the wing tip light circuits down to the fuse. That would make for easy connect/disconnecting assembly at the field! Lots of thoughts here!

Thanks
Old 12-15-2007, 03:58 PM
Stickbuilder

Y'all are going to hate me for saying this, but I was just finishing up the lawn mowing this afternoon, and was raking the grass cluppings, when I heard a Jacobs Radial. I just had to look up, and sure enough, there was the Yellow YMF with the red trim (it looks like the Cox fifth scale ARF, and may be the one that they modelled). he flew a couple of circles over my place, and headed for home. He lives in a flying community about 6 miles North of me, and Lordy does it shine.....Sounds purty too. Oh, and about cutting the yard, Well the St. Augustine grass does require mowing year-round, and it's only 83 degrees here today. Sunny, with a light breeze. It's terrible to have to live this way, but someone has to do it.

Bill, WACO Brother #1
Old 12-15-2007, 04:04 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: RICKSTUBBZ

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Bill,
Without a doubt, you are taking this one to the next level. It is going to be one sweet WACO! Oh, I want try to stop you. [8D]Want to see how far you will go.... If I can build one half as nice it should be pretty darn good.
I have one of the elevators completed and covered. The tubing made all the difference in the world. I used 1/8" K&S aluminum tubing. It requires a splice, so you would need a short piece of aluminum tubing that will just slide into the 1/8 th tube. It is easy to form with your hands. I also made the stub shaft that carries the outboard hinge too. The strap part of the hinge will be a short piece of sheet aluminum, through bolted to the horizontal stabilizer.

Bill, WACO Brother #1
Old 12-15-2007, 06:44 PM
Black Drape

Stickbuilder

I feel sorry for you, having to stay home and mow the lawn. It was 28 degrees here today, so we all went flying. You put a set of skis on that Waco and bring it up to Montana, and I'll take you flyen. Forget that lawnmower!
Ron

Waco Brother #57
Old 12-15-2007, 11:31 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Black Drape

Stickbuilder

I feel sorry for you, having to stay home and mow the lawn. It was 28 degrees here today, so we all went flying. You put a set of skis on that Waco and bring it up to Montana, and I'll take you flyen. Forget that lawnmower!
Ron

Waco Brother #57
If you catch me North of Ocala Florida in December, I won't need a set of skis, I need an invitation to Chatahoochie. (that is the facility for the insane here in Florida) If it gets colder than it is right here, right now, I'm looking for a southbound lane. You guys have your snow and ice. We have our Hurricaines. We had first choice.

Bill, WACO Brother #1
Old 12-15-2007, 11:43 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

Charlie (lazyace)
we got hit with 11 inches of the white stuff on Thursday,and now we got a Nor" Easter coming in tonight the weather guy is calling for snow, sleet, freezing rain, and alot of wind, everything but the kitchen sink[:@]

George
Waco Brotherhood # 5
Old 12-16-2007, 10:06 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: ctflyboy

Charlie (lazyace)
we got hit with 11 inches of the white stuff on Thursday,and now we got a Nor" Easter coming in tonight the weather guy is calling for snow, sleet, freezing rain, and alot of wind, everything but the kitchen sink[:@]

George
Waco Brotherhood # 5
I don't know what I'd do with 11 inches of white sand.....Maybe sell it to the City of Daytona?????[:-]

Bill, WACO Brother #1
Old 12-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Stickbuilder

I'm going to need to use a removable joiner for the elevators. I will need to be able to remove them in halves so that I can do the same thing with the horizontal stab, should it require maintenance. Guess I'll use a piece of brass tubing and drill it and the dowells to accept a couple of bolts. anyone have a better idea? 2 servo's won't get it. I'm out of room[:@].

Bill, WACO Brother #1
Old 12-16-2007, 02:41 PM
aminiet

May I suggest a square joiner instead of round tubing and bolt installation, that way you avoid elongation of the bolt holes from the use of the elevator going up and down.

If it gets too cold for you there in sunny Florida, you can go to that island down south from Key West, It is always warm down there. You may have visited there when you were in the navy.

Angel
B 58
Old 12-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: aminiet

May I suggest a square joiner instead of round tubing and bolt installation, that way you avoid elongation of the bolt holes from the use of the elevator going up and down.

If it gets too cold for you there in sunny Florida, you can go to that island down south from Key West, It is always warm down there. You may have visited there when you were in the navy.

Angel
B 58
A square joiner sounds doable, and makes sense as well. I visited several Islands both while in the Navy and afterward on my boat. I suspect that you are talking about the one where we can only go to a small part of the island, while the rest has been considered off limits for some years now.

Bill, WACO Brother #1
Old 12-16-2007, 03:32 PM
Tony V.

Bill,
K&S has Sq. alum. tubing of many sizes. Tower has them....Maybe that will work and be lite at the back....
Old 12-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Stickbuilder

I'm thinking that I will need the wall strength of the brass square tube. It only needs to be 1 1/2" long.

Bill, WACO Brother #1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.