Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 09:03 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Another open ended question,
How much detailing can this model stand at 1/5 scale? I see so many details that I want to put into the plane I am beginning to worry about building a flying brick. Scale Ailerons, landing gear, fully detailed cockpit, rib stitching, rivets, flying wires, landing and nav lights. Is it realistic to add this much detail or is that better served on a 1/4 scale?
Anthony
Old 01-01-2008, 01:52 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Where is everybody? haven't heard from you guys since last year

Anthony, the 1/5 scale is plenty large to do some great detailing, but true, it gains weight quickly. My ARF, in the bare frame before I started on it, was about 13 pounds (with engine). By the time I finished it it had swollen to 18-1/2, but it still flies very nicely. I'd say it flies even more scale-like, no chance of it floating when you cut power, but the G-26 pulls it along very well and it will do any maneuver the full scale is capable of, in much the same way.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:55 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Happy New Year

Ken, of the +/- 5 1/2 pounds of weight your WACO gained how much would you say was paint?

John, on NC14081, Would you dare guess at the bolt diameter for the strut attachments and the rod end sizes for the aileron link? They both are looking like 1/2 inch to me.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:18 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

John,

I would just like to say thank you for the photos in your post #5261. Those pictures alone, answered several of the questions that I had, regarding the upper and lower mounts for the interplane struts. I know which way to go with mine now.

By the way, HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL !
Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-01-2008, 09:08 AM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

John,

I would just like to say thank you for the photos in your post #5261. Those pictures alone, answered several of the questions that I had, regarding the upper and lower mounts for the interplane struts. I know which way to go with mine now.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
I would like to thank John also. For all the time and effort he has spent on getting a ton of pictures and specs. This man will soon become a Waco Airplane expert.

Thanks John
Old 01-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Skinny Bob

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

John,

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
I would like to thank John also. For all the time and effort he has spent on getting a ton of pictures and specs. This man will soon become a Waco Airplane expert.

Thanks John
Bob,

I would put John up against anyone alive with his knowledge of all things Waco.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-01-2008, 11:40 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So that makes him an expert NOW, not soon!

John, I got the CD, can't wait to get into it and see those photos! Thank You!

Jim
Old 01-01-2008, 12:27 PM
WacoNut

Hi guys,
After much head scratching and pondering I have decided to build the Pepino 1/4 scale. I think the 1/4 scale size more fits what I am looking for. I want to thank everyone here for their help and answering questions. I will keep you all posted once I get started on my project.
Thanks Again!!
Anthony
Old 01-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Stickbuilder

Best of luck with it. Keep pictures posted as you go.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-01-2008, 05:06 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: RICKSTUBBZ

Ken, of the +/- 5 1/2 pounds of weight your WACO gained how much would you say was paint?
The plane is covered in Koverall, doped to fill the weave; there is a primer coat of rustoleum Clean Metal Primer, and the finish coat(s) are done with Krylon. The total weight of the covering/paint was 4-1/2 pounds, which was hard to believe, but I weighed the plane before covering and after finishing, and that was the weight difference. This also included the 1/64 ply panelling to simulate the sheet aluminum panels on the plane.

I've decided to start my BirdDog build on the R/C Warbirds and Warplanes forum, which is right next to the Vintage/Antique forum. I'm starting it today, but it won't pick up much steam for a few weeks, as I still am organizing the shop a bit. I'm still gonna be here a lot, and hope you guys will follow my build, and PLEASE feel free to suggest things as I go. You are as good a resource for building tips as I could ever hope for.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:44 PM
skylarkmk1

Special Announcement

After many requests, I have decided to make a few CDs available to the Brotherhood.

CD – 1 Waco YMF. CD will have photos of the 1987 Waco YMF Classic, NC 14081. I have taken (about 180 photos with photo guide/list). Also included will be the Pica Plans Details Sheet supplement (for a 1930s era cockpit) with corresponding photos from real Wacos, aileron details, photos of a Jacobs’ engine, data plate pictures and files, the instrument list for a 1930s era oval instrument panel, the Plans and Resource list and more. Over 300 photos.

CD – 2 Waco Cabin. CD will have photos of all the Cabin Wacos that attended the 2007 AWC Fly In at CCA, exterior shots only. Also included are 130 photos of a YKS under restoration in the HARM maintenance hanger. Over 300 photos total.

CD – 3 Waco UBF and QCF. CD will have photos of UBF-2s and QCF-2s with walk arounds, cockpits and details. Over 450 photos.

CD – 4 Waco UPF-7. CD will have photos of the UPF-7s that attended the 2007 AWC Fly In at CCA, exterior shots only. UPF-7, NC 173E (about 75 photos) will have the walk around, cockpit and other details. Also includes the Jacobs engine walk around and instructions how to print a scale engine date plate from the files included. Over 300 photos total.

CD – 5 CCA Aircraft - Bipes. CD will have photos of other Bi-Planes at Creve Coeur Airport from WW I to WW II. Over 280 photos.

CD – 6 CCA Aircraft – Mono Planes. CD will have photos of other Mono-Planes at Creve Coeur Airport from WW I to WW II.

CD – 7 Cessna 195A/B NC 9833A. CD will have the complete walk around with detail and interior photos, plus a few photos of other 195s. Over 200 photos.

CD – 8 De Havilland Model 4M2 (DH-4). CD will have the complete walk around with detail, some interior photos, flying photos and other info. Over 250 photos

Cost for the CDs in a Slim Jewel Case and shipping will be $10 for each CD for the Brotherhood members, $15 for those who are not. I do not use Pay-Pal or Credit Cards, so a U.S. Post Office Money Order would be the best way to send funds. For those of you outside the U.S., an International money order in US Funds will work.

If interested, send me, via PM or E-mail, your mailing address for the CD and e-mail address for shipping conformation. I will reply with my mailing address.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Stickbuilder

Ken,

Good luck with the Bird Dog. I'll keep an eye on you. Those Heavy Metal guys might kidnap you, and we want you back.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-01-2008, 05:59 PM
skylarkmk1

Jim, Bill,

I am not an expert at all, just maybe an advanced amateur. The AWC and NWC members and Waco owners, Terry Chastain, Chief of Waco Restorations for the HARM at CCA, CCA principles John Cournoyer, owner of many of the Wacos in the Museum and Al Stix, owner of the rest have forgotten more about Wacos than I will probably ever learn.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:20 PM
skylarkmk1

Rick and everyone,

I am not sure on the size of the bolts or rod ends, but will ask Terry this weekend or measure some on other Wacos.

While trying to figure out the bolt sizes, I checked Wicks Aircraft Supply http://www.wicksaircraft.com/ and discovered that they carry rod ends with bearings (F-6-32, M & F in 10-32, L&R), Tie rod ends in 6-40 and 10-32 (L and R) and Dzus fasteners in various sizes. The bad part is they are a bit more expensive than the same thing in the Dubro equivalent.

I don’t think most of the full size hardware will factor down in scale, compromises will need to be made and you will have to choose what looks best and still has the strength needed for the application.

What looks right will be right.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:24 PM
WacoNut

John you are my hero
I sent you an e-mail.
Thanks!!
Anthony
Old 01-01-2008, 07:10 PM
khodges

Brothers: take a look on the RC Scale aircraft forum under a thread called "scale corrugations". there's a modeller named 'Monocoupe' who posted pics of some corrugated ailerons he made using his own design press and lithoplate. You won't believe them. he might have the answer for us all with respect to ribbed surfaces.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:35 PM
WacoNut

ORIGINAL: khodges

Brothers: take a look on the RC Scale aircraft forum under a thread called "scale corrugations". there's a modeller named 'Monocoupe' who posted pics of some corrugated ailerons he made using his own design press and lithoplate. You won't believe them. he might have the answer for us all with respect to ribbed surfaces.
That is Nigel Tarvin, an excellent scale modeler. He has some very nice threads on RCscalebuilder.com forums. I asked himto post some pics of his tooling that he made to produce the corrugation, we'll have to wait and see.
Anthony
Old 01-01-2008, 09:01 PM
RCBOATMANIAC

Brothers, I have a good question for ya'll for the 1/6 scale YMF what are the engine requirements for the plane. The reason I ask is I have a Picco made but it is called a Skyward engine it is the same as a Picco 80 just turned side ways to make an airplane engine out of it. What I would like to know would it be a suitable engine for the bird, and if so what is the right size prop for the plane. I am anxious to see my plans show up so I can get the wood I need to get it started that way I can use the 1/6 scale as a weekend warrior and save the 1/5 scale for special occations. If somebody could answer the question about the 80 size engine I'd appreciate it kindly. Dave
Old 01-01-2008, 09:48 PM
skylarkmk1

Dave,

The Pica plans show a .61 2 cycle and Cox lists anything from a 60 2 cycle to a 120 4 cycle. Prop would be dependent on engine with a 16” wood prop being the scale size on the 1/6th.

If I understand your message, you have a Picco .80 aircraft engine called the Skyward. Is it a high revving racing engine like the ones Picco makes for boats? I don’t think it would like to turn the bigger props due to timing and stroke if it is. It is the right displacement, but I would consider an engine like the OS .75 AX or a .82 to .90 4s first (the four stokes sound better). Or if your pockets are deep enough and want to go gas, the RC Showcase http://www.rcshowcase.com/html/RCS/rcs140se.html RCS 140 SE or RE might fit, but would be on the large end power and size wise.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:59 PM
RCBOATMANIAC

Thanks John, with out the plans in hand yet I am kind of lost for info and I have the engine still in its box, and it hasn't even seen fuel yet like i said I was just curious if it would work or not. It would probably make a nice pylon race engine for a smaller plane. Oh well it won't go bad sitting in a box I'll just have to find some other use for it I guess. Dave
Old 01-01-2008, 10:23 PM
skylarkmk1

Rick,

Down load the plans from the House of Moy http://www.houseofmoy.com/waco/. They are in PDF format and you can view them on your computer. Printing them out may cost about $35 (Kinkos's, Office Max etc. ) unless you can find someone with a large format printer that can do it for less.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:26 AM
Stickbuilder

I have been noticing that there are very few models that are listed for sale these days that show the same engines that used to fly them very well. You will see a 60" wingspan biplane that requires a 2.2-3.0 4 stroke to fly (according to the distributor). I used to fly an 82" wingspan extra 300 with a 180 MOKI. Now that plane requires a 50cc engine. What is happening here? Am I losing what little memory I have left? Is all the advertizing aimed at the 3-D market? Is the basic requirement being able to hover the model? or does it have to be able to climb vertically from the hover? This is getting just a little out of hand.

Yes, any reasonably good .60 engine should fly the 1/6th scale Waco very well. It won't be a speed demon (then again no Waco was designed to be one). According to Dick Pettit (did a test of the smaller Waco in RC Report a couple of months ago), and used the Saito .82, and felt that it was grossly overpowered. Now, I have only met this man a couple of times, but when he claims a model to be overpowered, I would tend to believe him.

Use your .60, and enjoy the model.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-02-2008, 11:32 AM
red 1a

Hi Guys,

Completed the bottom half of my Pica 1/6 scale WACoYMF-3 yesterday and took it off the board this morning. I need some help with the LG. The plan/instruction book call for joining the main gear leg and the rear gear leg above the axle using a small V wire, wrapping all in copper wire and soldering. I could find no V items in the kit and there appears to be no wire in the pushrod package that is assigned to this use. I have never silver soldered. Do I use a propane torch? Do I use acid core flux? What do I use for a heat sink?

I will try and get some photos as soon as my camera batteries recharge.

Thanks.

red 1 (aka Don Borton)
AMA IMAA
WACO Brotherhood #72
Old 01-02-2008, 12:08 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

I am curious about an ongoing debate on pronouncing WACO. How many of you use Way-Co and how many use Whau-Co. Being from Texas and all, I pronounce it Way-Co. Like the town in Texas[8D].

The other day I was having a conversation about it and finally I just said "Weaver Aircraft Company". That pretty much ended the debate.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:20 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

I just stumbled across //www.radialengines.com/. They claim to be the engine builder for WACO Classic Aircraft Corporation. If someone has mentioned or post this before, I appologize.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.