Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 10:25 PM
germrb
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Bill,

I believe both of the companies I mentioned will also do decals. You'd have to check to make sure.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:27 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A sad note here:

I just received word that Jim Messer (one of the pioneers of giant scale, and all around good guy) passed away on the 4th of December. Jim was not a member of the Brotherhood, but was a Brother to all scale builders. I saw him last at the Monster Plane Event in Lake Wales. He had his Cub, and his Stinson there. He will be missed.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-06-2008, 05:58 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Sorry to hear about that,
I never met him but chatted with him on a few threads, seemed to be a real nice guy[]

Bill,
Get Stencils is now under new ownership and are back up and running, I have used their Stencils in the past with great results and they also make dry transfers. Here is the link [link]http://www.getstencils.com/Dry_Transfers.html[/link]
Later!!
Anthony
Old 12-06-2008, 06:26 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: WacoNut

Sorry to hear about that,
I never met him but chatted with him on a few threads, seemed to be a real nice guy[]

Bill,
Get Stencils is now under new ownership and are back up and running, I have used their Stencils in the past with great results and they also make dry transfers. Here is the link [link]http://www.getstencils.com/Dry_Transfers.html[/link]
Later!!
Anthony
Thanks Anthony. Yes, you are correct. Jim was one of the good ones. Even in his last few months, he was still willing to be helpful to all members of the modelling community. His passing has hit me particularly hard. While we weren't the best of friends, he always seemed glad to see me at whatever event caused us to come together. I saw him last in October at the Monster Plane Event, down at Lake Wales. He brought a couple of planes with him, but had to leave early each day to attend his Wife, who is in poor health.

It's a shame, and we who live here in Central Florida, jokingly call it God's waiting room, but it is all too true. Some of the best live here, but when I go to the flying field, I see graphic evidence that we are all getting older very quickly. Each spring seems to bring news that several of our fraterinty are no longer with us. We need to make sure that our friends know how much we appreciate them and treasure their friendship. I have lived longer than I will live, and while I don't know when my time will be up, I'm just glad that I have been able to know all of you Brothers in some way, and hope that my being here has made your stay a little more pleasant. Everyone is either an asset, or a liability. Jim was most definately in the first category.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-06-2008, 08:32 PM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stickbuilder

Bill, Sorry to here about your friend Jim Messer I didn't know the man but I'm sure he will be missed by many.

Here is were I'm at with my dummy motor I will paint it next I know the black & silver but what color is the center? I have you and the Brother Hood to thank for the prograss I've made on my Waco It was a lucky day for me meeting you.
Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81040.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1085090  
Old 12-06-2008, 09:03 PM
skylarkmk1

Dan,

Most of the engines (Continental or Jacobs) at CCA have a grey crankcase, but I have seen a dark turquiose, blueish grey and even the crankcase painted to match the paint on the plane.

P1 Jacobs at CCA
P2 Jacobs from the web
P3 Continental on a UBF

Name:	Fd91143.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1085113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50718.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	1085114   Click image for larger version

Name:	He96982.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1085115  
Old 12-07-2008, 01:28 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: mrdhud

Stickbuilder

Bill, Sorry to here about your friend Jim Messer I didn't know the man but I'm sure he will be missed by many.

Here is were I'm at with my dummy motor I will paint it next I know the black & silver but what color is the center? I have you and the Brother Hood to thank for the prograss I've made on my Waco It was a lucky day for me meeting you.
Dan
Dan,

Jim was the older gent that was at the Monster Event in October. He had the giant red Stinson, and the big yellow Cub.

Great job on your dummy engine. You will like it a lot.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-07-2008, 07:27 AM
WacoNut

Dan,
You did a great job on the dummy, A little paint and it will really look great. I used turquois for my 25% crankcase, I am sure grey would look good also.
Anthony
Old 12-07-2008, 08:24 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Bill and Dan,

I too am watching with great interest the step by step post on the dummy engines. Out of curiosity what did you guys use to cut the can? Bandsaw, Hacksaw, or xacto knives?

Bill, I sent you an email.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Richard Scale Rocks

Hey Guys! I would like to build a 1/3 or 1/4 scale WACO kit. I'm thinking that it will save me some time to build as apposed to a scratch build. Does anyone know of a very high end kit? If not, plans maybe?

Thanks

Richard
Old 12-07-2008, 01:27 PM
WacoNut

Richard,
I am currently building the AMR 33% Waco, you can see my thread here [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8053911/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm[/link] I believe Michel is running a $200 off special until the end of the year. Here is a link to the AMR web page. [link]http://www.amr-rc.com/[/link]
The kit is going together very well and I highly recommend it. As always there are some things that can be improved upon for scale appearance. It is a very well thought out design and the quality of the wood and laser cutting is excellent as well as the fiberglass parts.
The only other option out there is the Barth 25% and 33% Waco, I cannot speak about the quality of the build of these kits.
Hope this helps!!
Anthony
Old 12-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Richard Scale Rocks

WacoNut:
WOW! Man, now that's one fantastic looking airplane! I'll be dreaming of it now. Thanks for the info. I'm going to the thread right now.

What were you planing to use to finish it?

Regards,

Richard
Old 12-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: RICKSTUBBZ

Bill and Dan,

I too am watching with great interest the step by step post on the dummy engines. Out of curiosity what did you guys use to cut the can? Bandsaw, Hacksaw, or xacto knives?

Bill, I sent you an email.
Rick,

I use a bandsaw to cut mine, but you can do it with a hacksaw. Just be sure to vent the pressure before you start cutting. I use a nail and a hammer to puncture the can.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-07-2008, 04:18 PM
WacoNut

Thanks Richard,
The Waco will be covered with Koverall and I am still uncertain of which paint I will use. It will get rib stitching, tape and screw and rivet details as well as inspection rings and anything else I can think of to throw at it.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 12-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Richard Scale Rocks

WacoNut:
Great idea about the Coverall. That's all I use now that I only build scale. I just got some Klass Kote paint, I understand it;s the best.

Richard
Old 12-07-2008, 10:03 PM
mrdhud

Hello all

Thanks for the good words about the dummy engine. It's been fun and pretty easy so far with Bills help. I got the holes drilled tonight (35) now on to the painting.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:00 AM
Stickbuilder

Hello all

Thanks for the good words about the dummy engine. It's been fun and pretty easy so far with Bills help. I got the holes drilled tonight (35) now on to the painting.
Dan,

Some photos would be nice about now.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-09-2008, 10:01 AM
mrdhud

Hello all

Here's what I have so far still have to paint top of rocker arms and cut wire for spark plugs

so far I'm really happy with the way it's turning out but your thoughts are always welcome

Name:	Ki19999.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1086627   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74942.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1086628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82785.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1086629  
Old 12-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Stickbuilder

Hello all

Here's what I have so far still have to paint top of rocker arms and cut wire for spark plugs

so far I'm really happy with the way it's turning out but your thoughts are always welcome
Dan,

It's really looking good. Aintcha glad you tried it?

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking of Waco logo decals....

I had a page of them made up, mostly for my own use. I offered the others on here if you sent a self addressed stamped envelope, but never got much response.

I would be willing to send our 4 of these Waco Classic self adhesive decals for 4 bucks, sent via paypal. They are done in gold and black. I think I have about 24 of them left.

These are about 1/5 scale. Might be a little too large for exact 1/5 scale, but fine for standoff scale/fun scale. Here is a pic of them installed on my 1/5 Cox/Pica YMF.

PM me if interested.

Name:	Pn35519.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	1086634  
Old 12-09-2008, 01:01 PM
kvlasblom

Looks great!
Only I need 1/6th scale stuff.
Where do you go to have them made? If I did that I could also have white text made up for my dash...
Old 12-09-2008, 01:14 PM
nine o nine
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mindless philosphy....While doing the rib stitches and reinforcing tape work on my 1/3d YMF project today I had a worthless thought go through my head. When one covers and finishes a full scale fabric covered airplane he takes pains to make the rib stitches and tapes as invisible as possible. As a hobbyist but licensed Airframe mechanic I've covered several airplanes. Anyway....while doing the same boring, mindless work on my model plane I want to be sure that everyone can see the stitches and tapes! I guess what got to me was the irony of the situation....but I'm often accused of being mindless too. Mitch WB #100
Old 12-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: nine o nine

mindless philosphy....While doing the rib stitches and reinforcing tape work on my 1/3d YMF project today I had a worthless thought go through my head. When one covers and finishes a full scale fabric covered airplane he takes pains to make the rib stitches and tapes as invisible as possible. As a hobbyist but licensed Airframe mechanic I've covered several airplanes. Anyway....while doing the same boring, mindless work on my model plane I want to be sure that everyone can see the stitches and tapes! I guess what got to me was the irony of the situation....but I'm often accused of being mindless too. Mitch WB #100
Mitch,

I did a column in RC Report magazine while subbing for Dick Watz, on exactly what you are talking about. All too often Scale builders over do the scale details, and might as well put a set of Buick Ventaports on the plane. They often just look too dang big.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-09-2008, 02:27 PM
FMBB

Dear All,

I have found on the website of www.wacoclassic.com a beautiful Waco colour scheme. The scheme is close to the well known NC14081 but in wite as basic colour with red and may be grey trim. Has anyone any pictures of this beauty. I have already the CD from Stickbuilder for the NC14081 this will be used for a new version of my previous model which was lost about three or was it longer years ago. But the white and red one would make a nice model for my son. So if any one can get hold of pictures from this full scale version please let me know.

Thanks
Peter
Old 12-09-2008, 03:00 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: FMBB

Dear All,

I have found on the website of www.wacoclassic.com a beautiful Waco colour scheme. The scheme is close to the well known NC14081 but in wite as basic colour with red and may be grey trim. Has anyone any pictures of this beauty. I have already the CD from Stickbuilder for the NC14081 this will be used for a new version of my previous model which was lost about three or was it longer years ago. But the white and red one would make a nice model for my son. So if any one can get hold of pictures from this full scale version please let me know.

Thanks
Peter
Herr Barth,

If you will go to the Waco Classic Aircraft website, they will probably be happy to provide you with several photos of that airplane. I have had some dealings with them, and they have proven to be very nice when dealing with those of us who wish to model their aircraft. Please give them a try.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.