Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

ORIGINAL: Dash7ATP

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

I tried to get operating main gear for the fifth scale, but got suckered by Darryl at Sierra Giant Scale instead. This Friday will be 4 years that I'm waiting for the gear to ship. He did promise that it would ship on Friday. I'll be doing my own for the 27%.

Joe, trash those plastic fairings and make yours like I showed back in the thread. They look perfect, and are easy to do.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Hi Bill,

I knew those fairings were junk as soon as I saw them. I've never seen anything like the stuff they were made of either. Kinda of fuzzy on the inside surface.

I have been looking for your details on fairings but haven't been aboe to find them. Would you remember which page or post I might find that on?

Thanks.

Joe

Have a look on page 7.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 03-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Dash7ATP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a look on page 7.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Ah Ha! That is indeed simple enough. Ithihnk I'l just use the stuff in the kit for the ourlines of the fairings for starters and see how it matches the full size model I'm coping.

As for power, I'm kinda bummed out right now. I have two YS1.20s I really like. One is an earlier version but it still runs great and sounds wonderful. Imeasured from the center of the shaft to the top of the rockers yesterday and Ican't use it without cutting an opening in the cowl. It's about 4.5 inches high, and the cowl has an 8.5 inch Diameter. Idon't think it will fit into a rocker arm blister. Shucks!

Joe

Old 03-16-2012, 07:01 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I don't think it will fit into a rocker arm blister. Shucks! "

I went through that with my first Waco, gave up, but the bullet, laid the engine at 9 oclock, and cut a hole in the cowl.

Les
Old 03-16-2012, 07:38 AM
Dash7ATP

ORIGINAL: LesUyeda

"I don't think it will fit into a rocker arm blister. Shucks! "

I went through that with my first Waco, gave up, but the bullet, laid the engine at 9 oclock, and cut a hole in the cowl.

Les
Damn!

I just had an idea . Since the headappears to be about a 1/4" too high, I could cut the openingjust big enough to clear the rocker cover on the YS and make a seperate "double blister" just large enough to cover it. If done right, it could look like a "Mod" to the real one.

Another quick question to the experienced Pros on this elete forum. It appears that the thrust washer on my YS may be too close to the front of the lifter tubes to allow for a good dummy engine. Is there anyone who makes an extension Icould use that will allow me to mount the engine back far enough to mount a complete dummy in front of it? Iguess the standard way is to just use the engine as one of the cylinders of the "dummy" and be done with it. I'm thinking about the AeroTech as Ihave one of theirs in my Yellow Aircraft P-47.

Thanks all.

Joe
Old 03-16-2012, 09:18 AM
rcjunky67

BOY! after reading more of the post on this thread,I feel like a hair in a bowl of soup!!! Please,forgive my lack of understanding. You see, I was trying to find others on RCU that have assembled and flown the same plane (ARF) that I've recently aquirred.I realize now that this is a builders thread,and because of my lack of experience,I know I don't have anything to add hear. I became involved in this wonderful hobby 4yrs ago,and as of yet havent built a model from a kit yet. I do have a cub kit .60 size,from great planes and I've also got a vintage Sig cougar kit wating as well.But as things are to date I have rebuilt 15 various models that I rescued from the trash can at the club I belong to.but all of them were arf models to begin with. I think I'll check back in,in about 5yrs when I've attained a decent amount of stick building experience. PLease forgive my indescretion, thanks
Old 03-16-2012, 10:20 AM
ma_mulcahy

Anyone going to Toledo?
Old 03-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Dash7ATP

RCJunky,

Don't dispair!And don't just go away. This site and thread is a wealth of info for anyone with an interest in WACOs, or just scale models. As for not building, you have in the old Sig Kadet one of the best "first time" builder's kit's out there. I don't know how old your kit is but in my opinion, it can't be too old if it's the Kadet. My first RCPlane was a Kadet around 1978 and that was Before ARFs. Rebuilding OPCs (other peoples crashes) is also a good way to gain experience in building. Basically, it's all about gluing balsa together. What seperates the good ones from the hackers is how well you ensure the parts fit properly before you hit it with CA. You just have to take a few minutes longer to do it right the first time. Like my Dad used to say, "measure twice and cut once". The same thing applies to building a model.

For what it's worth, there is an extensive thread within this thread on a gentleman's (no offense intended) bashing of theCOX (I think)WACO ARF into a very nice scale model. Now some will say that once an ARF, always an ARF. But his certainly won't look like it when finished. Heck, given the age of this forum, it may have already been finished. I'm just not sure about that.

Welcome aboard.

Joe
Old 03-16-2012, 12:04 PM
Dash7ATP

RCJunky,

OOPS! I jsut re-read your post and noticed you had said you had a Sig Cougar instead of a Kadet. That is still a very good kit, but Idon't recall if it had a foam wing or not. I do know it was a good flying model as several friends of mine had them and loved them. Give it a try. You'll like it!

Joe

Old 03-16-2012, 12:39 PM
froghair1

The sig cougar is a great plane. Unfortunately mine sucommed to a bad cell in the battery. It does have a foam wing with 1/64 balsa sheeting
as I recall it is a mid wing. The cavalier is also a mid wing with very long and spindly landing gear. There is one more in the series but I can not recall the name of it, and I think it was a low wing. Possibly the patriot. Regardless of the name they are all very aerobatic but stable planes
Old 03-16-2012, 01:14 PM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

My first RC Plane was a Kadet around 1978 and that was Before ARFs.
If I may interject a correction. Linear had ARF's out the the late 60's. Approximately 1967 if my memory serves me. The fuselage was ABS plastic over a plywood skeleton with foam wings. I think there were 3 or 4 of them at that time.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Dash7ATP

ORIGINAL: iflyj3

My first RCPlane was a Kadet around 1978 and that was Before ARFs.
If I may interject a correction. Linear had ARF's out the the late 60's. Approximately 1967 if my memory serves me. The fuselage was ABS plastic over a plywood skeleton with foam wings. I think there were 3 or 4 of them at that time.
I stand corrected. However, they were a long way from the ARFs of today. A long way.

BTW, Iliked my MicroPro 8000 as well. Way before it's time. Ifinally got rid of my two a few years ago.

Joe
Old 03-17-2012, 02:34 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: rcjunky67

BOY! after reading more of the post on this thread,I feel like a hair in a bowl of soup!!! Please,forgive my lack of understanding. You see, I was trying to find others on RCU that have assembled and flown the same plane (ARF) that I've recently aquirred.I realize now that this is a builders thread,and because of my lack of experience,I know I don't have anything to add hear. I became involved in this wonderful hobby 4yrs ago,and as of yet havent built a model from a kit yet. I do have a cub kit .60 size,from great planes and I've also got a vintage Sig cougar kit wating as well.But as things are to date I have rebuilt 15 various models that I rescued from the trash can at the club I belong to.but all of them were arf models to begin with. I think I'll check back in,in about 5yrs when I've attained a decent amount of stick building experience. PLease forgive my indescretion, thanks
As long as it is a Waco, we don't make differences. We have has Brothers who flew the Cox version, and now the Great Planes version. Add to that, the Pica in both fifth and sixth scales, the Barth in a couple of scales, the Pepino in 25% and the AMR in 33 and 40% sizes. Now I'm coming along with my 27% version.

Trust me, not one member of the Brotherhood was a born modeller. We all had to learn, and that is the purpose for this thread. We toss out ideas, some good, some crap, and they are vetted by the membership.

Stay with us, and hang in there. You can scale out your GP (just be careful about adding weight).

Look at what Dan has been able to accomplish with his Waco. His is/was the first one built from plans with our templates. He has had a few brushes with terra firma but has come back strong with the most scale wing and wingtip yet. You can do it too.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 03-17-2012, 02:39 AM
Stickbuilder

NEW BROTHER ALERT !!!!

RCjunky67 is our newest Brother. He is Brother #222. Let's all welcome him

Junky, with a triple deuce number, you gotta just hang tough and stay along for the ride.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 03-17-2012, 02:42 AM
Stickbuilder

''I don't think it will fit into a rocker arm blister. Shucks! ''

Les
Damn!

I just had an idea . Since the head appears to be about a 1/4'' too high, I could cut the opening just big enough to clear the rocker cover on the YS and make a seperate ''double blister'' just large enough to cover it. If done right, it could look like a ''Mod'' to the real one.

Another quick question to the experienced Pros on this elete forum. It appears that the thrust washer on my YS may be too close to the front of the lifter tubes to allow for a good dummy engine. Is there anyone who makes an extension I could use that will allow me to mount the engine back far enough to mount a complete dummy in front of it? I guess the standard way is to just use the engine as one of the cylinders of the ''dummy'' and be done with it. I'm thinking about the AeroTech as I have one of theirs in my Yellow Aircraft P-47.

Thanks all.

Joe
Joe,

Just bite the bullet and get your mitts on an OS FT-160. They are the perfect engine for this model, and require no cutting of the cowl at all (well, you will need a couple of small holes for the exhaust. They run well on FAI fuel, and you can brew that up in your garage.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 03-17-2012, 03:30 AM
Dash7ATP

[/quote]

Damn!

I just had an idea . Since the headappears to be about a 1/4'' too high, I could cut the openingjust big enough to clear the rocker cover on the YS and make a seperate ''double blister'' just large enough to cover it. If done right, it could look like a ''Mod'' to the real one.

Another quick question to the experienced Pros on this elete forum. It appears that the thrust washer on my YS may be too close to the front of the lifter tubes to allow for a good dummy engine. Is there anyone who makes an extension Icould use that will allow me to mount the engine back far enough to mount a complete dummy in front of it? Iguess the standard way is to just use the engine as one of the cylinders of the ''dummy'' and be done with it. I'm thinking about the AeroTech as Ihave one of theirs in my Yellow Aircraft P-47.

Thanks all.

Joe

[/quote]

Joe,

Just bite the bullet and get your mitts on an OS FT-160. They are the perfect engine for this model, and require no cutting of the cowl at all (well, you will need a couple of small holes for the exhaust. They run well on FAI fuel, and you can brew that up in your garage.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

[/quote]

I'll trade you a YS 1.20 for an OS1.60 twin.

Joe
Old 03-17-2012, 06:33 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"Just bite the bullet and get your mitts on an OS FT-160"

I got one. And, NO, you can't have it:-)))))))))))))))

Les
Old 03-17-2012, 06:41 AM
Dash7ATP

"Just bite the bullet and get your mitts on an OS FT-160"

I got one. And, NO, you can't have it:-)))))))))))))))

Les

BOO!HISS!
Old 03-17-2012, 10:01 AM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RCjunky

Welcome to the Brotherhood.

Bill,

You are so right when you say no one is born a modeler. I remember the day we first met and talked Waco I thought I could never build a Waco from plans but you and the Brotherhood got me through the build. It’s been a busy month something going on every weekend so I haven’t had to much time to build I hope to have the top wing framed up by Top Gun so you can check them out. See you soon.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:19 PM
rcjunky67

Thank's for the welcome.I don't really know what I have to offer,but I realize I've got so much to learn. This thread is the most amazing reading that I've found so far. And the more I read, the more I also realise,this is more like a family in some way's... I hope to one day be able to build a true scale kit of one of these beautiful planes. As is probably typical,with all this killer info at hand ,I'll probably get in over my head before to long. The great planes ymf is a fun, or stand off scale model out of the box. And it will be a test bed in a lot of way's. I mean, I will try to make alot of changes to add scale to it , but being an arf, I will be somewhat limited. It's not my first bipe, but it is my first waco. I don't have to tell anyone here how beautiful these aircraft truly are. And one day ,hopefully with all your help, I will be able to do one justice with a real kit. Thank you agin for the welcome...
Old 03-17-2012, 05:46 PM
acerc

Welcome rcjunky67. You are absolutely right. This is a family of sort's. And all that is required is the love of the Waco. Welcome aboard brother, enjoy.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:25 AM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Edit. Info received.
Crank
Old 03-18-2012, 06:24 AM
Dash7ATP

I'm getting anxious to start my build, and that starts with the wings. Somewhere in the many posts I have read here is mention of plans to modify the wing tips for a much more scale like appearance. I am planning to redesign mine, but there is no point in re-inventing the wheel. If these plans have been posted, I haven't found them yet. Help!

Thanks,

Joe
Old 03-18-2012, 06:41 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"BOO! HISS! "

Na ner, na ner, na ner:-))))))))))))))))))))

Les
Old 03-18-2012, 01:23 PM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

I'm getting anxious to start my build, and that starts with the wings. Somewhere in the many posts I have read here is mention of plans to modify the wing tips for a much more scale like appearance. I am planning to redesign mine, but there is no point in re-inventing the wheel. If these plans have been posted, I haven't found them yet. Help!

Thanks,

Joe
Joe,

If you go back to page 574 you can see the progress I’ve made on the wing tips. Bill has helped me with this mod and John has provided the pictures of the full size wings I think there pretty close.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:15 PM
Dash7ATP

ORIGINAL: mrdhud

Thanks,

Joe
Joe,

If you go back to page 574 you can see the progress I’ve made on the wing tips. Bill has helped me with this mod and John has provided the pictures of the full size wings I think there pretty close.
Thanks Dan, I can see what youhavedone. I think Ican do something pretty similar. Ilike the fact that you have added cap strips to your build.. I always liked cap strips, but Idon't think I'll cut down all of the ribs just to add them.

Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.