Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 12:45 PM
Dash7ATP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I had gone with Solartex. I used Koverall, with dope and a water based poly over that (clear). I ended up using KlasKote for the final color paint. Mine is Red and Cream and there are quite a few photos way oack on line here. My biggest disappointment was I didn't use enough base coat paint to make it opaque, so you can see through the framework if the sun's behind it. I think ??? the was to avoid tht would be to start with silver Solartex for an opaque finish. After all, it is usually done on the full scale for UV protection.

The photos below are how I finally finished up on my N-Strute attachment arrangement. The brass parts are attached to structure in the wing. The struts are ath streamline tubing from K & S (I know, it's not a scale section). A brass strip wraps around a piece of 1/8"ID tubing and is epoxied to a piece of fitted wood that fits into the K & S> A 2-56 socket head screw holds it all together. So far, so good. Except it's a pain to assemble at the field, I was worried about losing the very small 2-56 nuts, so I first epoxied them to the brass with JB Weld. That held well and I didn't risk losing the nut. but I still had to fiddle with the small screw and I could still easily drop one while trying to fit the N-strut in place. The solution, which I have just finished, was to also glue a 2-56 nut to the outside on the socket head side. Now, I can back out the screw until the strut tube will fit between the brass fittings and the outside nut will hold it in place.

The photos show the fittings on the bottom of the top wing. One has the screw all the way in , and the other, it is out far enough to allow the strut end to fit into place.

I know that this will not help everyone, but if it saves me fifteen minutes every time I go out to fly, it will be worth it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 9.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	1963672   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 11.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1963673  
Old 01-30-2014, 12:58 PM
Dash7ATP

Default N-Strut attachment

I wish I had gone with Solartex. I used Koverall, with dope and a water based poly over that (clear). I ended up using KlasKote for the final color paint. Mine is Red and Cream and there are quite a few photos way back on line here. My biggest disappointment was I didn't use enough base coat paint to make it opaque, so you can see through the framework if the sun's behind it. I think ??? the was to avoid that would be to start with silver Solartex for an opaque finish. After all, it is usually done on the full scale for UV protection.

The photos below are how I finally finished up on my N-Strut attachment arrangement. The brass parts are attached to structure in the wing. The struts are the streamline tubing from K & S (I know, it's not a scale section). A brass strip wraps around a piece of 1/8"ID tubing and is epoxied to a piece of fitted wood that fits into the K & S. A 2-56 socket head screw holds it all together. So far, so good. Except it's a pain to assemble at the field, I was worried about losing the very small 2-56 nuts Nylock nuts, so I first epoxied them to the brass with JB Weld. That held well and I didn't risk losing the nut. but I still had to fiddle with the small screw and I could still easily drop one while trying to fit the N-strut in place. The solution, which I have just finished, was to also glue a 2-56 locknut to the outside on the socket head side. Now, I can back out the screw and the locknut will hold it place. Just fit the strut into place and screw in the 2-56 screw.

The photos show the fittings on the bottom of the top wing. One has the screw all the way in , and in the other, it is out far enough to allow the strut end to fit into place. The flying wire ends are the "forks" from Mick Reeves in the UK. Very neat.

I know that this will not help everyone, but if it saves me fifteen minutes every time I go out to fly, it will be worth it.

Name:	photo 11.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1963677   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 9.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	1963678  
Old 01-30-2014, 07:12 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

Cowboy,
I'm with Dan's & Jim's opinion of Solartex I have been using it for the last 20 years,actually its the only covering that I use.

George
WACO Brotherhood # 5
Old 01-31-2014, 01:06 PM
cowboyharry

Originally Posted by mrdhud
Cowboy,
You will love using solartex and it can be painted with most any type of paint. I painted mine with krylon spray paint.
Did you paint the Natural Solartex (which is unpainted) or did you apply a trim color over one of the pre-colored Solartex fabrics?
I was told by the re-seller that it's not recommended to paint any one of these except the Natural, but I have no experience with this material.
I would prefer to cover the plane with a pre-colored fabric and then just spray on the trim color as needed.

Also, I assume the Krylon is glow fuel proof...

Thanks for all of the good advice, I think I should have been asking question here a long time ago!
But then again, I didn't feel like I was stuck until now; I'm really out of my comfort zone since I've never used a fabric covering before.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:48 PM
Jim Henley

Cowboy, Solar-tex colored or natural needs paint to seal the material. You can use a clear coat to seal the covering. While Solar-tex is fuel proof, if not sealed, it gets real dirty real quick. I have not had any issues where I have painted colored Solar-tex. The Silver however will show through your paint especially yellow. If you use silver, you will need to spray white over it, especially if you use yellow. Hope this helps.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:50 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
At this point, I feel like I actually own a Waco. Not just a pile of wood anymore. I had to almost pull an all nightwear to get here, but I can sleep another time. I got the switches installed, and the fuel tank is installed and plumbed. Later I will take a trip and get some more fuel tubing so I can install and plumb the smoke tank. I also ordered the remainder of the wood this morning to build the wings. I'm not very happy with the cabane struts. They look like poop so I will try and figure out another way to do them. Bill, what size brass did you use for em?right now the stabs are just balancing up there and still need to be shaped and sanded, but I wanted to see how it looked. I'm also debating on the front cockpit. I think I like the looks of the single better. Well, still a lot to do.....but at least there's a Waco in my hanger!
i think I'm wacko for waco's.
Best I can remember, it was 7/32". I was able to slightly flatten it into an oval shape and still fit it onto the cabane wire, so it probably was 1/4". Clean the snot out of the wire and I coated both parts with silver solder flux, that's the white stuff, and when the temperature is just right, the solder will grab completely. I cut fish mouths in the diagonals and silver soldered them as well. The bungs were sweated in as well. Look at the pictures and you can see how I did it. A small rat tail mill file works great to get the final shape.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 01-31-2014, 11:06 PM
RCplanman
My Feedback: (16)

Cowboy, Solar Tex/World Tex are the greatest covering But I don't think they are glow fuel proof. I just use a top coat of T F clear
or use Rust olum. I think Krylon has a much better nozzle. I M O.
Bill
Old 02-01-2014, 04:43 AM
stevegauth30

It's probably not exactly to scale, but for me, I'm happy with how it came out. Much better than the first attempt. Everything is soldered and JB welded for added security. I still need to clean up the welds a bit, but it looks ok. I'll be starting on the wings today . I'm a bit surprised that I just placed another wood order on Thursday and it's scheduled for delivery today. I'm very happy with the quality and service from balsawoodinc.com. Especially thr prices. The only thing I don't like is that they don't carry 5/32 sheeting and when I called to inquire about it, all the guy said was "NOPE" just like that, kind of snotty like. Oh well.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	1964280  
Old 02-01-2014, 04:04 PM
stevegauth30

I had the pleasure of meeting George, AKA Ctflyboy, AKA, waco brother #5. What an awesomely nice guy he is, and a hell of a builder at that. It just so happens that he has a heck of a collection of Waco photos, all the important close ups. I'm quite glad I went to meet you George.thanks.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:47 PM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve,
Vary nice work looks much better then the wood. What engine are you using I see your using glow fuel tubing.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:51 PM
stevegauth30

Thanks Dan, if all goes well, il be mounting an OS 160 twin up front.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:10 PM
stevegauth30

Did they make any of the YMF-5's with a single cockpit? I kind of like the looks of the single place, but want to model it after a YMF-5 classic. I can't seem to find any. Maybe I should just make it a two place.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:23 PM
skylarkmk1

Steve,

I believe they only made/make dual cockpits. The front cockpit can be covered with a metal cover (either 2 piece or hinged to fold) or a "canvas" snap on cover and the front windshield can be removed and folded to store (hinges are part of the frame). The single piece wind shields are also removable and are just a little harder to store.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:37 PM
stevegauth30

Thanks john. Looks like a dual cockpit it is then.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:05 PM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Steve,
I just took a piece of vinyl glued some string under it for the effect and screwed it down. It worked out good I liked the way it looks.

Name:	158.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	1964532  
Old 02-02-2014, 11:15 AM
acerc

I made a fiberglass sheet, glued half stringers on the top, stitched the perimeter. A dowel to hold the frony with a magnet on the rear. Makes for quick and easy access to the electronics.

Name:	157.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	739.9 KB
ID:	1964645  
Old 02-02-2014, 11:19 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Steve,
Glad you like the quality and the price of the wood. Always makes me a bit nervous recommending a source as you never know.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 02-02-2014, 02:21 PM
stevegauth30

Originally Posted by WacoNut
Steve,
Glad you like the quality and the price of the wood. Always makes me a bit nervous recommending a source as you never know.
Later!!
Anthony
Why Anthony? Was that you that recommended them to me? I couldn't remember who it was. The prices are awesome, and the quality is quite good. Maybe a bit hard, but still good. For an extra 30% they can hand pick a certain density for you! but for me! it's not that big of a deal. The delivery time is outstanding. From the time I placed the order, to the time fedex signed for it, one hour. I've never seen that before. Probably just that I ordered just before the fedex went out.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:27 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah it was me over on Robert's thread.

Good to see that are still shipping nice wood.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 02-02-2014, 03:47 PM
stevegauth30

Yeps, other than the rude guy on the phone, you won't hear any complaints from me. Especially at almost half the price of every where else.thanks.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:25 AM
stevegauth30

Can anyone tell me if all four wing tips are the same? Meaning top and bottom? It looks like they are, I just want to be sure.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:35 AM
stevegauth30

Also, where are you checking the incidence of the lower wing. Tight to the fuse? Or out where the TE flattens out?
Old 02-03-2014, 03:06 PM
stevegauth30

Are these tips true to scale? Is the angle supposed to be that sharp? I only have one, but if I could use it as a reference..... It's what came with the kit.

Views:	83
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	1965049   Click image for larger version

Views:	75
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	1965050  
Old 02-03-2014, 06:38 PM
stevegauth30

So, I've decided to model mine after N88JP. I really like the colors and the silver on the blisters.

Views:	69
Size:	362.8 KB
ID:	1965147  
Old 02-03-2014, 09:23 PM
skylarkmk1

Steve,

Go to page 333 Post 8313 onward. You will find all your answers there and Dan may have more up to date templates for the ribs. No, that piece of junk is for some sort of a sport plane not a scale Waco

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.