Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 07:30 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Jim,

I only use Koverall (SIG) and Nitrate dope, followed by automotive finishing systems. I'm sure that there are other things out there that would work just as well.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 03-18-2007, 10:37 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Jim, I use my heat gun and heat the stuff as I pull, it usually comes off, color layer and all. If I have remnants of the color layer that outlast sanding the surface smooth, I figure the new covering , or the paint that goes on it, will cover it up. The only coverings I use are Solartex and Koverall.

Skyjet--I figure that once I have the needles set, they won't need fooling with, so I'm not gonna worry about them. I haven't adjusted the needles on my US 41 powered plane in over a year. What I am trying to figure out is how to work the choke. I can accept the holes for the plug/wire, they're underneath, but I don't want to make any more holes on the sides of that nice cowl. I am working on an idea, but want to test it before I decide.

I finally got the dummy trimmed to clear the engine and recess it enough to make it look good. Someone earlier said something about it looking bad if the engine is "shoved" against the front of the cowl, and I agree. Ideally, if I could have found a propshaft 1/2 inch longer than what the G-26 came with, it would have been perfect. At any rate, I made an alignment "jig" and mounted the dummy in the cowl this afternoon. It consisted of cutting pieces of lite ply and epoxying them to the rear of the cylinders; these pieces extend to the inside surface of the cowl and are epoxied in place. I then fiberglassed the seams, and reinforced the ring at the rear used to attach the cowl to the fuse with more fiberglass. I also added some baffles between cylinders 6, 7, 1, 2, and 3 to fill in the gaps between cylinders (full scale also has them). I can still get to the screws holding the cowl on easily.It's out in the garage (shop) drying now. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

NOW, maybe I can get some covering done That, panelling the forward fuse, rib tapes, paint, trim and final assembly are about all that's left.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:42 AM
Stickbuilder

I rebuilt the rebuild on the tailwheel last night. It now looks more scale like, and works well too. I thinkk that I'll stay with this iteration. I'll post some pics tonight.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 03-19-2007, 07:17 PM
khodges

Well, figured out my choke access problem, no need for another hole in the cowl. I used a nose wheel steering arm and trimmed it, placed it on the choke stub shaft at the front of the carb. It barely clears one of the dummy cylinders; all I have to do is hook a finger inside the cowl and flick the "lever" to open or close the choke. Thankfully I won't have to do this while the prop is spinning. The choke has a detent that keeps it open, I don't have to worry about the lever vibrating and closing the choke in flight.

Here are some pics of the engine installation (G-26) and the inside of the cowl showing how I attached the dummy. It ain't the purtiest workmanship, but it's on the side you'll never see anyway. All the holes are to allow the expoxy to penetrate the lite ply, there are holes in the backs of the cylinders too. I used milled fiberglass in the epoxy for a stronger bond, and then fiberglassed the whole backside of the assembly. Lord knows I shouldn't need much nose weight. The ring that holds the cowl to the fuse had to be cut for clearance for the muffler and carb, but the remaining screws hold it very well, with no flex. I also added another layer of fiberglass to the inside and outside edges of the ring, and another layer to the bottom of the cowl to stiffen it where it passes along the muffler.

Long day at work, don't think I'll do more today, just act like a retired Navy Master Chief and slack off, surf the forums, and irritate beginners about decals[sm=48_48.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88031.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	645510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41493.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	645511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29261.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	645512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn31743.jpg
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	645513  
Old 03-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Stickbuilder

As promised, here is the latest tailwheel. Thanks to Ken and others (I stole his design)(kind of - sort of) but as I said, I think it will suffice.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Name:	Xv64331.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	645514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81895.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	645515  
Old 03-20-2007, 04:47 AM
Stickbuilder

Ken,

Have you put the cowl on the scale? Wonder how much it weighs? Which dummy engine did you use? Sorry about all the questions, but I'm contemplating having to make one for mine, and I was just wondering.

About that decal thing....Why wouldn't they want it to look like an ARF? After all, it is one..[:-]

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

ps...I will be absent from the forum for a few days. We are flying out to Sunny California on Thursday for the Baby Daughter's wedding. Back on Monday. I think that I'll be pretty busy for the next 6 or so weeks, what with the Wedding, and then going down to Lakeland for the meetings associated with Top Gun. I have the feeling that Frankie T. will be wanting some time from us prior to the event.

Bill
Old 03-20-2007, 02:53 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

ps...I will be absent from the forum for a few days. Bill

Aahhhh, finally..... some peace and quiet

Sounds like you'll have a great time. Congrats to you and your daughter. Mine won't be ready for several more years, I hope. (9 and 14)

I never thought of weighing the darn thing, duh-uh. On my trusty and I-don't know-just-how-accurate spring type postal scale, it comes in (completed cowl/dummy engine) at one pound exactly. Probably pretty close. The dummy I used is from Aerotec, the only place I found a decent looking 7 cylinder dummy. It wasn't cheap, and is pretty basic, but has potential. It's made from some kind of resin.

As for the ARF thing, I'm doing my damndest to keep it from looking like everybody else's ARF

Blue Skies and Fair Winds on your voyage to the Granola Bowl (Cal.) and back.

Name:	Tq48613.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	646024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36731.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	646025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74912.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	646026  
Old 03-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: khodges

ps...I will be absent from the forum for a few days. Bill

Aahhhh, finally..... some peace and quiet

Sounds like you'll have a great time. Congrats to you and your daughter. Mine won't be ready for several more years, I hope. (9 and 14)

I never thought of weighing the darn thing, duh-uh. On my trusty and I-don't know-just-how-accurate spring type postal scale, it comes in (completed cowl/dummy engine) at one pound exactly. Probably pretty close. The dummy I used is from Aerotec, the only place I found a decent looking 7 cylinder dummy. It wasn't cheap, and is pretty basic, but has potential. It's made from some kind of resin.

As for the ARF thing, I'm doing my damndest to keep it from looking like everybody else's ARF

Blue Skies and Fair Winds on your voyage to the Granola Bowl (Cal.) and back.
This is the last one. She received her Advanced degree in December (4.0 Naturally) and is 27 Years old (actually, she has had 6 birthdays since her B-day is Feb. 29) There are 5 kids in all from 40 through 25, with the boys being the book-ends, and the girls in the middle. So, now I can start thinking about retirement.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 03-20-2007, 08:45 PM
khodges

There are 5 kids in all from 40 through 25, ...............................So, now I can start thinking about retirement.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Well, you didn't spend ALL your time in a submarine!

Hey, maybe you want to take up model airplanes when you retire, great hobby.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:42 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: khodges
Hey, maybe you want to take up model airplanes when you retire, great hobby.
You know, that's not a half bad idea.....I'll have to give that some serious thought.[sm=lol.gif]

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 03-21-2007, 06:28 AM
Jacque
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking on the net for aerotec, and can,t seem to locate them . would someone give me there Web add. thanks.

Jacque
Botherhood #27
Old 03-21-2007, 09:19 AM
bluehrnt

Looking for graphics for 1/4 scale waco. I bought a set from Cajun RC, very nice quality, but not quite the right scale. Are there any other suppliers out there?
Old 03-21-2007, 09:33 AM
Nightstalker

Try here:
http://www.aerotech-rcmodels.com/

Old 03-21-2007, 09:34 AM
skylarkmk1

Jacque,

Try this for AeroTech Models http://www.aerotechmodels.com The Dummy Radials are one the left (the pictures are a bit fuzzy). 1/6th scale are the 6-3/4", 1/5th scale are the 8". Good Luck

I fixed the link .
Old 03-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Stickbuilder

Nightstalker, You old chicken thief...

Just when I thought you were gone from the forum, you pop back up again. I'll try to return the favor when I fly over Arizona tonight.[sm=lol.gif] Talk to you guys in a few days.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Don't give Ken too much grief while I'm gone.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:52 PM
khodges

Try this one also: www.aerotecmodels.com/dummy.htm

I couldn't get Nightskulker, er.... Stalker's or Sklarrkmk1's link to come up.

Well, I tried it and this one doesn't even work, although I can pull the exact same address off my favorites list and it goes right to it. Just try entering the address manually and see if it works.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:10 PM
Jacque
My Feedback: (22)

Thanks guys for the aerotec add...........Jacque
Old 03-21-2007, 02:16 PM
Nightstalker

Nightstalker, You old chicken thief...

Just when I thought you were gone from the forum, you pop back up again. I'll try to return the favor when I fly over Arizona tonight.[sm=lol.gif] Talk to you guys in a few days.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Don't give Ken too much grief while I'm gone.
Too bad I don't have a barn... and I never went near your chickens... I swear!!! And your sheep are LIARS!!!!

Us mess with a Lt....? Naaaa

Nightstalker

Doggie 47
Old 03-22-2007, 07:02 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: Nightstalker

And your sheep are LIARS!!!!
Must be because they said you were handsome

Well, I couldn't stand it any more, I had to see her "naked", plus I wanted to get an idea whether she was gonna be a feather or an anvil. With everything in her except the smoke pump, control rods and covering/paint, she weighs 14-1/2 pounds, not too bad. She balances just a bit nose heavy at the recommended c/g point, which is 6 inches behind the top leading edge. I have some sheeting to do forward, and the tank detail on the top wing, but I think with the covering and paint, the balance will shift aft some. It will be close.

I decided on colors, and bought the paint. I'm using Krylon cherry red and a color called buttercream, it's a sort of light pastel yellow. The scheme below is what I'm going to do her in; the dark in the picture will be the red:

Name:	Us54418.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	647693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89336.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	647694   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82235.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	647695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb80990.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	647696  
Old 03-22-2007, 08:14 PM
Nightstalker

[quote]ORIGINAL: khodges

ORIGINAL: Nightstalker

And your sheep are LIARS!!!!
Must be because they said you were handsome

Well, I couldn't stand it any more, I had to see her "naked"

That's what I said... They drop me off into Bill's barnyard to fix a broke barn roof... and there's these chickens...mmmm... tasty... fried... with fresh corn on the cobb... from my Chinook's landing gear... so I'm gatherin' up tin scraps... and there she was... Bill, I swear!!! She liked the Nomex flight suit... She hit on me first... and said I looked handsome. ARMY fliers never here that... 'twas a moment of weakness... Dang you Lt!!! I was gonna be nice (Sir).

On a serious note (for a change... for now [>:]) Good looking pics... for an Air Force guy.

Out Here,

Nightstalker
Doggie 47
Old 03-23-2007, 03:28 AM
old git

To the WACO Brotherhood.

Williams 1/6 scale radial on eBay

Pratt & Whitney 1/6 scale WASP RADIAL ENGINE MODEL!!!
Item number: 330100501089

Hope somebody wants it, I am not the seller, besides I already have one.

Be quick, recently found it, maybe a day left, age related forgot!

WACO Brotherhood No. I4.

old git - - - - - - - - aka John L.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:31 PM
khodges

Gets kinda dark and quiet around here with the Master Chief on shore leave. I just about had to do a search to find the thread

Before I disassembled the framework to start covering, I levelled the plane up so that the H stab was at 0 incidence, and checked the wings. Both are dead on at minus 0.5 degrees. Eyeballing the fuse it does look slightly nose down, but I think it's just the curve of the forward fuse that makes it look that way. The prop is exactly vertical.

Not sure what all this will translate to when I try to fly it, but my guess is it will fly fine. Right to left everything is the same, no discernable twist in the wings; I checked incidence at every other rib from the center out, top and bottom. I also mounted the wheel pants and adjusted their angle and fit the wheels. To make the Robart wheels snug on the off-size axle diameters, I cut an insert from brass to fit over the axle and into the hole on the wheel hub. It doesn't fit snug on the axle either, so I'll use some silicone to glue it in place, so I can remove it if necessary. The wheel pants gear struts and the cowl have been sanded with 320 grit to prepare them for a coat or two of primer.

I may actually start covering tomorrow.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:12 PM
skylarkmk1

Hey John L (old git),

The dummy 8" radials from Aerotech are the same price ($60) and have the correct number of cylinders (7) available to simulate the Jacobs or Continental engines than the one on ebay (Williams Bros., P&W 9 cyl, $60 at last check). They may not be as detailed (a more generic cylinder) as the W.Bros, but being solid resin, should hold up better than the hollow styrene (I believe) that Williams Bros. uses. The WB kits do make up into a very good looking shelf (display) model.

Ken - We should let the Master Chief enjoy his leave with his daughters marriage. We can't help him liking to play with the big water toys. From a Retired USAF Master Sergeant
Old 03-24-2007, 05:44 PM
old git

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

Hey John L (old git),

The dummy 8" radials from Aerotech are the same price ($60) and have the correct number of cylinders (7) available to simulate the Jacobs or Continental engines than the one on ebay - - -
Hi Skylarkmk1,

I didn't recognise the significant differences between the motors (didn't look). I did know that the Williams are becoming rare.

I've been enjoying observation of this thread and both learning and collecting items about the different flavours of Waco, how they are built and even their builders.

I don't know of a source of Aerotech replicas, are they still made?

old git - - - - - - - aka John L.

WACO Botherhood No. 14.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:37 PM
skylarkmk1

John L.,

See post 1714, the link is there (and it does work now).

Some of Williams Bros products are being manufactured now under a new company. Here is the link http://www.williamsbrothersmodelproducts.com/ . I don't believe they have a Jacobs or Continental engine kit (yet?) but they do have the P&W Wasp and Wright engines and cyliders. Also a paper on scratch building a crankcase.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.