Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Top Flite Taurus

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 04:36 PM
spud8939
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Taurus

Hey Jim,
I had a sneaky feeling that was about the timeframe--fits real well with the airplanes.
Amazing how time goes by isn't it? BTW--I forgot to mention before, if you doa search on"Ed Kazmirski's Taurus" you will find Ed's bio--there are some beautiful pictures of his Taurus that shows the original color scheme to great advantage. They are in PDF--if you have any problem with them, let me know.
Soon,
spud8939
Old 04-09-2004, 03:31 PM
old git

Jim, I loved your photo.
Some years ago, 1960s I flew a Senior Falcon. A local model shop closed and I bought a few kits. Then there was work. I am now retired and thinking about how many planes there are to build.
I went into the attic to find my "retirement model" kits. A couple of them had the plans missing (wife had a clearout) I managed to get a copy of the Junior Falcon drawing but when I looked in the DeBolt Akrobat kit, the plan was there. I remember that I thought when I bought the kit how ugly it was. I felt the same recently when resurrected the kit.
Your Akrobat with dihedral looks good. I supose when you grow up with dihedral flat wings never look right. I am looking forward to building the Akrobat and may even borrow your colour scheme.
As for the Taurus, they were popular weren't they.
John L
Old 04-10-2004, 03:19 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To John (ol git): Welcome to RCU, the home of friendly people and vasts volumes of good information. You are so lucky to have those old kits ready for your retirement. The deBolt Acrobat is a very fine airplane - even with the flat wings. When I built the airplane, it was flown on reeds. Then I purchased my first digital proportional radio, and the Acrobat was the airplane I learned on. It was difficult to say the least - going from Reeds to proportional. Attached is another photo, that shows the color scheme a little better. As you can see, the weather was cold.

A few years ago I designed another model very similar to the Acrobat, but larger to accommodate the G-23 gasoline engine. This time I used "flat wings", and the airplane flew perfect. Harold deBolt was way ahead of the rest of us. How about this color scheme? See second photo.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46291.gif
Views:	69
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	120744   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45939.gif
Views:	87
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	120745  
Old 04-11-2004, 02:29 AM
old git

Jim,
Thanks for the pics. I am more than ever glad I made the decision to buy that kit, yours do look good. My first radio job had a 15" square black box with three or four tubular aluminium tubes plugged together for an aerial. It was made by Electronic Developments (ED). It even had an earthing stake. In the aircraft (Junior 60) was an escapement driven by a rubber motor. The engine was an ED 2cc, compression altered by using a coin in the slot in the head. As with many of my early power jobs nothing worked and I flew it as a glider. I would go to the nearest high spot and chuck it. I tried GG (galloping ghost) with a Cox .049 (exhaust throttle) but covered a small model, 30" span in silk. Flew like a brick. When a local chap at the flying field sold me a kit for a Super 60 I started to have a modicum of success. I bought Futaba proportional gear, what a difference!

My most successful radio job was a CG Senior Falcon. This was so good I decided to put it away until I was a more skillful flier. I went back to the Super 60. Work got in the way of modelling so when it became obvious that the 27 meg band was to be lost to cars and boats I sold the lot, plane and radio. The Senior Falcon still exists but is in need of repair. Moving and storing models wrecks them.

Many years ago I read in an American model magazine that if you have more than six engines you are a collector. I searched around the house and came up with 42 motors, some NIB and some with parts missing. Over the years I have collected more and with eBay it has been wonderful. I have had access to the American market. I don't know how long the future is but it looks really bright. I have also bought some early power kits on eBay. So many planes and so little time! Before I retired I was worried I might have too much time and too little money to build any models. Money is not the problem but time is still at a premium.

Materials have moved on a lot since I built a model, can you recommend a book which tells me how to mix and match finishes. I seem to remember that glow fuel proofer and dope had to be used but which on which and what to do for repairing a proofed finish was a problem.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:21 AM
Jim Messer

John: Interesting story of your modeling career. Does sound like you are a collector. with 42 engines. We flew lots of Senior Falcons, and they were excellent, easy to build, easy to fly. Sorry - I don't know of any books on finishes - just the articles that have appeared from time to time in the model magazines. I run all gasoline engines, so I finish with most anything - no need to fuel proof any longer. It's the only way to go!
Old 04-11-2004, 04:49 PM
Carson
My Feedback: (43)

The Taurus has always been my favorite plane. I probably built 10-12 in the early 60's and
have "scratched" 3 in the last few years. My first was built and flown at Andrews AFB in D.C. in 1962 (Ithink).
A few of us used to gather there on one of the unused runways to fly our models. I think our
unofficial gathering became the club that is now known as NVRC. We used to have some very
esteemed visitors on occasion-even had Walt Good a time or two. Most of our members were
military or Civil Service, I was the only US Navy member if memory serves me. I remember
Joe Solko and Chuck Porter but most of the names escape me but I still recall faces. Often wonder whatever happened to those great guys. Attached is a picture of my current Taurus along with my best friend. While my first Taurus was outfitted with Reeds this one has JR equipment.

Name:	Rp44643.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	121123  
Old 04-12-2004, 01:16 AM
old git

Jim,
I really love the idea of spark ingnition, I have a number of sparkers, problem, lack of throttle. I bid on a two speed timer, twin points but was outbid when I fell asleep at the keyboard. This was for an Atwood Champion but I don't suppose this was anything like as good as a throttle controlled motor. Have you any experience with sparkers and throttle control.

John L.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:37 PM
Jim Messer

To Carson: Nice looking Taurus. I can just imagine how well it flies with a modern day radio. Mine all flew on reeds- and that was challenging. Think I will blow up the design for a gasoline engine and proportional radio. About time to build something other than scale, and that should make for one great airplane.

To John: Sorry - have no work with sparkers and throttle control. I have tried to run some of the old engines on the gas/oil mixtures we use today, but it doesn't work - they get too hot. I guess the old engines need a lot more lubricant. Anyway, without good throttle control they are useless.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:51 PM
old git

To Jim,
Thanks, I guess I shall have to go back to my search for "Magic Bullet", "Universal Solvent" and "Holy Grail"
Old 04-12-2004, 04:07 PM
spud8939

Hey Jim,
I've been following your stuff on the Taurus thread (my favorite airplane), and noticed your comments on old engines. What you need to run them on is a mix of 30% SAE 70 oil or the closest to it you can find, speed shops are a good source, and the rest white gas. White gas is not the same as today's unleaded, but unleaded will work. The closest thing to the white gas from the old days in Coleman fuel that you can get from sporting goods places an also Walmart, I believe. They are not too usful from the point of view of the throttle, but they are a fun diversion at times.
Fly Fast and Low,
Spud8939
Old 04-13-2004, 09:48 AM
Taurus Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To Carson,
Flying the Taurus is great, I did see your picture.
Here is one of my Taurus on the runway in the Netherlands. I already did send a picture with a message to Jim Messer.
Why do the look the same, color scheme???
I did build the Taurus as much as original, wooden engine bearings, landing gear breaks, silk covering. It flies well with a HB 61 and Multiplex equipment.

Name:	Ro41922.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	121784  
Old 04-13-2004, 03:59 PM
Jim Messer

To: spud8939

You are correct. Back in the forties and fifties when we ran the old gasoline engines, we ran on a mixture of 3 parts white gas to 1 part SAE 70 oil. The oil at that time was regularly used in the rear-end gear box on cars, and was easy to get. I just thought I'd try using modern day fuels, with synthetic oil, but I found it doesn't work in the old time engines.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:08 PM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

You mentioned that you wanted to "Scale up" the Taurus. I ran across a Kit for a scaled up Taurus a year or so ago, called for a G38 I think. I'll check the "mess" i call a shop at home and see if I can find the name of the guy who kitted them.

BTW, you guys have got me wanting to build one a Taurus again. I've only scratched a couple of planes so far, although I've been flying since about '67. Yes, I had one back in "the day" but flew mine with F&M proportional and a K&B .45 if I remember correctly. I did manage to get a copy of the plans for the original design, not the TopFlite Kit. So who knows... maybe i'll clean up my mess, and make a new one.. airplane, that is!

and of course, If anyone has an old TopFlite Kit of either a Taurus or an Orion, that they'd like to get rid of for something less than my first born (actually that might not be a bad deal ) be sure and let me know!
Old 04-13-2004, 04:45 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

You can get a better kit than the original Top Flite from Joe Grasso at Vintage Kits---see mention of his name in this thread above. As I recall both the Taurus and Orion are $169.00 plus shipping. You will be amazed at the quality of his kits.

Rich
Old 04-14-2004, 02:26 PM
Carson

Jim: Yes, my originals were flown on Orbit and F & M Reeds also and the best I remember
flew well, of course we all had to get used to "Pulsing" the switches. My originals were flown with a K&B .45RC and the newest one has a ST .61 which is really too much power but that is
easy to remedy with the left stick. I would really like to have a ST "Blue Head" to install but have not found one. Your idea of an up-scaled Taurus sounds great..

Taurus Flyer: You have a really beautiful plane and I like the color combination but I did mine
like the original; Red/White/Black. Don't think I have ever built and finished one that didn't have that "personalized " scheme. I always felt that kazmirski's finish was just as distinct and beautiful as the plane itself. In 50+ years of modeling I have seen a lot of designs/finishes but never one that I felt compared to the Taurus. Perhaps it is because the Taurus was such a "stretch" from the usual "box with wings" that were being flown back in the 50's. I will never
forget the first one that I saw taxi out and take off-it was a sight to behold. The following week
I bought a kit @ $29.95 and started building.

Carl
Old 04-14-2004, 04:43 PM
spud8939

Carl,
Saw your post on the S. T. 60 "blue head"---check out ebay under "engines"--they show up often. I think there is one NIB--VERY IMPORTANT--I don't advise buying used, you don't know what you will get. If I remember right, it is a Perry pump/carb unit, quite rare.
Good luck,
spud8939
Old 04-14-2004, 05:27 PM
Carson

Thanks very much Spud. I usually don't spend much time on E-bay but will check out the engines section, just in case.
Carl
Old 04-14-2004, 08:01 PM
spud8939

Carl,
Here you go--- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...186984402&rd=1

Check it out,
Good luck,
Spud8939
Old 04-17-2004, 02:27 AM
Taurus Flyer

To Carson (Carl)
About the color Scheme. I've information that the original color scheme is based on the colors of the American flag. Bright red, white and navy blue. I have contact about building info with a colleague modeler who has seen the original Taurus in Detroit.
The colors of our Dutch flag is red. white and blue, so. These days the scheme is as on the picture.
Taurus Flyer
Old 04-17-2004, 02:34 AM
Taurus Flyer

Carl,
Here is the picture, I hope!

Taurus Flyer

Name:	Nk28005.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	123162  
Old 04-18-2004, 08:47 PM
Carson

Taurus Flier: That is really a beautiful plane. Is that a Mouse can extension on the muffler?
I'm not sure about the color combination as I have never seen the original plane but I have
a Top Flite kit box and it appears to be red/white/black but could well be deep blue.
Thanks for the picture and I compliment you on the building/finishing.
Regards
Carl
Old 04-19-2004, 03:38 AM
Taurus Flyer

Hello Carl.
Thanks for your reaction. We are happy to have a Taurus ready to fly. Yours is beautiful to.
On the muffler a alu can is mounted with central (closed) alu pipe. In this pipe several holes (1mm, 3/64") are drilled before and after the closed point. I could not split and modify the 25 years old muffler. to reduce the noise.
Taurus Flyer
Old 04-19-2004, 02:54 PM
Carson

Taurus Flier: Thank you for the information on the muffler. I have a SuperTiger .61 on my
Taurus which has the "Worlds ugliest Muffler". Although it is effective I would like to replace it with something more aesthetically pleasing. An earler Taurus that I had used an Enya .61 III
(old, old style) with a flow thru muffler which, while not very effective looked a lot better that
the ST. How did you attach the Aluminum can to the stock muffler?
Carl
Old 04-19-2004, 05:53 PM
spud8939

Hi Guys,
Here's some nice Taurus pictures in case they would be helpful to anyone. They appear to be of the vintage of the original Taurus by Ed K.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/museum/bio/Kazmirski.pdf

Fly low and fast,
Spud8939
Old 04-19-2004, 07:39 PM
Jim Messer

Me again guys: spud8939 - Thanks for the connection to the Ed Kazmerski write-up. Very interesting.

Well - I'm doing it. Making a big Taurus that is. Started the design a couple of days ago, and am well into it. BUT - there are problems. First - the engine I have available is an almost new Quadra 42, so that will be the powerplant. It has a rear exhaust which interferes with the nose wheel, so have decided this one has to be a tail dragger. Will move the gear forward, and since I have just completed a 1/3 scale Laser 200, for which I made molds for the fiberglass wheel pants - this new Taurus will have wheelpants to give it a more streamline look. The nose of the airplane will have to be modified somewhat due to the inverted engine, but I will try to preserve the original look if possible.

The wing will be 8 ft., but in three pieces, with the center section/wheels integral with the fuselage. The two outboard panels will plug into the center section at rib #4. Two full length aluminum spars will be used, which are set in a cradle at each end, thus allowing for easy/exact/square build and eliminates the use of tabs as used in the Top Flite construction. The ailerons will extend from rib 4 1/2 to 12, and will be wider than usual. If possible, as I get into it, theses will be Friese type, as per the real J-3 Cub. I like these alileons better than any other, so that's the plan.

The fuselage will be stick construction from "angle iron" type longerons cut from a 2 x 4. this makes for a very strong - yet light fuselage. Elevator and rudder servos will be mounted in the tail, concealed all possible. The top section of the fuselage will be removeable to enable one to get at the radio/batteries/ fuel tank, etc. This is necessary because of the integral fuse/wing center section being solid. No problem though, because the paint scheme will hide the break lines.

I started this job last Friday. By Sunday evening I had the elevator completely built. Today I designed all of the wing ribs, and have a full set cut/sanded - ready for use. Will keep some photos as building progresses, and will post when I can.

Here's a shot of the elevator - 36" across.

Name:	Om34497.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	124171  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.