Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Midwest Tri-Squire

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 05:45 AM
pd1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Midwest Tri-Squire

Love the hatch under the nose. I have to do that to mine. I noticed you added a new firewall to accommodate the shorter electric motor too.
Looks very nice.

Paul
Old 08-20-2010, 10:20 AM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ACS,
What do you use the Kilz for? I am assuming it's to fill up the fabric
weave. I'm not sure I have heard of that technique.
Dave
Old 08-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

The KILZ was simply used to hold the paper roll, as were a few others off frame on the other end. It could work as a primer for latex over dope I suppose.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:37 PM
Acs_guitars

Just thought I would show my progress for the evening. Not actually working on covering the airframe, but heading toward figuring out a color scheme. Here is the 3-view I created to help with the process as I have done with several other airplanes I have covered.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12547.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1487427  
Old 08-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Acs_guitars

No photos to post tonight, but I did get a good bit of covering done. I have covered the wing, cowl, hatch, and control surfaces. Just need to seal up a few pinholes in the wing and these parts are ready for paint prep. I have gone back and forth trying to decide which finishing process to use. I could easily get automotive, or rattle can paint, but I think it would be much nicer, and true to the vintage, to do a 100% dope finish. The only issue is the added cost of going all dope... the other types of paint are MUCH cheaper, but I don't think I'd be as happy with the final look. So far I am leaning toward going with the scheme on the box, nothing else I have come up with seems to fit as well.

Anyway, tomorrow afternoon I should be able to get the fuselage done, and be heading toward paint prep. Another few weeks and I should be ready to maiden!
Old 08-22-2010, 08:34 PM
Acs_guitars

Got the fuselage covered today. On to paint prep!

Name:	Fd92911.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	1488450  
Old 08-22-2010, 09:42 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh man, that looks good.

Looks like good workmanship, and seeing it in the covering brings back memories. All of mine were Esquires though.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:48 AM
Acs_guitars

Almost ready for color. The colored dope and retarder arrived yesterday. I have settled on a color scheme, feel free to make any suggestions. Again, I tried to keep it true to it's vintage.

Name:	Ay73259.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	1490652  
Old 08-26-2010, 01:28 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It looks real nice, but it made me notice the stab angle, and I looked back at your build photos to check. For modern 3 channel flying I think that angle is way too negative. It really needs to be pretty close to the zero lift line of the wing, otherwise you're going to fly with a lot of down trim. Not a terrible thing, but nicer to correct beforehand. Many people wind up sticking wedges under the trailing edge of the wing because of this, which is a poor solution.

Jim
Old 08-26-2010, 02:09 PM
Acs_guitars

Good eye... The actual airframe does not have the stab angle that is in the 3-view I drew. In the 3 view I was just too lazy to do it right. The TS was built to the plans and all angles are measured and set from them. Good advice though!
Old 08-26-2010, 03:08 PM
buzzard bait

OK...looking forward to the finished plane.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:42 PM
Falcon6667

really great looking. tell us what e-set up your using
Falcon
Old 08-26-2010, 05:56 PM
Acs_guitars

Eflite Power 15
Eflite Pro-40 ESC
4S lipo for power

This will be a bit over powered I am sure. I also have a .10 equiv. Turnigy motor and ESC set I may use and save the 15 for my Eflite Stearman that is sitting in the box. The Eflite set up is what was used when building the airframe, before HobbyKing really came around or I would have used the Turnigy components from the outset..
Old 08-27-2010, 09:09 AM
kamakazi

Ok now you've done it, I'm gonna have to find a short kit or scratch build me a Tri Squire. That was my 1st R/C plane way back in the 70's. I kept it for years then sold it to a friend who kept it for a long time and finally totaled it teaching another guy how to fly. Is there someone who makes a short kit, I hate to cut all them ribs out. Also can I find the plans for it. Thanks, any info will be appreciated.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Acs_guitars

ORIGINAL: fritzke

Here is the Lil Tri Squire and the Minnie Mambo mentiond earlier:
http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/Minni...o-GeneRock.pdf
http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/Lil%20Tri%20Squire.pdf

Gene Rock did the cad on the Mambo, I did the Lil Tri Squire

Dave
I doubt you could find a short kit without contacting a Laser Cutting Company and supplying them plans to cut the kit for you.
I was offering free plan copies, but my use of a free large format copier was left behind when I moved 2 years ago and charging for copies with out permission is not exactly legal.... I would suggest that you use the Lil Tri Squire plans (in quote above) scaled up to build a full size Tri Squire (50" wingspan). I still have the original plan if you have any questions (I should get some nice large photos of the plan to post as well). If you use the free plan scaled up, I would imagine you could have it built in bones quite cheaply.

For cutting the ribs, it is easy if you make 2 templates out of anything harder than balsa that will not sand down quickly. Make a rough cut of all the ribs and stack them with a template on each end. Then either pin, or drill a hole to dowel them together. From there it is as easy as sanding them all to match the templates. With them pinned together solidly you can also make the spar cutouts. My wing is a scratch build, most of the kit ribs were broken, and this is exactly how I did it. Using this method, all of the ribs will be exactly the same and it will not take long at all... I think it took me around an hour to do.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:06 AM
kamakazi

I am an accomplished builder, having built may planes from scratch and kits also. I just wanted my Tri Squire to be as close to origional as possible. If I could find a seet of plans thats all I would need. Thanks for your help
Old 08-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Acs_guitars

I just looked and found that AMA Plans Service offers them.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:48 AM
buzzard bait

I see they do. But why are they charging $27?! Plus postage. The idea that the AMA, which we pay hefty dues to, would try to squeeze money out of their plans service is kind of lousy. Back when I was a member of VRCS they made the AAMCO Trainermaster the build for the year, but when I tried to get plans I discovered our dear AMA wanted $35 for them. And VRCS was an AMA Special Interest Group, yet they'd scalp you if you tried to get the plans so you could participate. You'd think AMA would be encouraging the few scratch builders left by making the old plans available at their cost. And you'd think the least VRCS would get out of being a SIG would be to get reasonable prices on vintage plans.

Sorry for the rant. It was building up for awhile.

Thanks for letting us know...not your fault what they charge for it.

Jim
Old 08-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Acs_guitars

I am getting ready for color this evening! Tuning up the spray gun and doing final prep on the airframe. I'll spray my white base in the morning, hopefully get some flight time in, and mask off and get the red done tomorrow evening or Sunday afternoon.

ORIGINAL: buzzard bait

I see they do. But why are they charging $27?! Plus postage. The idea that the AMA, which we pay hefty dues to, would try to squeeze money out of their plans service is kind of lousy. Back when I was a member of VRCS they made the AAMCO Trainermaster the build for the year, but when I tried to get plans I discovered our dear AMA wanted $35 for them. And VRCS was an AMA Special Interest Group, yet they'd scalp you if you tried to get the plans so you could participate. You'd think AMA would be encouraging the few scratch builders left by making the old plans available at their cost. And you'd think the least VRCS would get out of being a SIG would be to get reasonable prices on vintage plans.

Sorry for the rant. It was building up for awhile.

Thanks for letting us know...not your fault what they charge for it.

Jim
I certainly agree and balked at the price as well. Exactly why the Lil Tri Squire scaled up would be my personal choice. If I still had the means to do it, I would gladly offer to do FREE copies for everyone... When I was doing it, I even put out the cash for shipping myself. I have learned to pay it forward in the hobby, I'd rather spend a few dollars to help another modeler than be ripping people off.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:07 PM
Falcon6667

kamakazi
If you come up with a set of plans let me know, Ill build one also
Falcon
Old 08-27-2010, 08:50 PM
buzzard bait

Acs, I just went back and looked at the photos you put up of the plans in your first post. Those are almost good enough to use, and along with the Lil TS plans, I think it's all I need. But if you get the chance, a more straight on photo would be nice. Thanks either way,

Jim
Old 08-27-2010, 11:47 PM
Acs_guitars

I got the plans down out of the rafters this evening, if I get time I'll get a tiled set of photos so everything will be nice and clear.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:34 AM
kamakazi

Falcon, I came across a Esquire kit that Midwest made that the only difference is , it's built as a tail dragger, which I would have modified if I'd had a Tri-Squire plan. This kit is now being produced laser cut by Early RC Models. I haven't mastered the link thing or i would have posted it. But im sure if you paste that into your browser you will get to the site. The kit contains a cad drawn plan plus all the laser cut parts and wood to build the kit for $85.00. That aint bad for a complete plane with plans laser cut parts.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:21 AM
Falcon6667

Tks. I built there falcon 56 , an used a electrick moter. was great build an fun. Ill check
Falcon
Old 08-28-2010, 12:41 PM
Acs_guitars

Just trying to help with photos, but has be ruled as against the rules.... Hope I can help with any questions about the plans atleast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.