Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

WWI Fighter Info - Aviatik D1 Berg

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WWI Fighter Info - Aviatik D1 Berg

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 07:25 PM
piolet
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WWI Fighter Info - Aviatik D1 Berg

Can anyone help me find resource information for a Aviatik D1?
I am trying to find scale drawings and information so I do it right. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks. Pat.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:51 PM
John Cole
My Feedback: (4)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Pat,
Believe it or not, there is an original example still existing in the Champlin Fighter Museum in Mesa, AZ. They have a web site I think. If you have trouble getting info from them, let me know.

John
Old 05-15-2003, 12:47 AM
piolet

Default Aviatik and Camplan Museum

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it! I am going to call them tomorrow. Do you know of anyone that has modeled this aircraft? I am building it in 1/4 scale and wow it is big! I let you know what I find.

Pat.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:49 PM
John Cole

Pat,
I`ve not seen one modeled before. But then, there`s alot of stuff I`ve not seen before. It`s a truly unique a/c. The radiator area will be interesting to duplicate for sure. I have drawings for the schwartzlose gun, and molds to cast Diamler cylinders if you need that kind of thing.

John
Old 05-15-2003, 03:38 PM
piolet

Default Aviatik

Man, any help I could get would be great! I guess I should just go back to the drawing board on this one. I have no reference material at all, but your suggestion of the museum has put me on the right track. I have a call into them today. I know absolutely nothing about the aircraft, but if you have materials that you believe would help, I would definitely be appreciative. Thanks again for your support and please feel free to contact me anytime.

Pat.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:01 PM
John Cole

Hi Pat,
Glad I can help you out! Send me your email address, I can forward some things that way too. I have the book by Peter Grosz, "Austrian A/C of WW1". Great piece of work there. I can look through it for more info if you need it. The D-1 has twin automatic Swartzlose guns, and I believe used the 180 hp Diamler-Benz in-line six cylinder water cooled engine, or possible the 200hp version. The plane at Champlin was purchased from someone in Australia, who had no idea what it was. It`s been restored and finished in a war time scheme, blotched with medium-brown paint with perhaps a sponge! Very unique. In-line engined WW1 a/c are reasonably easy to set up and balance.
Old 05-23-2003, 03:34 AM
piolet

Hello John. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was on vacation. I have been scouring the internet for info, but much of it is in a foriegn language! Yipes! Have you ever contacted the Smithsonian on any of your modeling subjects? I think I will attempt to call them and the Rinebeck Aerodrome people for assistance. I have found many plastic model reviews and I am trying to get info from those companies as well. My email address is [email protected]. Champlan museum had very little info and really couldn't turn me in the right direction. They said they had received the aircraft from someone in Austria many years ago, and that he had restored it, not them.

As always, anything and everything is greatly appreciated. Thanks again! Pat.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:16 PM
magnus_45

Default RE: WWI Fighter Info - Aviatik D1 Berg

Hello Pat,

Still interested in the Aviatik Berg D1 ?

I am preparing an Aviatik Berg D1, scale 1:10, for WW1 combat. Recently I have found some interesting pictures on the Wienna museum site.

Aleksander from Slovenia