RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   WACO YMF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/4058627-waco-ymf.html)

Jim Henley 06-23-2007 07:38 AM

RE: WACO YMF

H-500, your fuse looks real good to me. What did you use for rivets? Some of the scale guys here use tiny blobs of white glue. Also, how did you mark the fuselage to get your spacing? Did you use the Klass Kote primer?

Jim Henley 06-23-2007 07:40 AM

Bob,
I hear ya', our club is having a multi-wing fun fly today. Since the WACO isn't ready yet, I'll be there with my trusty Super Stearman, and WACO t-shirt on my back!

Hughes500E 06-23-2007 10:03 AM

Thanks, it is a real treat to see it all come together, I'm hooked!

Hughes500E 06-23-2007 10:13 AM

Hi Jim, yes, I used white glue in a syringe. I just went for it [X(] after the panels were put on and sanded a bit I used a felt marker again and just started putting on dots. When I started with the syringe I had a second change to get it better. I am using the Klass Kote products, very nice so far. I mixed the primer using white fast and their thinner with a 1:1:1 ratio. The high solids provided an excellent build up and really good coverage.

khodges 06-23-2007 11:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Hughes500E

Thanks, it is a real treat to see it all come together, I'm hooked!
Yeah, it's exciting when it finally starts looking like an airplane. Yours is looking very good, Hughes. I have a problem at this stage with wanting to hurry, sort of like seeing light at the end of the tunnel; you know it's close, and want to see it fly. I'll actually make myself quit working on it for a few days or a week to "curb the enthusiasm".

Old Git---How long ago did you buy the Ikon kit? The ownership changed hands a couple of years ago, and he's been trying to upgrade stuff. I forgot to ask him about "round pieces" like cowl and wheelpants, the things you usually get that are plastic or fiberglass. If they turn out to be vacuum formed stuff, I'll just use the pieces as molds and make fiberglass copies. I can't think of many pieces in the UPF that would be made from 'glass, plastic, etc, except for the cowl and pants that can't be made of wood. I never seem to use all the stuff in a kit "as is" anyway; I prefer to modify or replace some things that I feel can be improved on, even if it does raise the cost of building. For instance, on the UMF arf I re-did, I built new cabane and interplane struts, using carbon fiber tubing and balsa. This made them smaller in diameter and much stronger. I plan to do the same on the UPF and replace the piano wire included in the kit. I also made a deal with Aaron (Ikon owner) to omit the main gear (also piano wire) completely, for a reduced kit cost, as I plan to make an aluminum gear for it. I sent a money order this morning, now comes the wait to see if I get the service and if it is worth it.

Ricatic 06-23-2007 12:06 PM

Jay,

Thanks for the work you did on the shirts. Mine were at the house when I returned to town last night.

flyguy888 06-23-2007 08:00 PM

Sorry you feel they are crass. I am not at all pleased that you interrupted my advice to someone else.
My post was not addressed to you but you sure made it your business to make sure that you knew everything correctly and basically negated everything I had to say.
Even that post I quoted. You know the fundamentals but I only have opinions.
Your an arrogant piece of work.

ORIGINAL: damifino

Thank you Old Git for your input. I stand by responses and offer no apologies for my knowledge of and application of certain processes relating to my profession or hobbies. With all due respect to everyone; there is a vast difference between an opinion and an understanding of fundamentals. I am not splitting hairs here and a review of recent posts reveals the commonality present in most of RONJ10's posts. I, for one, am often put off by his crass remarks. If that is a weakness on my part, well that's just the way it is. In the future I will refrain from responding to the gentleman.

Jim Henley 06-23-2007 08:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Our club had it's anual multi-wing fun fly today, so while I did not have the WACO ready to fly, the T-shirt made it's debut.
Here's a coupe of shots. Sorry about the one on it's side can not figure out how to keep it up right. The other shot... Wing tip !?!
We don't need no stinking wing tip !!

Nightstalker 06-23-2007 11:24 PM

You look pretty stylin' decked out in "WACO" there Jim. Glad to see you wearing your eye protection too... don't wanna catch a piece of broken wing tip in your eye[8D].

Todd
WACO Brotherhood #47

khodges 06-23-2007 11:53 PM

ORIGINAL: ronj10

Sorry you feel they are crass. I am not at all pleased that you interrupted my advice to someone else.
My post was not addressed to you but you sure made it your business to make sure that you knew everything correctly and basically negated everything I had to say.
Even that post I quoted. You know the fundamentals but I only have opinions.
Your an arrogant piece of work.

ORIGINAL: damifino

Thank you Old Git for your input. I stand by responses and offer no apologies for my knowledge of and application of certain processes relating to my profession or hobbies. With all due respect to everyone; there is a vast difference between an opinion and an understanding of fundamentals. I am not splitting hairs here and a review of recent posts reveals the commonality present in most of RONJ10's posts. I, for one, am often put off by his crass remarks. If that is a weakness on my part, well that's just the way it is. In the future I will refrain from responding to the gentleman.

Jeez, that was only 5 pages and 110 posts back. Let's give it a rest, why not? It's an open forum, anybody can answer anybody. Put it in a PM if you want it mano a mano.

Jim, What happened to your wingtip? That looks like it might have been worse. I flew my DR-1 's wingtips through another plane's prop the other week, wasn't as lucky.

old git 06-24-2007 06:27 AM

ORIGINAL: khodges

Old Git---How long ago did you buy the Ikon kit? The ownership changed hands a couple of years ago, and he's been trying to upgrade stuff. I forgot to ask him about "round pieces" like cowl and wheelpants, the things you usually get that are plastic or fiberglass.

Hi Khodges,

I bought the kit a couple or more years ago, from a seller on eBay. I'm pretty lazy, I couldn't face stabilising the moldings and then making a female from the mold followed by a male component to use. Of course if you have a female master mold you deny the aircraft a chance to damage itself in a crash. Crashes never occur when parts are available to make an easy repair.

As to your modifications, I've always found whether building from a kit or plan I always know better than the designer, shame not everyone agrees with me.

WACO Brotherhood No. 14.

old git - - - - -aka John L.

Jim Henley 06-24-2007 06:34 AM

Ken,
I aborted my take off and the plane rolled into the grass and nosed over. The wing tip just caught the edge of the asphalt and snapped.
I planed to quit for the day and one of the club members said " cut that piece off and fly it anyway" I thought he was kidding but the more we kicked it around the more I figured it wasn' hurt all that bad, so we found some scotch tape and taped the monocote down so
it wouldn't tear off in flight and I flew again, to the amazement of all that were there. While it did tend to pull to the left a little,I was able to get one more flight in.
I have the tip glued back on now and with a little sanding and monocote, it will be as good as new.

Jim Henley 06-24-2007 06:42 AM

Todd, good to hear from you, Roger that on the eye wear. Nothing worse than having to pull a wing tip out of one's eye:D

khodges 06-24-2007 09:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Jim Henley

so we found some scotch tape and taped the monocote down so it wouldn't tear off in flight .
Even the full-scale guys do this when they need to.

On Sunday morning last weekend, when all the WACO's that flew in were leaving for their respective homes, the green UPF-7, NC39727, was at the fuel pump, just finished fueling and the pilot and his wife getting in to start up for departure, it was noticed that a section of seam tape on the right top wing just above the leading edge and about a foot long had delaminated from the covering. As it was parallel to the leading edge and was loose in such a way as to allow the slipstream to get under it and pull more loose (in what I thought to be a potentially disastrous spot), they had to do something about it.

Out came the duct tape, and a generous application stuck the offending seam tape in place; they fired up, and took off for Michigan, I think. I assume they made it, as I haven't read about a WACO crash yet.

old git 06-24-2007 10:55 AM

ORIGINAL: khodges

ORIGINAL: Jim Henley

so we found some scotch tape and taped the monocote down so it wouldn't tear off in flight .
Even the full-scale guys do this when they need to.

I watched the Istambul Red Bull Air Race (full size) on television and one of the compettitors lost a wingtip during one of the heats. Twelve hours later after judicious use of epoxy the tip was re-attached and he carried on. Five minutes ago I looked up the name of the pilot and the result but alas I have forgotten already. I'm not keen on getting old but it still beats the alternative.

WACO Brotherhood No. 14.

old git - - - - - - aka John L.

ffdq 06-24-2007 11:41 AM

Khodges,how long are you engine standoff,s or how far from the fire wall is the backplate of your engine mountI will use a g-26 on waco also.
thanks Fred

damifino 06-24-2007 11:55 AM

I have 6 XX Large WACO tees left. That is the end of this run of shirts. Thanks one and all! PM me with inquiries.

Now, got to get back to the building part of the WACO thing........

trlambsr 06-24-2007 12:26 PM

How about sending on to Dany Recine at
Team Genesis
2764 Truteau
Longueuil, Quebec
J4L-4E3
450-651-3494

Dany is the president of Team Genesis. give me your paypal email address and I will send the money which is how much with shipping??
TRlamb
WACO Brotherhood # 69

CROWMAN17 06-24-2007 02:12 PM

Jay,

Great work on the shirts !!! Very Nice. :D

Thanks,

Marc

Brotherhood # 40

khodges 06-24-2007 02:56 PM

ORIGINAL: ffdq

Khodges,how long are you engine standoff,s or how far from the fire wall is the backplate of your engine mountI will use a g-26 on waco also.
thanks Fred
Fred, my standoffs are different lengths on the right than the left, as I removed all the right thrust from my model that is built in to the firewall. But if you leave the right thrust in, then all four standoffs should be 1/2 inch to get the prop hub the proper distance. Without taking off my cowl and measuring, I don't remember the length of the ones on the right, but you can easily measure the distance by placing 1/2 inch spacers between the mounting plate and the firewall on the left, and then holding the backplate parallel to the front edge of the face of the engine compartment, and then measuring the distance to the firewall on the right.

Also, if you decide to take out the right thrust, you need to remeasure the vertical centerline on the firewall and set your engine centerline to that, as with right thrust, the engine centerline (at the backplate) is offset to the left about an 1/8 or maybe 3/16 inch, I don't remember.

I would also recommend reinforcing the firewall from both sides prior to drilling the holes for your mount bolts. I used 3/4 ounce fiberglass on the inside, lapped one inch onto the fuel tank box , and then fiberglassed the entire firewall and engine compartment face with 1/2 ounce on the outside. Don't know how necessary it really is, but my experience with ARF's has been the firewall lets go in about a year, or less.

yel914 06-25-2007 06:22 AM

Jay, my T shirts were waiting for me when I came back from vacation. They look GREAT! Thanks for all of your efforts.

Stickbuilder 06-25-2007 08:20 AM

Ken,

Did you make your standoff's, or did you use a commercially available set? I am going to do a further modification on the one that I'm building, and it looks as if I will need some standoff's in the 1 1//8" range. I haven't really attempted to mount the 160 on this one yet, but that looks about right by the eyeball. I'm thinking about turning some from 6061 T-6 for this one. I do know that there will be no (read that NONE, ZIP, Zero) blind nuts on this one. The engine will be through bolted, and there will be access to the back of the firewall to be able to replace the fastners if needed. That is what the removable panels on the sides of the fuselage (behind the cowl) will be used for (with the fuel dot inside as well). There is a lot to be said for using aircraft lock nuts and fender washers (lock washers too). I'm done with these cheap T-nuts that won't hold, strip, punch out (add your favorite screw-up here). I'm not going to use any stainless fastners either. Black carbon steel bolts will be used for mounting the engine.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Stickbuilder 06-25-2007 12:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Nightstalker

You look pretty stylin' decked out in "WACO" there Jim. Glad to see you wearing your eye protection too... don't wanna catch a piece of broken wing tip in your eye[8D].

Todd
WACO Brotherhood #47
Or a piece of Barn roof either.....:D

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Nightstalker 06-25-2007 02:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Todd
WACO Brotherhood #47

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Just when I thought you were over the barn roof thing... Hey, if you would have just stayed inside, asleep in your bed, you wouldn't have had to worry about flying barn debris, or flying corn stalks, soybeans, livestock etc.:D We weren't making that much noise - and who builds a dang barn right in the flight path of a low flying MH-47 Chinook anyways???

Out Here
Nightstalker... err... Barnstalker

Waco Brotherhood #47

Stickbuilder 06-25-2007 02:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Todd
WACO Brotherhood #47

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Just when I thought you were over the barn roof thing... Hey, if you would have just stayed inside, asleep in your bed, you wouldn't have had to worry about flying barn debris, or flying corn stalks, soybeans, livestock etc.:D We weren't making that much noise - and who builds a dang barn right in the flight path of a low flying MH-47 Chinook anyways???

Out Here
Nightstalker... err... Barnstalker

Waco Brotherhood #47
Yeah, but who ever heard of putting a refueling probe on the front end of a MH-47 Hook?????:D

You guys were having entirely too much fun flying NOE to allow peace-loving farmers to sleep through that much noise. You might be stealthy, but something the size of a hook makes tons of noise, not to mention the sound of metal roofing hitting the ground (and trees)
The cows might just about now be starting to give milk again. I doubt if the chickens have started laying eggs again.

And there is/was an FAR that addressed the minimum altitude for aircraft over a dwelling.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1