Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

Top Flite Contender gold edition.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 08:27 PM
KI6HNB
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite Contender gold edition.

I am currently building one of these kits and so far I really like it. I was wondering about enlarging the tail surfaces and putting the rudder and elevator servos in the rear. Good idea? Bad idea? I will be using Futaba S3010 servos which weigh 41 grams each. The motor I am using is the new OS 70 Ultimate. It weighs in at 17.4 oz with muffler. I know this isn't really a 3D type plane, but its all I have right now and I would kinda like to optimize toward that end. Suggestions?
Old 06-25-2004, 10:40 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Contender gold edition.

Other than the fact that you may have to add weight to the nose to compensate, there's no reason why you can't put the elevator and rudder servos in the rear of the model.

As far as enlarging the tail is concerned, first, the Top Flite Contender will not make a 3D airplane unless you can find some way to seriously lighten-up the airframe, or you wind up seriously over-powering it.

About the only thing we can say is that the model will perform as stated when built according to the instructions. Any modifications you make put you into the realm of model test-pilot, and Top Flite can't be responsible for the flying characteristics.

Sorry we can't be more helpful in this.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:00 PM
KI6HNB
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the reply. I don't have the fuse built yet, but I'm thinking I might be able to just move the battery up to the nose or something. I may not even do it as it looks like I would have to move the last former forward about a half an inch. Hmmm. We will see what happens. Thanks again tho.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:17 AM
BlackB12
My Feedback: (9)

I have a Contender 40 that was built from old plans and it came out way nose heavy with a Super Tigre GS40. I know the "new" kit is the 60 version so it may balance out better, but you may want to mount the servos 1st and see how the balance comes out.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:01 PM
Tomcat_AL200

leave it how it is, she's just a fun fly plane.