Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

Great Planes Texan

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 02:49 AM
bobbykokinos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Texan

I just bought a texan tonight and am putting it together.. I get to the part for the gear.. Im going with fixed.

Well, the manual says cut away the covering from over the slots where the gear mounts go (which should be right behind where the retract gears go).

Well, there are no slots there.. Ive pushed, poked, used a flash light and cannot find any slots of my wing.

What do I do? I dont want to mount them in the wrong place and have the gear rip out before I get it in the air.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:16 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Texan

From our reading of the instructions, the fixed-gear blocks are the forward mounts for the retract gears. The block is at the forward edge of where you cut out for the retracts.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:37 PM
bobbykokinos

Im confused. According to my instructions, and the included photos, there should be two slots behind the wheel wells where the retracts go in. Looking at the photo, the slots are about 1/2 inch behind the wheel well and extend from that point to aprox 1 inch away from the side of the wing.

Problem is, I dont want to start hacking into the wood and find there is no bracing for the landing gear.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:29 AM
Bax

The slots are FORWARD of the wheel well. They are between the leading edge of the wing and the retract cutout.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:50 AM
bobbykokinos

Maybe I just dont understand, but I beg to differ that the slots are forward of the wheel well.. Let me show you:

Manual shows them BEHIND the wheel well (sorry for my poor artistic ability)

There is a vertical slot for the gear, but there is no horizontal U slot for extra bracing..

As you can see, from the first picture in the manual, the shaft of the gear mounts flush against the wing behind the wheel well. I am assuming there is a U type slot, the length of the shaft, for extra bracing. Well, on my wing, you can tell there is no slot because how the straps are arched so I can screw them in.

The problem is, my wing did not have that slot for the shaft. I learned the hard way that I need that slot for bracing. 2nd landing ever on this airplane, the landing gear ripped out of the left side, as you can see from my picture. Thus, flipping the airplane over, ripping off the canopy, cracking it, and ripping the screws out of the body that were holding the canopy in.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but is it possible that this is just a factory error that slipped by? I understand it happens once in a while. But, without that slot and the extra bracing from it, I dont think this plane will handle many more landings. Unfortunatly, it turns into a chore and no fun when you have to reglue the gear everytime you fly.

Any help you can give me??
Old 08-11-2004, 11:24 AM
Bax

OK. I did some checking. I must have been looking at an old set of instructions. We did a physical check of a model.

The hardwood landing gear rail for the fixed-gear installation is UNDER the balsa skin immediately AFT of the retract cutouts. You'll have to trim the sheeting to get to the slot.

We're sorry this has taken some time to resolve.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:07 PM
bobbykokinos

Unfortunatly, I have already ripped out the landing gear on the second flight.

I had called hobby services and spoke to a gentleman. He stated to go ahead and send the full wing and canopy back for a replacement. I bought the airplane July 28th, but I will not be able to ship it out until this coming monday.. Will that still be withing my warrenty time?

This is what I'll do.. Since I've already ripped the gear out once, I may try to find the landing gear rail.. If I do and I can get stuff braced up good, then all you will have to send me is the canopy. If I dont find them or I see when it ripped the gear out that it did more damage than expected, then I'll send this wing and the canopy in for a replacement.

Is that acceptable?